1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does shooting skeet hurt your trap scores?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My daughter has been shooting trap for 3 years.. she is 13.. and has ran a few straights.. she has never shot a round of skeet until last weekend, between trap rounds we were watching two guys shoot skeet.. she commented.. I could never be able to shoot skeet.. I told it was nothing to it, we swapped her barrels put in some skeet chokes and I told her to watch me and do what I did.. well I was splitting them and chipping them and she was centering them.. on her first round she out shot me and shot a 21.. I told her she couldnt imagine how good that was for a first round.. when we went back to the trap field one guy said.. dont let her shoot any more skeet.. my kid used to be a 92 avg. trapshooter.. he took up skeet and now he is a 82 avg... later on a guy told us.. shoot all the skeet you can, it will improve your trap shooting...so..which is it?? and btw.. she thought shooting the skeet was really fun!!thanks!

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think skeet improves my trap game. Reminds me that I need to LEAD THE BIRD, even on quartering targets.

3. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I've pretty much given up shooting skeet and sporting clays because I felt that it was throwing my timeing off in Trap shooting. Simply MY opinion...Odie

4. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

If shooting skeet hurts your trap shooting, then no trap shooter should ever go bird hunting. I think you would have a hard time selling that idea. When I first started shooting targets, I shot both, I enjoyed skeet more but liked the competition in trap. Became an A-27 trap shooter while shooting skeet every week. Life is too short not to enjoy it all. RM

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Kids are supposed to have fun. HMB

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I believe in what HMB said. Keep it as fun for as long as you can.

I believe that shooting any and all clay targets is good. It teaches a lot about why different conditions affect the target path so much. If I had to shoot one discipline it would be sporting clays. I'm just glad that I don't!

ss

7. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Good one Jim...lol

8. The Stive

The Stive Member

I do not believe that shooting skeet hurts my trapshooting. I think that it has helped me on hard lefts on post one and hard rights on post five. John

9. algebra1

algebra1 Member

I'm with hmb.We used to run a shotgun challange or iron man shoot where you shot 50 skeet,50 sporting clays and 50 trap and then had a party at the end.You could shoot your skeet on Saturday and clays then trap on Sunday or all in one day if you where short on time.Just a fun weekend of shooting that brought all shooters together and helped out different clubs as well.

10. seitz647

seitz647 Member

I used to think so - but a target is a target - both require head down, see it shoot it, follow thru - I shoot skeet low gun, and it usaully takes a round or 2 to get back into it - I also shoot alot of sxs on skeet and going from a 9lb gun to a 5 or 6lb gun takes a little adjustment - Its good sometimes to get away from the trap feild for a while and have a little fun - also good bird hunting practice - J Mroczka

11. missed some

missed some TS Member

In the league I participate in we shoot 25 16's, 25 skeet, and 50 trap doubles, pulling a trigger is gonna help your game, no matter if it is shooting hedge balls outa the hedge tree.

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I with Tim 110%! Any "trigger time" (practice shooting) is good as it improves the shooter's gun handling skills. If anything, trap may hurt skeet shooting skills instead of the other way around. In trap, many struggle with leads on hard rights and lefts. Skeet teaches the shooter to move the gun and not be intimidated by learning to lead the target. If she enjoys shooting - skeet or trap or sporting - by all means encourage her. Best Regards, Ed

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Skeet is helpful. If you approach it half serious, you will improve your visuals, leads, and smooth out your swing. A herky jerky trap style stab at the target will be a lost. Moving before you SEE the bird will be a lost. Shooting where the bird WAS will be a lost.

Having fun is a plus.

HM

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

15. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

Shooting skeet will help your trap shooting, and shooting trap will help your skeet shooting.

Those are the facts.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I shoot trap competitively and skeet recreationaly. Skeet has noticably improved my field shooting abilities (probably beacause I practice with my field guns). I also think skeet has helped my swing on the harder trap angles. Certainly hasn't been a bad thing.

One of the big pluses about 'jumping the fence' and shooting a little skeet is that it gives your trap shooting buddies lots of fodder for future jokes at your expense. You can propigate this to insane levels by wearing a pink shirt and/or rindstone sunglasses now and then. Its all fun.

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

NO, Shooting Skeet will not hurt your Trap game. I did have a little problem the other way around. I found that a round or two of Trap hurt me for the first round of Skeet, but after doing this 3-5 times even that went away. It was more than likely all in my head. Don't listen to these people and shoot any and all targets you can. Children love to learn and try new things, don't hold her back and let her tell you what she likes to shoot best. Wish I could watch, as it sounds like your going to have a great time over the next few months. Have Fun and Break-em all. Jeff

18. razor

razor TS Member

shooting a few rounds of skeet in the spring helps me loosen up after a long winter. one more thing if you go shoot prairie dogs for a few days when you come back you really squeeze the trigger the first time you shoot trap. ha ha, razor

19. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

FWIW, one of the best trapshooters I know (AAA27AA) is also a top level Sporting Clays instructor, and I would hate to go up against him on any skeet field.

Another shooter I know dominated skeet shooting in this area, then switched to trap and won several large trap tournaments.

When all the fluff is removed from the equation, it seems that there are a few very important principles to hitting a moving target with a shotgun. And if those principles are applied, regardless of the game, the scores will be high.

bluedsteel

20. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Shooting skeet doesn't hurt anything about your trap scores. If anything it should help you with your gun swing and leads. Alot more gun movement in skeet and sporting. I shoot 85% trap and about 15% skeet or sporting. I wish I could shoot more skeet and sporting but my schedule and free time is what it is.

Maybe this is just my findings but, I see and have shot trap with more skeeters and sporting guys than I've seen trapers head to the sporting or skeet fields. But, this is just my observation and based on my times out.

I'm always up for a humbling experience. I'm sure some bunker this spring I'll be shooting will do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.