1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does shooting one-eyed help some shooters???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cec, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cec

cec TS Member

Does shooting with one-eye help some shooters increase their scores? What is your opinion?

Scores have increased by using the FieldandClays Magic Dot Eye System because, when properly placed on shooting glasses, the dots force focus through a shooters dominant eye. The Dots help eliminate cross-over sighting and double target vision. No adhesive is used which prevents gumming up your lens and they can be easily removed and replaced.

2. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I can't speak to the dot system... any kind of occlusion on my glasses kicks in a vertigo attack for me. I simply close my eye... and after cross-firing most of the target year, I am very pleased that all but one of my sgl and hcp scores at TX state shoot were in the 90s.

3. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Ask Nora Ross.

4. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

What do you ask Nora If she thinks she could be a better shooter than she already is?

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If a shooter is experiencing some kind of visual deficit shooting with one eye would always be preferable to shooting with no eye.

6. cec

cec TS Member

If Nora Ross doesn't visit here, what in your opinion would she say. Or, what advice would she give?

7. The Stive

The Stive Member

It helps me. I prefer to shoot one eyed. John

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Does shooting with a glove help some shooters?

Does shooting with blinders on glasses help some shooters?

Does shooting while hopped up on caffiene from coffee help some shooters?

Does shooting with fresh clean never before washed pink boxer shorts with I love a skeet shooter on them help some shooters?

The answer to your question is yes it does help some but some it may hurt and for those that the underwear thing helps ... lets just say we dont really want to know who you are.

Its up to the shooter and its up to who believes the hype of the advertising for the product your asking about to help you make the decision your trying to make. Some shooters will try and buy anything they think that will help them improve there score while others will just work at it and do what works for them while working at improving.

Some shoot better and some shoot worse while others just cant shoot but order that product to sell on your website and such and if people order it than you know the answer to your question and if people do not order it than you know they dont believe the advertising hype.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Only if you have one eye......One is better than none.......Of course, two is better than one......

10. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn shooting 2-eyed. Have crappy averages to show for it. All those things that are supposed to help (dots, tape, tubes, etc), nothing but a distraction. Went back to one-eyed shooting and my averages are now competitive (low 90's for 16's & caps). Nora, at her clinic, re-affirmed my belief that I'm a better one-eyed shooter, than a 2-eyed one. I think I'd just listen to her (or Phil Kiner) than try another "magic fix." YMMV.

11. TrapMan3

TrapMan3 TS Member

As a junior, through college and shortly thereafter I was a three position smallbore rifle shooter. The only real reason to keep my left eye open was to see better with my right (sighting eye). I was coached that by keeping both eyes open you actually see better through the sighting eye. I used a blinder to cover the left eye.

In trap shooting I struggled a bit to keep both eyes open at first. Just because of habit. I tried the blinder approach, but aside from looking like an idiot, it really screwed up my shotgunning. With two eyes I can see the target quicker, hold a higher gun and the sight does not overwhelm my focus.

When at my first Inland Empire Handicap shoot a few years ago gunsmith, Phillip Crenwelge put a fiber optic sight on my gun with a long channel in front. This makes it impossible for my left eye to see the front sight. Works great. Not sure where he got it, but I ran into this web site that has one. easyhit-usa.com. See photo below. My sight does not have as long a bead as this one in the photo.

On the other hand. I think this is a preference of the shooter. Like anything try it out a couple of times and then make a decision and stick to it. Don't keep switching back and forth. Makes for lousy trap and golf scores.

[​IMG]

Carl
    http://trapsites.com/trapman

12. PhantomTrapp

PhantomTrapp TS Member

I shoot one-eye. Some people say switch to two eye, but the majority say "Well you're always breaking in the 90's, something is working for you. So don't change it." If you are happy where you are, and you're breaking targets, don't let someone else's advice come before that.
    -Phantom

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Phantom is right on target. If your shooting scores you can live with and your happy where you are you don't need to improve.

I don't know the answer to this but which is better for you closing an eye or using a magic Dot. Assuming you can close an eye I know some who find it almost impossible to close their off eye.

14. cec

cec TS Member

Not only is it difficult for some shooters to naturally close one eye, but also even when they do… eye fatigue takes over at some point in competitions. Then the reoccurrence of cross sighting is probable. An eye Dot will prevent the eventual on set of eye fatigue.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

When I first shot shotgun I did the dominant eye test and my right eye appears dominant. However, when I mount the gun my eyes must be close enough in dominance as they cause me significant distraction seeing two ribs in my peripheral (sic?) vision. I close an eye to eliminate that problem, but by doing that, it naturally causes some squinting of the other.

Some have recommended dots, frosted tape, a blacked out lense... one day I might be a replacement for the Hathaway Man (for those old enough to remember who he is! (lol))

Jay

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I always try to use at lease one eye. Have found that it helps.

Gne J

17. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This will probably sound strange, but I shoot with one eye and a low gun hold on post 1 and 5, and two eyes with a high gun hold on post 2,3,4. I guess what ever works, Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.