1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does price of tournament gun dictate it's quality?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Does price of tournament gun dictate it

Hello:
    Does price of a tournament trap gun, dictate it's quality? Let's face it, you can add gold to any gun to increase the price. But does the basic price of a shotgun determine it's quality of workmanship, or dependability? Example, is the basic Seitz a better tournament gun than a beretta single barrel because the Seitz cost more?
    Steve Balistreri

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Steve, Daniele Perazzi seems to think so but it is the other way around, quality dictates price.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Some gun builders think like choke makers; give everything a high polish and people will think that this also means it's high quality. Put a mural on it and you can automatically up the price. The time spent making shiny where it doesn't matter doesn't add a thing to the function or reliability of the gun... only to the price.

MK

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Nothing like out shooting them with a Remington 1100. HMB

5. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I believe it has alot to do with it, minus the gold and engraving it takes good material and workmenship to make good products period.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Like JerryP said, Quality dictates the price, the gold don't make them shoot any better but the way they are made inside does ... I do not shoot guns that are out of reach or over priced for me though they may be for some other people ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Simple answer: NO

Rule of thumb, if it fits you'll hit!

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Maybe everyone should post their averages when they comment just to varify the experience of the poster. Granted, it's not the arrow, it's the indian, but the bow has to have the capability of putting the arrow where the indian looks....and it does make a difference.

Edit: Timberfaller, you should add "and can deliver your POI", you'll hit.

9. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

The answer may be NO but for crying out loud no one tell the wives!

I do there is a threshold to overcome for quality we are way past that when you hit the Berettas and even SKB combo price points. Remember too that manufacturers of firearms are taxed rather heavily from the State Department and that goes into the price too!

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Pretty is pride of ownership. If you got the money,you like to exhibit it. Cars,airplanes,boats,guns,you name it. Clyde

11. rdf59

rdf59 Member

How many birds out of 300 does a sloppy trigger cost?

How many birds does a barrel whose POI is off by a foot at 40 yards cost?

How many birds does poorly (design)managed recoil cost?

How many low cost guns suffer from 1 or more of the above?

How many high cost guns (without the decorations) suffer from any of the above?

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"Granted, it's not the arrow, it's the indian, but the bow has to have the capability of putting the arrow where the indian looks....and it does make a difference."</blockquote> That's why I feel really cheated every time my XT puts it to some poser with a SeitzoffKolarazzi.

MK

13. senior smoke

RDF59:
    Your response seems to make sense to me.
    Steve

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, I'll give you my Honest answer, if you tell me the Honest reason you are still shooting with a 870 TB!!! Oh Yeh, Did you have Bill Mains install any gold on it at all??? Some of us would like to know. Break-em all. Jeff

15. pdq

pdq Member

Steve:

Talk to Rich Phillips at Silver Seitz. Ask him about the block of stainless steel (not regular steel) he starts with to machine the receiver. Then how he heat treats it for hardness, then how he coats any contact surface areas with titanium to further reduce wear.

Then ask him if this is how all guns are made.

I think this will answer your question about build quality and durability.

Oh -- unless you pay extra for the gold plating option, their guns are very plain. Zero engraving other than the small side access plate that has the serial number and your name.

But -- the other very important question is -- do you need that level of quality? Some shooters go out on the weekend, shoot 100 targets and that's it. At that level of use, buying a used BT-99 in good condition would be a very viable way to go & last for many years -- they are very good guns.

Pete

16. B-Rod

B-Rod Member

The steel grade will be the same in most guns. Speaking from a Metallurgical stand point.
    Once you harden (austenize/temper)the metal they will all perform the same and have the same life span.
    The only difference is the grade of the gun you choose(wood upgrades, scrolling, etc).
    Regard, Bill R.

17. senior smoke

Jeff:
    Here is my honest answer on why I still shoot an 870 TB. 41 years ago Vic Reinders spoke to me the very first day that I walked into the Waukesha gun club. He suggested I purchase a 870 tb, don't buy and trade guns, use the money I would normally spend on trading guns and use that money to shoot.

For the first 30 years I did not listen to him. In 1972 my grandmother passed away and I inherited $1,000.00. Dick Bennett was the owner of the Boxhorn's gun club and at that time he was selling Perazzi Comp 1's and Kreighoff trap guns. You could purchase either one for $650.00. I purchased the Comp 1 and it came with .56 thousand choke.

At that time I knew nothing about cast to a stock, or choke etc. The highest score I ever shot with that gun was a score of 14. I had a mouse under my eye and a fat lip from that gun. I traded that gun for an old style BT99 and some cash.

With the cash I got in the trade, I started purchasing 870's in all grades except F grade. I owned every grade of 870 except the F grade. I could never really afford an F grade. Quickly I realized that the only gun I could ever really shoot was the 870.

My squadmates shot three 870's, and 2 kreighoffs. Myself, Luther and his son Gary took pride in beating fellow shooters with high end guns with our 870's. For the past 10 years no matter what gun I shoot my scores are bad.

My house is up for sale, and as soon as I sell it I am moving to Scottsdale Arizona. Once I get the cash proceeds from the sale of my house I will be purchasing three dream trap guns of mine.

One will be a Perazzi MX8 combo set, a model 12 pigeon grade trap gun, and a Perazi TM1. I will need left hand cast, and hopefully I can find these NIB.

I presently have 3 870's for my grand kids. one is an all American grade nib never assembled 870 purchased from HOF Ruby Jenner who originally won the gun. One is a 1964 TC with great wood, and one is a like new D grade.

Now you know why I shoot an 870.
    Steve

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There was or is a Lawyer out here that shoots a Remington 1100, he could rebuild it in between traps because he had done it so many times ... He said that anytime he can least afford for it to break down thats when you could bet the farm that it would ... He had a briefcase full of parts that he carried with him and a safe full of them that he used for parts ... I asked him why he never bought a reliable gun and he said his 1100 is reliable, he knew it was going to break, just didn't know for sure when ... The last time I ran into him he was still shooting the same gun, it broke down and he rebuilt it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, Nice story!!! To answer your question "NO". In my belief a $150 barrel from a 870 will pattern just as good as any other high dollar gun, if properly made. What I believe you get for the extra money most of the time is a more dependable gun, a better trigger, a better balanced gun, a gun that holds it value better than another. I too started with a wingmaster 870 TB. I still have it. I too did up grade to a BT-l00. Just made more sense as the adj. comb, and adj. butt plate the 870 needed after a short time later would cost as much as the gun was worth. I still like to shoot it from time to time. Best of Luck with your move!!! I was just thinking, maybe one of the 3 guns you want after the home sale might be one of those F grade wingmasters you always wanted!!! Just a thought. Break-em all. Jeff

20. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Setterman, in regards to you post re you average when you post on this thread. I believe that the question was about "quality". I believe that quality dictates how long you can shoot it not how well you can shoot it. I took mine to the factory for service and they said don't come back until you have 60,000 rounds through it. That's quality, whether or not I can shoot it for a high average is a question of ability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.