1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Powder go bad?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wolfee, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

I have not reloaded for a few years for various reasons. I have a partial can of Int. Clays I have had for sometime, and just wondered if it had a shelf life, and how to tell if it was bad.

2. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

jim that clays should be fine as long as it was stored in a dry cool room. if it is bad i think it will have a strong acidick smell.I still have a 1lb can of winchester 571 that i have had for 7-8 yrs and i think it was on the shelf for 10-15 at the sporting goods store where i bought it!

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would want to test a few loads made from powder that is over 50 years old. Thirty year old powder should still be fresh unless it was stored in the attic with the lid not well sealed.

Pat Ireland

4. IM390

IM390 Member

January 4, '08 a 500 lb bomb from the RAF was found while digging next to the highway in Yorkshire, England. They packed it up with sand bags and detonated it. Photos in April issue of Guns and Ammo. It blew a big deep hole.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I would suspect it is OK. I also have been using 4831 that was circa WW2.

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Keep your powder dry!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.