1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does porting effect shot speed or pattern?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I was wondering if porting effects and slows down your shot speed alittle thus effecting your pattern?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

No, but if it works, it must make the gun shoot lower, which can be a good, bad, or neutral thing.

Neil

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes, but Neil hasn't figured out a way to measure it yet. HMB

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Open the website.

More facts, theory and conjecture than you ever wanted to know about porting.

Somewhere in all this text you will find a reason to port your trapgun barrels.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I agree with Neil, porting must make the gun shoot lower; however, I am not convinced that it will shoot very much lower. Porting should not reduce velocity. There is not a velocity difference between a 30 and a 32 inch barrel. So if reducing the barrel length by 2 inches does not reduce velocity, a few holes in inch or so from the end of the barrel will not measurable reduce velocity.

Pat Ireland

6. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

Do ported choke tubes have the same effect as porting the barrel??? Jerry

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

No Porting will not slow down your load. Powder is burned long before the shot leaves the end of the barrel. Porting does nothing but make a mess in a choke tube. My 2 cents, Heres why porting is done to reduce barrel jump after the shot for a better follow up shot on 2nd target. It might help so that the shooter can see his target break better on a one shot game without lifting his head. It will not reduce recoil so that you can even tell it was done, and it will make your barrels dirty around the holes and make harder to clean. I believe it reduces barrel jump by around l/4 to l/3 percent or so depending on your loads. Its not worth having your gun done if its not done already, but if you want to do just the bottom of your O/U, its up to you. It will devalue many barrels. Nuff Said. Break-em all. Jeff

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the powder is burned long before the shot leaves the end of the barrel, please explain why there is a lot of unburned powder in the barrel when you use some slow burn rate powders. HMB

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>"I was wondering if porting effects and slows down your shot speed a little thus effecting your pattern? "</i>

Probably, but its not measurable or noticeable.

<i>"Do ported choke tubes have the same effect as porting the barrel???"</i>

No. Ported barrels have the ports on top, which has the effect of reducing muzzle rise. Ported chokes are ported all around the circumference of the choke tube, so they cannot reduce muzzle rise.

Neither is particularly effective at reducing recoil.

As Neil has calculated in the past, using well documented formulae, it "can" reduce recoil, but only by about 2% or so of the overall recoil.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The slowest burning powder for a shotgun is the 410 gauage and that does not even use a shotgun type powder. If you look at the little skeeter type subgauge tubes they run about 18 inches long or less (410 only). Most of the powder is burned by then even in the 410. The 20's and 28's are only chamber size. Powder residue is mostly what you see. So it only seems natural to assume that a 12 ga. load even with slow burning powder would be burned before 18 inches the lenth of many field grade barrels. Break-em all. Jeff

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

If the pitch of the stock is correct and the recoil drives the gun straight back there should not be any "muzzle rise" in the first place.

Am I thinking this through correctly??

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

tumbleweed- You left out some important things. First, your eye is much higher than your shoulder so the recoil force is never straight back. Also, ribs are usually taller at the back of the barrel than the front so when sighting down the rib, the barrel is at an upward angle to the rest of your body.

Pat Ireland

13. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

There is no documented scientific evidence that porting does anything for a shotgun besides blow gas sideways. Everything you can read or hear about porting is nothing more than opinion. The fad of ports is past its peak. Save your money and get your stock fitted properly.

Charlie

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Charlie, Newton's Laws, well covered in the "holes drilled" thread, explain why porting "works." You have to remember, things don't have to be documented to be true.

Neil

15. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

The reason I ask is I have 2 870 TC's made 6 months apart 1 is ported the other is not, They should be almost the same gun but I can't shoot the ported one as well as the other one so I was just wondering if the porting had an effect on the patteren or shot speed?

16. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I am well aware of the physics. That does not mean that the ports actually DO anything perceptible. Shotguns at the muzzle are not pushing anything like enough pressure like a rifle does. Anyone can play the numbers game for fun and profit. I want to see some empirical test evidence that the effect is measurable in the real world. And include that dumbass bigbore crap too while you're at it.

Actually I don't really care. I cannot feel the effect of ports and they look really stupid besides. And, yes I have a couple ported/bored guns and thankfully I did not do that to them.

Charlie

17. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Yes Neil please explain this as only you can!

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hot air blowing out of a hole pushes jet airplanes forward. Hot air blowing out of holes in the top of the barrel pushes the barrel down.

Pat Ireland

19. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

There is a lot of hot air here!!!!

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes there is. Depending on the load you are using 8,000 to 10,000 PSI. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
do ported shotgun barrels affect patterns

does porting control shot pattern