1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does mixing 8 and 7 1/2 shot increase patterns?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by birdognorth, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdognorth

birdognorth TS Member

A couple shooters have told me they mix shot to increase their pattern size at 16 yds, but they have shown no proof that it works. If the two shot sizes decelerate at different rates it makes sense that there would be some bumping and deviating flght paths but for the better? Anyone seen evidence on paper? BDN

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Just screen a bag of 7 1/2's sometime. They already contain enough 8's.

ec90t

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Since there's no difference in pattern size between 7 1/2 and 8's (see thread link above) there's no reason mixing them will conjure any magic. And, as ec90t says, there's already some mixing in most shot anyway.

Neil

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Neil, Excellent points. I genuinely enjoy and appreciate your technical explanation of patterning results. So, just wondering: if there are a number of 8 sized shot mixed in with 7.5s in a bag of 7.5s, do you think this holds true for bags of 8 shot. That is, are there 9s mixed in with a bag of 8s? I have been thinking of doing some mixing, but now it seems the best idea is just to Keep It Simple, Stupid (me) and just use quality shot as it comes bagged. Does this seem logical? Answering my own question: yes, I will never know the outcome of mixing - so it would be a waste of my time and effort. As I get older, I find I am talking to myself too much. Best Regards, Ed

5. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the answer is no.

6. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I mix the for my 7/8oz loads,and they work well,,wish I did !:eek:)~

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The shot size stamped on the bag is very close to the size of almost all the shot with some brands. With a few other brands of shot, the indicated size is correct for around 70% of the shot in the bag.

Pat Ireland

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Big Tuna - rather than fooling around with 8s and 9s just switch to 8 1/2s. (For 16 yard targets use one ounce 8 1/2s.)

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Sportshot please explain "and would increase your shot string about 12 inches".

In the majority of bags I open there are a noticeable amount of shot sizes easily ranging from 7's to 9's in many of the manufactures runs. Neil, Pat and others can substantiate this. Thus you would only be doing what has already been done for you..

10. Neil Winston

Sportshot, when Bob Brister used hard, small shot, (trap shot), he was able to see no shot string effect at all, much less a difference of a foot. I can't put my hand on my copy right now, but it's in the legend of a photograph rather then the text where you would expect it.

Neil

11. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

To Gary Waalkes, Thanks, Gary...I keep forgetting about 8.5s. Don't see them available when/where I buy shot very frequently, but will look for them to use at 16 yards. Best Regards, Ed

12. Neil Winston

Sportshot, I did not deny the shot-speed thing.

All my post pointed out was that Brister, whom you cited, did _not_ get the results you reported.

This does not mean that I think that 8's don't lose velocity faster than 7 1/2's, nor did I say anything to that effect. My calculations estimate that at 40 yards, 8's will lag 7 1/2's by a foot and a half, on the average.

That means that using Brister's method, assuming a crossing speed of 45 MPH and driving to the right, that an example 8 would punch the paper about two inches to the left of where it would have had it been a 7 1/2.

Neil

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

You can control patterns by adjusting chokes,wads, and velocity much better than shot size. Most shot are not consistent in size anyway so some will already be slightly larger or smaller.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Number 7.5 shot at 40 yards will be about 20 ft/sec faster than #8 shot if both start at the same velocity. The 1.5 foot difference in position of #7.5 and #8 shot estimated by Neil is very close.

Please do not misread Neil's last paragraph. He accurately stated that a target moving at a 45 degree angle at 45 MPH would show a two inch difference in where a 7.5 and an 8 shot would hit the target. In trapshooting, the angles are much less than 45 degrees and target speed is around 35 MPH.

Pat Ireland

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Enough of this DIVERSITY crap! Let the 7 1/2's hang with the 7 1/2's and leave the 8's alone, it will only be a matter of time before we are FORCED by the likes of Barney Fwank et al to co-mingle!!!! What next, #9's for Trap a hate crime???

16. Neil Winston

You seem to have a problem, ss, when people point out that you post stuff as fact which you have simply made up. There's a solution for that, and it lies with you, not me.

Neil

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Try it. Remington use to make a Duplex load (7 1/2 & 8's) which I liked. I was using a choke with .020" constriction and it worked real well for me up to 22 yd line. May want to check your chargebar to ensure you're dropping the desired weight making sure that you're getting desired results such as 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce. When I bought my first MEC 650 30 years ago, I discovered the 1 1/8 chargebar (non-insert type) actually threw 1 1/16 of shot; i.e., # 7 1/2 Lawrence Magnum. Of course I had loaded on it for 2 years before I had discovered that because I didn't have a scale. After that I honed it out and brought it up to 1 1/8 ounce of Magnum 7 1/2's.

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Sportshot, what is the your point of interest with Brister? Because he wrote a book and Neil hasn't makes him the absolute authority???????????

19. Neil Winston

Ss, I'm having trouble finding any mention I'm made to shotstring at all beyond citing Brister, who's quote, as I remember it, was his finding that when using 7 1/2 shot from a trapload, the pattern he got on his moving target was virtually indistinguishable from one shot at a static target.

I myself have made no statements of any kind about shotstrings (again, other than citing Brister), much less two inches. I'll say it again. I have not said anything about shotstring. In other words, you've made up the fragment you apparently quoted me as writing, "a 2" longer shot string," just as you seem to make up about everything.

Neil

20. Neil Winston

It's true enough, Ss, that last night I wrote "I don't have time to do the math now" and when I woke at 3 AM I took that down and reported the results of the math instead. But since then, I haven't changed anything, I think. I certainly didn't write anything about two-inch shotstrings.

Besides, I haven't said a thing about your calculations, one of which above is in error by a factor of 16.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.