1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does It Really Pay To Reload

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you Factor in time, it never pays to reload. I do not reload when I should be working, I do not reload instead of making a extra buck on the side ect ect. I reload when I normally would be shooting but cant, Do to rain or other factors

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

I like how you factor in the cost of your reloader. It is an expense that must also be recouped when figuring out the true cost to reload a box of shells along with your own personal time ... no matter how much or how little value you put on that time.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't worry about whether or not reloading pays. I'm still trying to figure out how to make trap shooting pay.

4. jd6729

jd6729 TS Member

I load appx. 15,000 rds./year, 28ga & .410. Figure I save about $5+ per box. That's a savings of $3000+/yr. Paid for my Spolar in year one. But I agree, it would be tough to load 12ga. and come out at todays prices for shot, etc.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Drew.....Absolutely! You can use less expensive components and still get as good, or better load than the Gun Clubs, or any other shell, you are buying. I am loading 11/8oz, 3dr. loads with Promo powder, Windjammer wads, and Fiocchi primers that shoot as well, or better than new STS's shoot. These reloads are costing me well under $3.00 per box. I buy all my components in bulk and whenever I can find a sale on items. If you insist on the most expensive components, (you will notice I didn't say "best" components) you will, indeed, not save a whole lot of money. The choice is really up to you. I cannot notice any difference between the more expensive components and the economical components in any reload. When I do my part, they both do the job just fine....Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. old school

old school TS Member

you bet when you reload 410 and 28s jim

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, I'm kind of suprised you don't find the "cheaper" components worth the difference. Personally, I've not been able to tell any difference in a properly loaded shell.

I guess if it's not worth your time at a 50 cent a box savings, nothing I can say will convince you otherwise.

So, depending on model and condition, I'll gladly pay $150 for your Spolar.

jeff

8. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

My loader was paid for the first half one the first year.

IT depends on the price of components and your willingness to find the time.

Rock

Jim

9. Trapgeezer

Trapgeezer TS Member

Dan, I am not doubting you but "well under $3.00 a box in 2007 is an incredible price. What are you paying for componants and are you buying in large quantity, reclaimed shot, make your own? I shoot factories and do not load so it is not an issue but after reading some of the costs listed, you are way low.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Cost on the West Coast excluding reloader. A reloader should be amoratized over a 10 or twenty year period.

Clays: $100 for 8lbs.
    Wads: Spolar wads = $90
    Wads: Green Duster = $60
    Primers: 5,000 = $120
    Hulls: $00
    Shot: Northwest Magnum = $30 a bag

These are pretty accurate component costs for Southern Cal. You can figure the cost for a one ounce load. 17.4 of Clays.

Fred

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Geezer:

$25/K Winchester Primers, $13/K WT-12 wads, $53/4# Clays, $1/# Steel = $0.12/shell = $3.00/box, compared with $7/bx steel ammo. Lead would be a bit more for me.

Jay Spitz

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Geezer.... I just bought these components at the PITA Grand Pacific in July: Promo $72.00/8lb. (Bought 64lbs.), Original Windjammer wads at $62.00/5M (Bought 5 cases), Fiocchi Primers at $85.00/5M (Bought 25M) and Northwest Mag 71/2 shot for $23.95/bag (Bought 2 tons). I bought everything from Connies Components. The hulls I get for free and can get about 12 loads out of them. I load 18gr. Promo and 11/8oz of shot. Reloader costs me nothing as I have had it for over 20 years and it has paid for itself many times over. Using the calculator on the home page, with these components and prices, I come up with about $2.70 per box..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

I just want to know why guys who reload carry wad knocker outers and guys who shoot factory don't?

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Does it pay to reload ? That question means different things to different people. To me, reloading to save money is just a bonus. My feelings are that I would reload even if I could buy new shells cheaper. However, you will never prove to me that new will ever be cheaper. That is unless you buy the cheapest shells on the market and compare them with reloads using the most expensive components. I for one feel that the cheaper shells do not compare to my reloads. Reloading is an integral part of the shooting experience, in my opinion. If you do not like to reload or do not have the time, I fully understand buying new shells. I enjoy loading my shells and that is why I just invested in a new loader. Why should I factor in the cost of this loader? Don't make sense cause I am not into reloading to save $$. My opinion. Ed

15. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

reloading never paid for the operators time. Quality components make quality shells and that means you have to buy good stuff. However, I can make shells of the same quality as STS. Cut open one of your cheapies and compare the quality of the components. Don't try to compare the cost of quality reloads with cheap shells. apples and oranges

16. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

im with ed,if your going to figure equipment cost,you may as well add the cost of your guns too,how can you put a price on a hobby?as far as cost of reloading,i make & sell my own shot,im fourtunate to have a real good supply of free lead,&free time so my cost for shells is $0$,also get free targets out of my shot,so if your willing to pick up a extra hobby(crafting your own shot&shells)it does pay to reload,thanks to shooters like jim stewart to give us reloaders a better shotmaker,& a choice on how mutch we want to spend(if any ) to do our hobby,and not have to complain about the cost of reloading,or shells,keep on droppin,mark

17. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

My reloading spreadsheet currently shows costs of about $.17/round for reloads. This is compared to about $.32/round for something like the STS Premier loads. Those are pretty substantial savings. Until the end of August, Dick's was selling Rem Gun Clubs for about $.16/round.

If you shoot Gun Clubs or similar, there isn't much if anything in savings. However, you can save real bucks over the more expensive stuff.

As to the reloader, there may not be a great deal of cost associated with the purchase, since they last for such a long time. If you spent $400 on a MEC 9000G, and got 100k rounds using it, the cost per shell comes out to $.004/round. Compared to the component costs that's not a lot.

Best,
    Dennis

18. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Does it really pay to tie your own fly's, mow your own lawn, wash your own car or paint a room in your house? If you figure in your time and the materials you need you my find it's cheaper for someone else to do it.
    But if you enjoy doing this and figure you'd spend the time otherwise sitting watching TV ,reading a book or taking a nap, then you can't count your time as part of the expense.
    I reload because I like it. I can't find factory shells that have 1oz of 8 1/2's @ 1180 fps with windjammer wads that cost $3.65/box. If I wasn't reloading I'd be spending my time doing something else that would not be as productive.

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Don't argue or load your own, Drew. We'll just keep being stupid I guess....Bob Dodd

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I enjoy reloading my own shotshells and my rifle ammo. I look at it as custom suited to me and my guns, especially my rifles. Do some of you guys think it's just reloading thats going to be expensive to blow out the barrel ends in the near future? If lead continues to be the costly component, cheap shells will be more expensive than reloads with quality components again. Besides that, it's extremely tough finding factory loads for both quality and dependability comparable to my homemades. Factory loads for my shotgun is one thing, my rifles, no way. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.