1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does it make sense to buy a fix choke now days?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Was looking at some Perazzi recently and notice there Fixed full chokes were 0.32. Hardly enough for 27 yard shooting even though i don't shoot there. Choke tubes today is the answer do you agree. What's your choke size for 16 yard events and handicap and what yardage?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Earl,

.032 is more than enough choke for handicap and beyond the 27 yardline ... The bore on the new Perazzi's are usually big bores and that makes a difference also ... My current Perazzi was .736/.032 and after Wilkinson did the barrel it is .742/.035 ... The last Perazzi I owned was .735/.031 and it would smoke targets well beyond the 27 yardline (games) ... I shoot Nitro 27's (7 1/2's) for the games and sometimes registered, and Estate Target loads (Heavy 7 1/2's) for everything else with no problem ... The bore matters also not just the restriction ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I shoot a fixed choke Browning Broadway with #8 shot and I use the bottom IM choke for 16 & 22 yd. I shoot the same scores if I use the full choke top barrel but there's more smoke when using the bottom barrel.

Eric

4. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I shoot only full choke. My Dad's 1950 Model 12 trap is full at .695 dia. Thats the size I want to shoot with because I can compare myself to his ability on an equal basis. So far he's way ahead of me even though he's passed away since 1978.

Harry

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A .032 choke is a .032 choke regardless of the bore. It seems like people talk about loving fixed chokes unless you try to sell a fixed choke gun, then fixed choke guns are not popular for some reason.

6. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I shoot a 745/28 and it breaks targets (turns them to dust no matter where I stand on the trap field) if I do my job.

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I use .025 in my Perazzi for 25 yards and it smokes every target
    I hit. I also prefer a fixed choke to tubes. To many times the tube
    does not line up with the bore. Remington was famous for this in
    the 11-87.

8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

My Ljutic Pro 3 LTX has Briley's and it loves .020" for singles and .035" from the 27HC. I am going to try .030 for HC and my bet would be it is plenty. Bore is .740". I always had a "fixed choke" mentality until I got this gun.

I also have an older Mono Gun two barrel set with fixed chokes. Both have .735 bore with .022" in one bbl and .049" in the other. The .022" bbl smokes a 16yd target as hard as any gun I have seen. I even broke a 24X25 from the 27yd line with it.

Marc

9. Trap4

Trap4 Member

As Frank Little said use the KISS method, in other words Full choke for everything.

Trap-4

10. sliverbulletexpress

If every target you shoot is the same distance from you one choke is all you need, otherwise you might be overchoked for some and underchoked for others, I think that's why they made different choke sizes.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I strongly prefer a fixed choke to a gun with tubes, eliminates the guessing about what choke to use ... I have sold guns with choke tubes but only because I aquired them in an estate deal or a trade ... I do not buy them for my own personal use and never have ... I have not bought a gun that I wanted because it had tubes and that queered the deal for me ... Glad there are people who like choke tubes or I would have a bunch of them sitting here ... I have never said I liked choke tubes to sell a gun, because I do not like choke tubes now and never have ...

Some people have obviously never seen the difference between a pattern on a big bore gun and a standard bore gun with the same amount of restriction ... I have seen it and there is a major difference pattern wise ... If you need proof go to the pattern board and check it out for yourself, educations are not free ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

They only true test is to try it out. That 0.032" of choke may be the optimum on that barrel. Choke for smoke doesn't imply a specific constriction measurement or stamping it is a matter of how the set up breaks targets.

I personally find choke tubes to be an overrated item that gets more attention than it pays back on the range. My one choke that does it all on the trap range has 0.033" of constriction and that is plenty to smoke even the 27 yard targets.

So I wouldn't pass up a decent buying opportunity just because the gun had a fixed 0.032" choke. Try it out and let the overall performance of the gun be the decision maker for you.

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Interesting. I noticed Neil had choke tubes installed in his TM9 and is doing well shooting it. He is shooting 0.25 for 16 yard events. I like 0.20 to 0.25 in a 750 bore for 16 yard events and 20 yard caps.

14. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Interesting how many people feel that if they are shooting a fixed choke gun and doing well with it from long yardage they are not handicapping themselves with the same choke when they shoot from the 16yd line. Makes me say HHMMMMM. Marc

15. sliverbulletexpress

What trying to inject logic into a choke discussion on ts.com? Unheard of. :)

16. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I gave up on choke tubes when I had some of them shoot at a different poi than it should of. I dont need to worry if i have the right tube in and not check to see if it has come loose. I have a handicap barrel, 16 yard barrel, and a O/U for doubles.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I agree Marc, but it also depends how fast you shoot and how consistant you point. Interesting discussion.

18. sliverbulletexpress

No doubt a crappy choke job is not good be it fixed or screw in type.

19. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I for one will not or do not count on the fringe of the pattern to break my targets. I have always said a full choke gun will make a better shooter out of you just for that stated previously. Choke for smoke!!!! Tim

20. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Given the option....I would pay extra for a fixed choke gun. (with the proper constriction)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.