1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does headspace matter on a shotgun shell?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sportshot, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

I read the article on Giacomo Perazzi in Trapshooting USA. It was interesting to see Dan Lokker's opinion that the critical element in barrel fitting is headspace and not the locking bolt or top lever.

Why is that?

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Headspace in any firearm is critical. Excessive headspace will leave part of the shell (or cartridge) unsupported, and thus liable to rupture. Bad news for the shooter, and maybe those around him/her. So I would agree-that would be my first concern in barrel fitting.

Jim R

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The headspace on a shotgun shell is based on the thickness of the rim of the shell. If the recess in the chamber is cut too deep the firing pin won't reach the primer and if cut too shallow the action won't close. HMB

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For reloaders, this will definitely shorted case or hull life, assuming none of the other undesirable problems like ruptures, case head separations, set back or blown out primers, pierced primers, or other problems don't occur first.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB is correct but I will add the thickness of the rims on shotgun shells is not the same among different shells. In break open guns, the critical measurement is the distance between the barrel and the breech when the gun is closed. The very old, crude and pretty good cigarette paper test is a quick check of this distance. If the gun will not close when a single layer of cigarette paper is placed behind the barrel and will close when the paper is removed, the head space is good.

Of course, almost nobody rolls cigarettes anymore but cigarette paper is commonly sold at many stores. I don't understand why so much cigarette paper is still used.

Pat Ireland

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Uhhh, Pat. Joints. Bulge.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Pat,

I've heard the same thing over the years. I've never measured a cigarette paper, but have been told about the thickness staying constant.

Pretty funny analogy.

ss

8. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

The article didn't get into any details beyond just Dan's brief remark. I still dont get the urgency of it? All Perazzi barrels fit flush, breech face-to-chamber. The fitting involves the tight and proper seating of the bolt in the lugs. And Dan acknowledges most shooters he talks to think this way. Where is the headspace issue?

Now, if Dan is finding barrels that have a serious gap, he's got to deal with it. That is probably what he means. The breech closure has to be perfect. But again, that doesn't seem to define headspace as the term is used in rifle and pistol shooting. It's breech gap tolerance.

Maybe there can be worn receiver face issues that he sees and he has to rebuild a receiver and he calls that the headspace problem.

There's really nothing he can do about rim thickness except confirm it is set to industry spec's and it would be once the breech gap is addressed.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Not enough headspace.. The barrel will not close when a shell is in.. Too much headspace and the firing pins will be a wee bit short for dependable ignition..

Brownell makes a handy kit for readjusting headspace.. with a ring.. then the rim is recut.. Works well..

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Garwood ("Gough Thomas") related excessive headspace to excessive recoil. I didn't (and don't) believe it.

Neil

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- Excessive head space, real excessive head space could reduce felt recoil. When the head of the shell ruptures and burning gases hit your face, you will not notice the recoil.

Pat Ireland

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Pat,

You're killing me! LMAO.

ss

13. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Pat,
    "Of course, almost nobody rolls cigarettes anymore but cigarette paper is commonly sold at many stores. I don't understand why so much cigarette paper is still used"

Funny,

Arnie

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Subject: Does headspace matter on a shotgun shell?
    Email:
    Date: Mon, Jun 21, 2010 - 06:27 AM ET
    Website Address:

<QUOTE>"
    Of course, almost nobody rolls cigarettes anymore but cigarette paper is commonly sold at many stores. I don't understand why so much cigarette paper is still used."
    <UNQUOTE>

Pat Ireland

(I hope I did that correctly for all)

Pat, obviously being used by all those Perazzi owners fitting barrels. ;-)

Jim

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Head space is pretty important in a shotgun. Years ago I was hunting with a model 10 Remington pump that was worn so the head space was not correct. Upon firing, the bolt had moved back off the back of the case, but the firing pin still had enough length to reach the primer. The case ruptured on the top and blew a hole in the top of the receiver,blew the stock out on the left side, right under my eye. Not a scratch, lucky day!

Ajax

16. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Neil,

I think Dan @ Giacomo was talking about the headspace distance between the 2 3/4" 12 gauge chamber and the breech face,

--- not the 4" headspace between your two ears, which is what you and Garwood are talkin' bout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
checking headspace on shotgun

excesive head space shotgun

headspace shotgun
headspace to rifling shotgun
how to check headspace on shotgun

shotgun headspace

shotgun shell ruptured
single shot shotgun head space