1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Cold Weather dramatically effect loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I have noticed on 2 occasions that when shooting the old pet load (17.7 gr. Promo, gray AA type wads, Win or STS 209, Gunclub hulls, 1 oz.) on a brutally cold day, maybe 5-10 degrees, that there is a noticable variation in shell performance. Specifically occasionally one is audibly weak. The wad clears the barrel but not with nearly the same force as subsequent or following rounds. Maybe the ammo. will have to stay in the clubhouse until time to shoot on those days. Anyone else have these issues, or am I just plain crazy.
    dju

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very much a real thing. Some powders are worse than others. I have read and learned alot on here from extreme cold shooters and their loads.

Matt

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

No just the shooter.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Keep your shells warm until you're ready to shoot. Then place two handwarmers in your pocket and dump those warm shells on top. Cold ammo is also hard on your fingers. One of the best tips ever from my old buddy-the late Frank Little!!

5. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Got tired of unreliable shells with promo in the winter. Switched to E3. No problems now.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The colder the worser.

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I scored at the old Carolina Clay Gun Club at the PTI airport years ago and there was a guy that had 100 bloopers.

I try to be very serious scoring for a registered match but heck I couldn't keep from laughing.

It was cold and he had his reloads in the truck all night before the match.

I believe he was using Red Dot and Green Dusters in a Remington STS shell - not sure of the primer.

FRedmon

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What kind of handwarmer are you talking about? The cheap throw aways or the the one you put coal sticks in? If you use the coal sticks you better not be standing near anyone when the shells go off.

10. davidjayuden

Thank you all. In the grand scheme of things our scores just went up.
    dju

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Auctioneer..... I have used the Jon-E type hand warmers that are lighter fluid fueled for years to help keep both my hands, and my shells, warm in my pocket. I just light them up, put them in their pouches, drop them in my pocket and forget them. The have never gotten even close to hot enough to touch off a shell. I think you may be over estimating the heat generated by these things... Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Cold weather adversely affects my desire to go out and use said loads!!!

13. clydep

clydep Member

DJU; No, you're not crazy. I encountered the same problem a month ago and thought it was caused by PROMO. I was using a load similar to your's. The main difference was I was loading 1 1/8oz and Blue Duster wads. Turns out my problem was the wad teamed up with my .750 bore KOLAR. I switched to Rem. Figure 8 or Downrange DRXL wads and the problem went away. I also use the Claybuster wad for 1oz loads without any problems. Good luck...Clydep

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Hard to say cause some people have the same problems year round. Cold weather offers a good excuse.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I shoot Promo and I do not have cold weather problems with it, you need the right Hull, Right Wad, Right Primer, Right shot weight.

None of my loads are drastically affected by temperature, no bloopers.

Shooters with guns that have .750 bores or larger, do have some problems.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Temperature does effect ammo performance but it it the temperature of the ammo itself. With that in mind, most cold weather problems can be resolve by how you store the ammo - keep it indoors in a heated place.

You probably aren't going to be out in the cold shooting one box of ammo long enough for the ammo to get cold just from that.

17. davidjayuden

I suspect that riding down to the range in the trunk and remaining there until time to shoot is giving shells enough time to "chill" out. And it is my daughter that is out there shooting on those ridiculous days, not me. I'm WAY too smart for that. I'm the dumb SOB that is standing out there scoring and pulling for them, squad after squad after squad.
    She's shooting a Ljutic Mono, and it seems like it is bored around .740, but I'll have to go have a look to be sure.
    Thanks again for all your experience.
    dju

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The LOADS I shoot with act exactly the same regardless of weather. Their wives, on the other hand, get a little snippy in the winter

-Gary

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I test my loads over a chronograph setup by putting a half box in the freezer for a few days and keeping the other half at room temp. I get very few surprises on the line in cold weather anymore. I also have tested many factory loads. They will also vary from lot to lot. Primers, powder, bore size, wads, load, hull condition, crimp depth and quality, etc will all have some effect on cold weather performance. I have several loads that I will use in the cold weather without any trouble. I also have found many that would not be a good selection.

The answer is YES, but not ALL loads. Some loads are dramatically affected. One popular bargain brand had performed so poorly, I won't even use them in the summertime. The variation in velocity at 78 degrees was pretty poor. The drop in velocity and increase in variation at +5 degrees was dismal. They were a little better at 90 degrees, but I can load a shell with better components that gives better performance. The best part is that I would have confidence in them and their performance. There was also a significant improvement in patterns with my reloads over the bargain brand. It was not enough testing with enough different guns and barrels, but it was the gun I shoot for trap. That is waht counts for me.

20. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

put your shells in the oven before you go to the club rapem up in a towl & try to keep em warm even if you have to run your car & let the heater blow on em you will see the diference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.