1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does closing my gun bother you?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bucko43, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

What do you think guys?

If you were standing to my immediate left and I closed my gun before you shot your round of trap, would it bother you?

I'm not talking about waving my gun around or picking it up to my shoulder either. I'm strictly referring to just closing my gun and holding it there until you shoot...

Bucko43

2. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

No, most shooters reload and close their gun immediately after shooting the target. Some don't, most do.

BB

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Semi or O/U?

I use blinders, so an O/U doesn't bother me much. However, the sound of auto closing is pretty pronounced. I try to close my gun AS the shooter TWO stations to my left is firing.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What I hate is when the guy downstream of me closes his gun on my call bird. Of course being a games shooter it has a slightly different meaning for me LOL.

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I try to wait until the shooter calls pull before I pick the gun up from my toe pad and close it. I had a guy come over to me in a handicap event once and asked me to not close my gun before he shoots. He said it was distracting him and making him miss...

Irritated the crap out of me 'cause that's what I've always done for three years.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It is a bit unnerving for the shooter next to me to close the action when I'm going to call for the target.

7. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I fire my gun, eject the hull, and reload as the 2nd fellow from me is firing. If your ever in a shoot off you better get used to the fellow closing the gun as you fire. Never thought much about it. BRGII

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

It bothers me for anyone to close their gun before it's their turn to shoot. Most clubs have it posted that you should not close your action until it's your turn. A lot of folks do not follow that simple rule and I sure as hell am not going to fight them for not following it. It still bothers me anyway.

9. JOND

JOND TS Member

I don't like it whenever I'm ready to call pull and someone sends a target out by the noise created when their gun is closed. JOND

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have always closed my auto right as the shooter two places before me shoots. I see that some shooters are bothered by that by reading on here so I will wait until it is my turn and then close and shoot. I don't want to bother other shooters as well as I would not want to be bothered by something. Thx for the post

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Two to the left is ok, not the guy next to you.

12. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I never close my auto until its my turn to shoot, I do load it though.
    With my break open I do the same, load it but never close until its my turn again.
    I have seen autos set off a bird my the closing action sound also.

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

No, most shooters reload and close their gun immediately after shooting the target. Some don't, most do.

This is just NOT TRUE!!!

14. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Not at all

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bucko43- When I am shooting well, your movement when I have my gun mounted would probably not bother me. When I am shooting poorly, it would bother me.

I try to have absolutely no movement for at least two shooters in front of me. Occasionally, I get in a hurry and begin mounting a little to quickly. It is my intention not to begin my mount until I hear the shot of the shooter in front of me. I do believe that a well timed doubles squad should have pieces of broken birds in the air at all times.

hoggy- I would bother you. My gun is loaded and closed for about three shooters in front of me.

Pat Ireland

16. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Yes, it does bother me. I would prefer it if the shooter waited until it was his turn to shoot and then closed the gun.
    Someone will correct me if I misspeak but I believe ATA/American Trap is the only game where closing your gun before it is your turn to shoot is permitted.

17. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

It does for me.
    I can't find it but I'm sure someone can post the rules of good shooting used by SCTP.
    One of the rules is "You don't close your gun till it's your turn to shoot"
    Now if we're trying to get kids interested in our sport and have laid down some basic rules for them to follow, why is so damn hard for some of us not to set good examples. There is NO good reason to close your loaded gun prior to your turn to shoot. NONE, Nada,
    Some of you are just to damn dumb to understand this simple rule,

18. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

As long as the gun is closed without activating the speaker, and also as long as the shooter keeps the gun low. I shot with someone once who actually raised the gun almost to the mounted position when closing it. Was very disconcerting when the gun was closed out of turn.

But, as long as it's done quietly and low, it doesn't bother me one bit.

19. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Yep it bothers the H@LL out of me, sure wish you would quit it>>>>> just kidding, though it has bothered me in the past it was not the only thing that was getting to me, It was HOT as H@LL that day and my brain was cooked and I was not shooting well, I have shot next to the same shooter and it did not bother me then although he got real upset with me for taking so long to set up and call for the target, paybacks are H@LL dont ya know.

Rick

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If I haven't called for the bird and shot yet, then yes it does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.