1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does bigger shot hold tighter pattern?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Has anyone done pattern testing w#6s #5s #4s #2s what did you find?

I believe they will hold a tighter pattern, my test w 6s Vs 8s shows that the #6s held a tighter pattern and less flyers, what do you think?

Cold winter topic.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Same size payloads of bigger shot yields less pellets in the patterns. To find out if it's a trend toward tighter patterns would require more pattern testing than I'd want to do in this weather. Why not shoot ten or more of each shot size, count the pellets, and let us know.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

The question needs to be defined better. Usually a tight pattern is defined by the number of shot in a 20 inch circle. But, because Gary found a "tighter pattern with #6 vs #8 shot, he must be using a different definition of "tight pattern".

Pat Ireland

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pat,

If we can convince Gary to go out and pattern test a few hundred shells and count pellets, maybe he'd be too busy to continue posting this stuff for awhile. :)

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Pat Ireland I patterned 8s and 7 1/2s and people did not believe my results.
    So I will quit publishing or writing about them. I sent Neil pictures of my results. Nothing further will be stated or posted on Patterns.

You have to own a CG to get the patterns I guess. HaHa

I am on the way to the bank from last nights shooting and shootoffs.

The lord of lead shot was out there directing the pellets to the target.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. dkdevries

dkdevries TS Member

Pat,

I think tightness of pattern is defined as percentage of pellets in a 20 inch circle. The higher the percentage, the tighter the pattern.

Regards,

Doug DeVries

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I guess in Gary's dillusional world everything is not only possible, but plausible!

ss

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gary's my kind of bull-crapper... Big tales and bold bluffs. And he walks away laughing as you try to pin him down. Big fan. Yes I am.

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have read that shot makers don't use as high an antimony content as shot sizes get larger because larger shot doesn't need it. But the best patterning shotshells I have shot with large pellets were buffered and nickle or copper coated. I have tested different shot sizes to see if smaller pellets would open up with the same choke for some sporting clays shots. The 9's I tested did open up a little more than the 8's I patterned. But just last evening I patterned some 8's against some 7 1/2's of the same kind of shell. No difference in the size of the pattern. I did try some of the same 1 ounce shells both out of a modified choke for some long range trap shooting. The 7 1/2's definitely broke the targets better. With long shots in sporting clays with a modified choke I will stick to the 7 1/2's. I have found that larger shot sizes pattern better with longer better choke tubes. Doesn't seem to matter as much with the smaller shot.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I don't know about pellet count in a 20" circle...but...one nite at a shoot, to settle an argument...I removed the choke out of a Mod 12 and stood on post 5 at 27 yards and crushed 5 out of 5 birds with #6s.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lets look at a couple of things that are fact: Shot drop, and shot energy.

At 1200 fps. and a distance of 60 yards.

#4-drop 8.8"...energy- 3.01 ft. lbs.

#7.5---10.9".........- .85 ft. lbs.

#8---11.3"...........- .68 ft. lbs.

#9---12.4"...........- .42 ft. lbs.

What this means is larger shot will maintain a higher POI vs. smaller shot.

If you want a tighter, or more open pattern....change your choke. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does 6 shot have a tighter pattern then 2 shot

does 8 shot or 4 shot hold a tighter pattern

does larger shot pattern tighter

pattern tighter

what shot holds a tighter pattern for shooting

what shot will open up a pattern

what size lead shot hold tighter pattern for a 12gauge