1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use Alliant ExtraLite Powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I currently use Greendot for my loads. I shoot everything, Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand and Sporting Calys. I'm finding I'm more recoil sensitive than I used to be. Do you use Extralite and what do you think of it? Thanks!

2. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

It might help us if you gave more details about your current load(s). Green Dot is usually preferred for the so called Heavy 1 1/8 oz loads. A quick check of the current Alliant manual and their online data base indicates Extra-Lite is for 7/8 and one ounce loads. If your intent is to reduce your shot charge then Extra-Lite might work for you. Alliant has other powders that might work just as well for you over a wider range of shot weights preserving your ability to go back to a Heavy 1 1/8 ounce load if you need to.

Terry M.

3. yvonne

Been there ~ Done that! I've tried every powder and every load from 1 1/8 down to 7/8. I'm shooting a SXS for sporting and 5 stand and it kicks a bit more than my CG sporting. Since I've never tried the Extralite, I was hoping to hear from those that use it and can give me an opinion on how it shoots. When I've loaded down on some powders, I find I lose some speed and my leads are a litle different.
    P.S. FR thanks for the pm :)

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Good for 7/8 and 1 oz...

5. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

I have used ExtraLite for 7/8 and 1 oz loads. I have followed load data on Alliant Website. At lower velocities it burns very clean. Charge weights are low so it makes it very reasonable to load. If you desire to use light 1 1/8 oz loads, I would look at AALite. Very clean even velocities at loads around 1100 fps.

I find these loads at around 1100 fps break targets very effectively and my experience is that they pattern very well. Perhaps a bit tighter at these lower velocities.

Good luck

Ron

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yvonne, MOST of your recoil issue is with the lighter SxS and the hunting stock, not the loads.

I love SxS, but ... unless you have a parallel stock with the right pitch, you're going to get beat-on.

Downsizing to 1oz or 7/8 will surely help, and the powder does not matter: there are lots of good 7/8 & 1oz recipes out there, including GreenDot.

Bob

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use ExtraLite in my 1oz loads and 7/8 oz loads. The 1oz extralite and 1oz Clays I can't feel and difference in recoil. Both are softer then 1 1/8 loads.
    I do like the 7/8 oz loads with extralite. Clean burn and works great in cold weather.
    John

8. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I load mostly Remington cases, Gun Club and STS, with Cheddite 209 primers. Alliant has about 15 pages of Extralite recipes which are downloadable from their website. I shoot 7/8 oz. exclusively for 16 yd. practice with either Downrange DRXXL Pink or CB 1078-12 wads. The Alliant listings from 14.8 to 16.6 grains will give excellent low recoil loads, depending on the speed that you want. I shoot 15.2 gr. with #8's through a 30 thou choke in my Kolar. They go out the door at a little over 1200 fps, seem very consistent, and inkball the targets just like those nasty old 1-1/8 oz. filling rattlers. Mike

9. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

hi yvonne i shoot 3/4 an 7/8 12 ga out of my p gun an my beretta A 400 with k off this powder is the best no recoil an clean i shoot all clays with it just ajust ur shot size smokem

10. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

Yvonne, I am on my second keg of xtra lite and I love it. I starting loading 7/8 oz for my Beretta 391 and have no problems crushing targets for trap or sporting clays. My loads are 14.5 grs in a GC or STS hull with the winchester gray 7/8 oz wads at 1150 fps. Light recoil and smokes the targets.

Thad

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Have you looked at gun fit as a potential source of your problem? Perhaps the pitch leaves a void (space) between the heel of the comb and the top of your shoulder. That could make a substantial differenc in felt recoil and face slap.

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

yvonne, Extra-Lite is a superb powder for 7/8oz loads from 1100fps thru 1300fps, as long as you use 7/8oz wads. It is very clean and you use little of it. It is too fast for faster 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads.

So if you are looking for a powder for 7/8oz loads @ 1150 to 1200 fps, Extra-Lite is the best. If you are looking for versatility, try another powder.

13. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have just tried a pound of it for 7/8 oz loads and like it. As others have said, very clean burning. Does anyone see a problem in substituting Downranges purple 7/8 wad for the gray Claybuster?

14. yvonne

Thanks a bunch everyone!

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Yvonne go back to the CG for sporting, I will bet the SxS is lighter in weight
    and does not fit you as well as the CG.

Try Promo powder, much cheaper, and 17 grs of powder.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I got some for 7/8 oz at 1200 fps and it does great there. I've also loaded a batch of 1oz at 1200 fps and they are doing just as well as my old clays load with less powder. Ulimately its using lighter weight shot charges at more modest velocities that reduces recoil. This powder (and WWAAlite) lets you do that and still maintain the pressure needed for clean burn and consistent velocity.

17. Donm

Donm Active Member

HTSmith. Could you please let us know what your recipe is for the 1oz to get 1200fps. I just bought a keg and plan on trying it soon. Have you by chance patterned it? Thanks.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

I doubt a 100 fps velocity reduction will result in a discernible difference in leads. It will provide a noticeable recoil reduction.

I use the "lite" powders for Cowboy action loads at 950-1000 fps with 7/8 oz. Dr. Longshot is correct that Promo is better suited for trap loads and is much more versatile. Is is my choice for trap (singles and Doubels) and SC loads and I have all the other powders mentioned to select from.

Don Verna

19. plaw

plaw Active Member

using for 1 oz ,does fine @ 16's also using 15.5 gr. with a 1 oz windjammer wad. but like my greendot for handicap...

20. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

You might want to check Neil Winston's research on recoil and powders etc. It appears that recoil is strictly due to velocity and weight of shot. The powders may not make a difference. I know this may be inflammatory to some, yet there needs to be an empirical basis for such decisions. There is a difference in how clean powders are and their smell ( anyone shot any Rex lately :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.