1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone throw darts???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've had a dart board for years, but it seems like whenever anyone comes over and wants to play, they kick my a$$. What are some tips or secrets to this game. It's a lot of fun, but I hate losing all of the time and it's begining to bother me.

Tron

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Dont throw, push. Happy T-day Jeff

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Tron,

I recommend a trip to and through Great Britain. Include Wales, Ireland, and Scotland. If you drop into enough pubs, you will learn to be an expert. (Guiness Drinker too...)

4. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

practice practice practice,,dont throw anymore since my tendonitis surgery ! :eek:(

5. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Start by buying darts that are very very expensive! It will make a difference...just like in trapshooting. If you throw the equivalent of a Perazzi or K80 then you are sure not to get beat by the guys throwing darts the equivalent of a model 12....Yeah Right!!!

Forrest

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Most Eng & Irish darters TOSS darts. Get a good cork board, use heavier darts 22 to 24 in wt. Lived in Derry (Londonderry N I) for 2 years while in Navy. Good game. Play a lot of 301 double in and double out. For beginners, learn to shoot double in and out on left or right side of board. It's a lot easier to control your darts left and right giving you some leeway on the up and down and still be in the doubles row. I like to start on the 8, 9, 11, 14, (left side). Hope this helps some. Also try to learn to toss the dart starting with the dart about 6 inches from your aiming eye and lining up with where you want the dart to go and learn to use a flick of the wrist to toss the dart. Using a heavier dart will alllow you to use a little bit more arch in the flight of the dart not having to toss it with as much speed and still insuring that it will stick in the board. All this and lots of practice. P. S. if you dont care for Guiness try some Watneys Red Barrel ale instead. bty over there its called "stout" and for a reason. Only way I could get it down was to make slammers with it

Good Luck

Bob W

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The secret is to hit the "Bullseye", and use heavy custom made darts with a slimline plastic tail on them (design is optional) ... You will be utterly amazed at how lucky you get the more you practice, kind of like trapshooting ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

wow deja vu, just played 3 games at my dads with brother and dad, thats all were talking about , then this thread.

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Darts? Werent they made by Dodge a few years back ... maybe you could research "Dodge Dart" on google and get allot of information about them.

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Dam computer on at home NEWB, WOW!!!!!

11. jmenke

jmenke TS Member

Good advice from Bob W. It also depends on what game your playing. To me, cricket is a much easier game. I focus most of my dart practice on the triples, if you can hit the triple 20 fairly consistently you can probably win at any of the games. As in any targeting sport, follow through and practice are important. Most importantly, relax and have fun!

John

12. nipper

nipper TS Member

there are a few dart throwers on this forum for sure

bill

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tron, I think Bob W. has got some good advice as well. Don't use a dart under 22. Then There are two types of tips you want to get, either the hammer heads or the teflon. The teflon helps the tip stay in the boar's hair board. The only type board you want to shoot on. The Hammer heads move in and out and give a double impact when the darts hit the board to help to keep them in. Remember any dart that falls out does not count when the throwing is done. Next after some practice you will want to customize your darts so to speak. You want the dart to stick into the board at a perfect right angle to the board face (90 degress) this will allow you to get your darts in a close group. To do this you will need to try different lenth shafts to find one that will bring your darts up or down as needed. Also different flight shapes (tail)will help as well. Once you get the combo that works for you, practice. Don't forget as you wear in a board and start to wear out the 20 at top you can remove the wire ring, the whole thing is one piece and rotate it two or 4 spots over to wear out a section that is still fresh. Have fun, shot darts in league for almost 7 years. It too is all about the competition. Have fun and shoot some T-80's for me. Break-em all. Jeff

14. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

BigBore ... out of town, friends computer.

15. m70win

m70win Member

These flights may suit you.

Timmmmmy

16. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Good, high quality darts....Push not throw....practice to hit doubles and triples....."Bulls" are nice, but "20's" come more frequent....Play games other than 301 or 501--Cricket will definitely force you to learn to play the board, and finally have fun playing.

When I played darts alot (for money, drinks and food in bars), I would practice at home about an hour a day......I would have someone randomly call out what they wanted me to hit on the board with each dart and that's what I would go for.

I personally think getting a great set of darts (and a matching back up set) was a major factor in improving my game......every dart had the same weight, dimensions, etc., so every toss felt the same. If I missed, it was all due to my error.

JMHO

Jim C

17. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Pointy end toward target....

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I used to be in a league where you had to throw the darts underhanded, you want to talk about challenging that was it ... I still have the darts I used and they are marked on the shaft Slimline 5.4-24, not sure what all of that means and CRS about all of that stuff anymore ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. MJC64HAWK

MJC64HAWK TS Member

Good hand /eye coordination is absolutely necessary.
    When I competed in a league and had trouble I would tape a newspaper over the area that was troublesome and shoot at it "blind". Practice-practice.
    Widdy dart boards!!

20. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Not true Old Smoker. This is one game where just a little alcohol makes a big difference in a bad way. BTW, my darts are Hammer heads, I believe that they are 24g, but I'm not sure. Maybe some longer shafts and different flights maybe something to look into.

Thanks for all the great advise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.