1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone reload Feferal Top Gun hulls?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shootist, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootist

Shootist TS Member

Does anyone reload Federal Top Gun hulls?

Does anyone reload Federal Top Gun hulls? If so, what components do you use for both singles and handicap?
    Thanks,
    Ben Loveless

2. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

Yes-I reload them-as well as Estate hulls. the estates come out looking like a new shell. The Top Guns look almost as good' I do throw them away after the first reload because of the seperate base wad. I use 18 gr of 700x-1 1/8 oz shot and Fed primers. Shoot them for everying. Seems to work for me ok. Mec reloader. Jack M

3. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

I did, but I worried too much about the paperbase flying out and getting stuck in the barrel. Then the next shot might be ugly.
    I reloaded them for a little just one time then gave them up. I found that they do not maitain the pressures that the AA and STS hold for the particular load I use. They would not cycle in one of my guns because they were lighter in pressure then the "better" hulls.
    I know some people that use them quite often.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

One ounce load is 18.5 grains Red Dot, Federal 12S0 or Claybuster 2100-12 wad, Federal 209A primer. Gives about 1200 fps and cycles most autos quite well. This is a great singles load.

1 1/8 ounce load is 18 to 18.5 grains of Red Dot, Federal 12S3 or Claybuster 2118-12 wad, Federal 209A primer. Goes about 1190 - 1220 fps and cycles most autos. This is a good handicap load with 7 1/2 shot.

Both loads are pretty soft shooting. Just check the data against established/published data to be on the safe side. I believe you could substitute the RIO 209 G-600 primer for the Federal with little change in the load. The RIO primer is larger and once you use them in a hull, you cannot use a standard primer in it again. No problem if you toss them.

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I load them for one time poppers especially in singles. I have loaded many thousands of them. They are a srtaight walled hull, so using a straight wall wad such as the 12SO or 12S1 is important. also I get better results using the faster burning powders.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Over the past 3 years I have loaded reloaded the Federal Top Guns and the Estates without any problems. I load the hulls once and pitch them, however, I know others that have reloaded them 3 & 4 times with success.

I use Federal wads (or equivalent), Federal 209A primer and IMR 700X powder.

1 oz. (1200 fps), 17 grs. of 700X, 209A primer and a 12S0 wad

1-1/8 oz. (1250 fps), 19.5 grs. of 700X, 209A primer and a 12S3 wad.

I use the 1 oz. for singles and doubles and the 1-1/8 oz. for handicap (26 yards).

Curt - Delaware

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Yes, I load twice and pitch. Claybuster 3118-12AR [red fig 8] 1-1/8, 7-1/2 18 grains of Promo with a Fio primer........Just crushes 16yd targets. I do use a different handicap load.

GS

8. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

I have loaded upwards of 200,000 of these with no problems what so ever. Best used with a Fio / Nobel Sport / Rio primer, 30 MEC bushing 700X, Downrange Versalite wad, 1 1/8 oz of shot. That is one great handicap load.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Since my home club has one of the largest Scholastic Clay Target Programs in the country, and the kids cannot use reloads, I get a BUNCH of Top Gun/ Field and Range hulls.

I like 18 gr Rex 1, 18 gr Promo or 18 gr Solo 1000, the CB 3118-12AR wad, Rio primer, and one ounce of 7 1/2's for any yardage. I load them once and toss them. They are generally good for more loads, but I get so many from my club I do not have room to segregate hulls after I shoot them. I also get a trainload of Diana/Kemen hulls, and load them too.

10. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

Nothing wrong with these Top Gun hulls.

The above comment of base wad coming out, I would be more concerned about the new style AA's.

I generally only load them once, but as a test have loaded 6 times. At 6 times the base wad becomes soft, but did not move or shift.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've only seen basewad issues with these hulls when the hulls got wet. The basewads were visibly swelled. I don't load them more than a couple of times, so it's rare for me to see a basewad deteriorate.

12. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Base wad concerns with Top Gun and Estate hulls are unfounded. I've loaded these hulls since they've been available with 1 3/8 buffered 5's and 4's and 35 gr. of Blue Dot, now 28gr. of LongShot. I've loaded them so many times that they shot into or the basewad came out. The basewad is a wound string of paper (not solid) and when it comes out it does so in little pieces and looks like sparklers at night. I always look, but have never found any debris in the barrel. Solid basewad shells, however, do concern me.

Buz

13. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

MIA, In regards to your steel base question. I use a Mec super-sizer and it is much easier to resize the steel base than the brass base shell. Sorry I can't help you on PB........................Roger

14. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have no sizing issue, I load these on a 366, and I do not size them. Every once in a while I get one that fits too tight. I have a Mec super sizer and do them no problem. Also one note. My Mec HATES these top guns, I consider myself a Mec expert, but am unable to get the end result I want, your milage may vary.

GS

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

MIA

I load these shells on a 9000G and a Grabber. They resize just fine. I ALWAYS resize my hulls and have no problems with fit.

PB powder might not be the best choice for lighter loads. It is relatively slow burning compared with Clays, Red Dot, and other powders more suitable for 1 oz or less in 12 gauge hulls. Not saying it won't work, but that it would not be the best choice for consistency and cost. I use Red Dot and Promo in these hulls quite a bit and have found them to be decent powders for the application. I used Red Dot all winter long with The Federal 209A primers with no trouble at all. I'm sure other powders would work well also. I just prefered Red Dot since there was data for it and my loads are not even close to developing high pressures. Just enough to be consistent.

See my previous posts for the data. It was checked against the 4th edition of Lyman's handbook. The chronograph results were done by myself and not taken from the data tables. My loads were below the highest listed in the manual for those components. The 1oz loads are what the GF shoots and they are very comfortable. They absolutely smoke the targets and function well in her 1100.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

PB might fill the case too much. If so use the next larger size federal wad.

I have a friend doing this for at least ten years. He uses a 12S4 for 1 & 1/8 oz loads.

HM

17. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Quack shots recipies are almost identical to what I loaded for years, especially in 1 oz.

Worked great for me in Gold Medals as well.

Regards Gerald

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Will windjammers work with that hull?

19. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Anyone have any experience with using Clays with Top Guns or Estates with a 1 oz. load?

20. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I use 19.3 Gr. of Green Dot & 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2's w/ Downrange's new copy of the 12s3..Turns targets to black talc & soft on the shooter as well. Great Handicap load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does anyone reload federal top gun