1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOES ANYONE RELOAD ESTATE & WALMART WINCHESTERS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i obtained a large amount of estate hulls, as well as the walmart 4 pack winchester hulls. does anyone reload either shell? if so, what wad would i use for each hull? i have on hand the federal 12s3 wad and federal primers? is it ok to use the 12s3 wad and the fed primer? how many times can these hulls be reloaded safely?
    steve balistreri

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

load the estates just like top guns or federal gold medals. You should be able to get 2-4 loads out of them.

I've never seen ANY published data on the winchester cheapies, but being a straight wall construction, i would GUESS they would load similarly to the estates and top guns...

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Give the Winchesters back. I couldn't load them.

The Estates are Federals. Only difference is the color.

HM

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Steve,

I don't bother with the Winchester hull, but they work OK if you select a light (low pressure) load for the AA and go for it. They are similar hulls and you will get a little less velocity. The Federal Hulls I do load. I use the Federal 209A or Rio primer, 12S3 wad, 1 1/8 oz of shot and 18.7 grains of Red Dot or Promo. That gives me just about 1200 fps. You can drop the charge a half grain to 18.2 and get about 1160. The federal hulls do have some issues, but I don't load them more than a couple of times at most. The primer pockets seem to enlarge, even after the first loading. I use the federal primer the first loading and hen the Rio for the second. The Rio is oversized and will be a tight fit the second time around. I toss them after the second loading, if the get that far.

The loads I had used for the Winchesters were 1oz loads with 18 grains of Red Dot or Promo, CB1100-12, TGT12, or WAA12SL wad, winchester primer. They all ran close to 1200fps. 19 to 19.5 grains of Green Dot worked also. For 1 1/8 oz in the Winchester hulls I have used 19.0 grains of Green Dot for a little under 1200 fps with the Win WAA12 wad, Winchester primer, and using the Fig 8 wads, they went a little slower, right near 1145.

These were the loads that seemed to work well in all conditions. I had tried many more, but these are the ones I would be inclined to start with. As always, double check the data or call the powder company for a reality check before loading any.

5. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I like the estates better. Federals a bear to deprime, Winchesters too much problems with the crimp opening back up.Once I run through 500 estate hulls, going back to REM STS or any Rems.I found to much adjustment from Rem to others and back. If you have a extra loader I would say go for it. All Rem Gc green and Black hulls (some are 6 Point), reload all the same, no adjustment. I just tried the estates cause getting Rem hulls are not to plenty, because most guys reload.

6. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I think that the comments made so far are very good. I found that to get good results with the Top Gun / Estates you should resize them first. I reload the Win. just like AA's. I load 26gms of shoot and 17.5 red dot as a great singles and doubles load. Load once and let them fly with no regret. Bruce

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

thanks for the info!
    steve

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What about the Wally Remingtons? I've reloaded most all the REM. low brass and they all load great with no interchangeabity of component problems. But, I've never tried the Wally's. Anyone else?

9. GFB

GFB TS Member

I reload Estate hulls but I am having miss fires. (One per 300 shells)

The firing pin hits the Federal primer on the edge. If you rotate the shell 180 degrees it always fires.

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm not a gun smith but how can a gun hit a primer on the edge and how does turning it 180 degrees help. I'm not being critical but just asking a question.

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I reload them all 1 time and let them fly. I have a endless supply. I have found no problems.

12. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Wally rem reload good several times so far.
    Railroad

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Wally Remington Sports load fine. Use STS data. The original Question asked about the Federals and Winchesters.

14. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

I reload both Estate and Top Gun hulls. Both get Rio primers and 17.2 grains of 700X. Top Gun hulls get an S3 wad. Estate hulls get a AA wad for a softer shooting shell or else any other wad made for a straight-walled hull. The wad that goes into an Estate must meet two requirements. It must seperate the shot from the powder and it must be tall enough to keep the crimps from getting too concave resulting in pellets dibbling out the end. Sounds simple doesn't it?? That's because it is. I reload either of them just ONCE. Add a little reclaimed shot and you will have a very cheap reload that will tackle anything except the handicraps.

All of this might sound a little off the wall, but don't knock it until you've tried it. Plus, they are the best to travel with. Keeps you from having to haul them all home at the end of the day.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reload winchester aa shell or winchester trap load