1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone recycle primers?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff P, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Not in the humorous "I've got 1,000 slightly used primers I'll sell", but rather in the scrap metal sense?

I've been dumping spent primers in a bucket, and it's getting full. It's pretty heavy...I was just wondering what I might get for it at a scrap dealer.

Anyone ever tried?

jeff

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I use them to fill old shot bags, then staple the bags closed and use them for rifle rests.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

good idea Timb99

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

We have used the same shot bag idea but use them on the mike stands when the wind is blowing hard. The bags stay right on the stands when shooters move them. Saves on damaged microphones.

Big Jack

5. trident

trident Member

I thought you were at a trapshoot? AB

6. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Shot bags filled with spent primers make good weights to hold speakers down in the wind..............Roger

7. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Believe it or not, Corbin,the bullet die company has a set-up to use spent primers to make .25ACP bullets (jackets).....Grubby....

8. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Once sold 165 pounds of them. Will again. Fall down PVC pipe into used powder containers from MEC loader. Change when start to crush shell heads. D Winter

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When I run out of 1 oz wads I put one in the shot cup of a 1 1/8 oz wad, add the 1 oz of shot and it makes a perfect crimp. And if you paint them orange the scorer thinks it's a chip off the back of the target. HMB

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I had a friend ask me if I recycled the brass from AA and STS/Nitro hulls that I was throwing away. It got me to thinking...it is brass, is it not?

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Rick,

Noted.

But I shoot cheap milsurp rifles with cheap aftermarket synthetic stocks.

Tim

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I think I still have every primer since I began loading in 1965. I even have saved old rifle and pistol primers. I keep them in old powder canisters. I was going to dump them in the back of my pickup all together and post a picture. A lot of money shot out the end of a barrel over the years.

13. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

We used to stuff shot bags with saw dust. You gotta really pack it in though since it compresses. Much lighter and easier to carry to your varmint sniping perch than if they are filled with sand. And they smell kinda nice while you are shooting. .....Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.