1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know if this is true with targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

A man at the club said if you super glue a penny to the top of a clay target offset from center it will fly crazy because of the extra weight on one side, has anyone ever proved this?

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Thanks Dave S! You just made coffee shoot out my nose! Jeff

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Apply for an Obama-Bucks grant to study this!

The country needs more meaningful research!

MK

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Knock the center out, it is cheaper.

I do know that mud stuck on a golf ball will make it fly poorly.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I wouldn't swear to anything but I don't think that would be enough weight to make that much difference, try a silver dollar ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

RLC323

R u coming out of hibernation any time soon??

sissy

7. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Sissy

Got the room addition completely finished for the Queen. I should be back soon unless she has another big project I do not yet know of.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Stick mud on it. That is 1 cent cheaper. I don't know if you can get any "cheaper than dirt".

9. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Ertz -- it isn't the weight of the "spit" that gives it the strange movement.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ertz, wrong about the spitball.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

A penny weighs approximately 2.5 grams.

A standard target weighs approximately 100 grams.

Will 2.5 grams, located off-center from the target, affect its flight?

Part of the answer depends on how far away from the center of mass the penny is located.

The further the penny is placed from the center of mass of the target, the more the flight will be affected. The maximum effect would be obtained, of course, if you were to be able to glue the penny to the outer edge of the target. But then you probably can't throw it without knocking the penny off.

And then, how much can 2.5 grams affect a target that weighs 40 times as much?

Of course it WILL affect its flight. But how much???

Any mythbusters out there willing to give it a try?

My bet is, not enough that you'd be able to tell.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Un-even air resistance is what affects a "Spitter". That's also what makes a "knuckle ball" move the way it does.

Making this shooting related. That is what gives you "Flyers" from your pattern. Flat spots in the circumference of the circle, that create air resistance differences, in turn creating more drag, and less drag as the pellets "knuckle" through the air. Remember there is no spin on the pellets.

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The question was once asked, "Do trap shooter over-analyze things?"

Oh, heck no!!

MK

14. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

When I was a trap kid we knocked the center out of the targets and those flew pretty bad. Usually it was just for fun with no harm intended but we also done it for the a-holes that treated everybody so bad all the time.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Deercreek, did you also put Vaseline on the rubber insert on those old Win. handsets? Knuckleball supreme and hard to break! :) We also had several aluminum machined targets that sailed exactly like pitch targets and painted accordingly that we'd slip in once in a while too! They weighed the same as clay targets. Some of the gherks claimed we'd throw those during a registered shoots too but didn't. :)

Hap

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Probably but here is something even funner,

Fill the dome of a target with white or pink chalk and cover it with masking tape. Randomly place a few of these in the carousel. Really cool when they get hit and you can offer a free beverage to the lucky guy that gets one of these special targets. Just for fun though - don't do this kind of thing on registered shoots.

17. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Growing up in western NY near Buffalo...winter trap shooting was, at best, a good way for a trap boy (me) to freeze to death in a trap house. They did provide a heater that would keep about 5 square inches of your butt warm when it was 10 degrees outside! I digress...we used to put the water from melted snow, which accumulated around your feet, in the upside down targets. Then we would set them so they were tilted to one side so the water froze lopsided. I can still remember my father wanting to beat me senseless for loading those goofy targets. Not only did they fly really weird, they were hard to break!

Bob

18. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

StlFlyn, you have put it exactly correctly! Individual shot within a shot cloud are exactly knuckleballs. That may be the best way to understand how, even if you intercept the entire left half of the shot string at 20 or so yards with a wooden wall, the pattern will still be pretty even when the remaining half of the string hits a target thirty or so yards past the barrier. (See AC Jones' book for this one.)

That's just a fascinating way to look at the behavior of individual shot within the string, progressing downrange.

Doc

19. Suncutter

Suncutter TS Member

LOL Bob I also grew up just south of Buffalo and did the same thing with targets but think the heaters only kept 2 square in of your butt warm.

20. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Don't let the name fool ya, I don't know anyone that has actually became a targetmaster!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content