1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know how to stop a dog from digging

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by high 2, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. high 2

high 2 Member

I`ve got a 7yo German short hair that could keep up with a 580 Case backhoe. I`m letting him and an older female run loose in about a 1/2 acre yard. They stay in better shape letting them in the yard, but he digs more than 5 badgers put together. Does anyone have any sugestions on what to do to stop the digging? Any help would be truly appreciated. I can`t catch him digging to bust him for it and I know it`s not the female. I never have to trim his nails. I thought of hobbles, but I don`t know of anyone using them on a dog. Larry

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Have you talked to him about the problem? HMB

3. parrothead

parrothead Member

Sprinkle some red pepper where the dog is digging. A few sneezes later, no more digging. It worked for me, good luck.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

He might actually be on the hunt for some rodent or insect that he is detecting - if thats the case I don't know how you stop him other than catch him in the act and give him some eddison medicine.

Both my GSPs love to dig also but they mainly dig up nice cool places to escape the heat. So being the SAP I am, I have a couple of places on the north side of the buildings where I hauled in a bunch of sand that I make sure the sprinklers keep wetted down. The dogs love to get in their trenches and dig for about 15 minutes then they lay down and enjoy the day waiting in their little hiding spot for some hapless creature to come into their yard. Its a tough job but somebody has to do it!

One thing to keep in mind, the GSP is a high power animal that needs tons of workout time. The digging is a natural way for them to stay toned up - it is also one of the qualities they have been selectively bred for.

5. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

Cut off his feet, duh.

Seriously, the red pepper flakes work pretty good.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Move him to concrete. He will figure it out pretty quick.

7. high 2

high 2 Member

hmb, I've talked to him on several occasions. I guess my German is lacking. I'll try the red pepper if I can find it in a 50# sack. Larry

8. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I have used the pepper on my dog but I used Tabasco, bought a pint of el cheapo, put it in a spray bottle and every time he started digging I sprayed the spot. Took a little while to train the idiot but finally it worked. Don't forget to shake before you spray or it will clog up the nozzle.

CM

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You aren't alone brother, you aren't alone LOL.

10. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

My neighbor had the same problem. He put the dogs solid waste in the hole and burried it. Each time he dug he did this. I don't know why, but it worked after a couple of times. Tim

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

yell NEIN! Das eischt Verbotten youst Dumkopf..if that don't work then I don't know what to tell ya ; }

12. Gertius Maximus

Gertius Maximus TS Member

I hate to state the obvious, but lead to the head will stop your problem immediately!

13. knobcreek

knobcreek Member

We had two really energetic labs in the 90's in a suburb type yard in Michigan. They really liked to release energy by digging. I thought it was funny. My husband would be filling up one hole while they were digging another. I was their cheerleader laughing on the deck. We did finally get a handle on the problem. Puppy trainer (also hunt trial trainer) suggested burying dog bones in a spot in the yard that would be okay for digging and letting them dig. It worked really well.

We have since relocated to 99 acres in Missouri and have three energetic labs, including one of the two old guys from Michigan who is now 14. Down here they can dig wherever they want.

14. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Hide his shovel? :) sorry

15. maka

maka Member

If you cut 2 3/4" of his tail about 2" behind the ears should solve problem. Just joking, try the red pepper. Work for us. Good Luck.

16. 1oz

1oz Member

Sometimes its from boredom

17. knobcreek

knobcreek Member

Who cares? It's just dirt. The dogs are precious.

18. George Steffes

George Steffes TS Member

go around the yardpick up their stool and put it in the holes and they won't dig there any more.

19. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

I buried her waste in a hole, she didn't care. I had a dog who licked her feet constantly, someone said put tobasco on her feet. She did not care. Maybe my dogs heads are harder than yours. I ended up putting a sack of posthole concrete mix in every hole she dug. Should have just poured a patio!

20. high 2

high 2 Member

I bought red pepper last night and I'll give it a try. Last year the male dug up 6-7 gophers and I think that's what got him started. He's killed 5 armadillo's 4 skunks and a possum this year. I know that he's a hunter and needing to burn off the energy and as mentioned, bored. The flies are bad too. If I could get him to dig in a straight line I could lease him to Sand Ridge for pipeline work around here. Thanks for the suggestions. Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to hobble a dog to prevent digging