1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone KNOW Canadian Rules for Transort of ..

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 100straight, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 100straight

100straight Member

I am moving to Alaska in a few weeks from the midwest. I e-mailed the RCMP about ten days ago, and they referred my e-mail to the Canada Border Services Agency, but so far I have not received a response. I need to know the regs on transporting reloading supplies (ie. Powder & primers), and loaded ammo, through Canada. Anyone KNOW or can point me to someone who does? Thanks.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

2. ric m

ric m TS Member

Mark. I believe the place that you will need to contact is the department of transport. They handle the transport of dangerous goods through Canada.
    I believe they are only concerned with Firearms not powder and primers.
    But just to be sure contact them.
    you can google "Transport Canada" that should get you in contact with the right people. Regards. Rick

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Contact Joe Potosky at his web site link above. If he doesn't know, he can point you in the right direction. Bill Malcolm

4. twopipe

twopipe Member

looky here

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-6-1-eng.pdf

5. twopipe

twopipe Member

Ammunition
    You may import authorized sporting and competitive ammunition and reloading components for your personal use.

Quantities that may be imported for personal use and not for sale without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:

•small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
    •primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
    •empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
    •propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4 kilograms and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).
    Consult with the Explosives Regulatory Division at NRCan to determine if the ammunition you wish to import is authorized and approved for importation and use in Canada. Note that tracer, armour-piercing and similar military cartridges are prohibited under Canadian law.

Within these limits, non-residents can import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.

You can make arrangements to import larger quantities through a Canadian shooting association, committee or federation for team practice and competition at meets. For information on permits to import quantities of ammunition in excess of those mentioned above or for the purposes of sale, contact:

Explosives Regulatory Division
    Natural Resources Canada
    1431 Merivale Road
    Ottawa ON K2E 1B9

Telephone: 613-948-5200
    Fax: 613-948-5195
    Email: canmet-erd@nrcan.gc.ca
    Web site: www.nrcan.gc.ca

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.