1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know about the Rem. 760 Pump 3006

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rjdden, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I have scratched the 7400 Auto I had asked about in a preveous thread, so I would like to know some info on the Remington 760 Pump in 30-06. Have been eyeing a nice used one and would appereciate info on it. Like I received on the 7400 here awhile back. If this one don't pan out for me I'm thinking highly on another 870 as back up to the one I already have or going onto an 1100. I have a gut feeling where we will end up as recomendations but I hope it all leads twords at least some info on the 760. The 1100 I know very well what it's like and the 870 as you should know I shoot one now and do pretty well with it for just getting back after a 22 year hiates because of the onset of a certain diseas. I also shot an 870 prior to the onset of the disease. Any and all good info on the 760 will be thought over carefully. Thanks for all input Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

2. Gasman

Gasman TS Member

I have had (2) 7400's and couldn't get either one to group; they shot patterns!! I have had a 7600 for a few years (.30-06 carbine) and it shoots very well; trigger is still rough for a rifle though. The best reloads are those that also shoot well in Garands, try 165 grain bullets with moderate listed amounts of IMR 4064 and you'll have a shooter.

3. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Rich,

I have a Rem 760 ADL in 30.06 and like it. Kicks a little, but does group well. Over the years I have sighted the rifle for 150, 180 and 220 grain bullets. If I hold steady and squeeze, it will group nicely.

Chris

4. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Definately the Rem. auto is fussy on ammunition. The older guns with hand loaded ammo shoot good. I found Rem ammo worked the best. I feel discussing the ability of a gun and not mentioning the kind of ammo is counter productive..
    The Rem. 760 can be a shooter. I still like the 742. These guns suffer from not being cleaned often. Most guns need a good chamber polishing. I use a birchwood Casey moly lube to lube.

Joe Woods/Ontario

5. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Thanks for the info and input! Lets hang in and see what others just might have to say as well. I mainly would be using it for targets. I know that bolt actions are the best for this, but I'm a lefty and am not going to pay out the extra for a left handed. Righties to lefties are in the vacinity of $100.00 to even $200.00 more to purchase new. Used ones are about the same as well. This is why in the past I had purchased two 742's at different times. They do shoot well and group pretty good depending on the powder and bullet type. Keep it comming and!!! Thanks Again!!! Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I gave my son-in-law my old Model 760 in 30-06 and he shot a big Elk on Saturday on his first big game hunt, boy was he happy. That rifle doesn't group as well as my Ruger M77 but it works fine for hunting. We are trying to get a new stock and forend for it. Does anyone know if the Remington synthetic stock and forend for the 7600 will fit on a 760??

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I performed warranty service and repair for Remington, the 760 series did not give much trouble. The main thing about them was that, like the 742, they often had generous chambers that would give problems if not kept CLEAN.

Upon getting a used one, the best way to initially clean it is to remove the barrel and polish the chamber from the breech end. This is very easy, only requiring the removal of the barrel retaining nut. Make sure to properly re tighten it.

Do not expect it to shine on the range. It is a hunting rifle.

It will not perform reliably with heavy reloads or Light Magnum ammo. Reloads designed for the Garand loaded with small base dies will perform well. The 270 is still loaded to very high pressures and may not be the best caliber for these rifles. Most 30/06 factory fodder is watered down because there are 100+ year old rifles in the field.

As has been said here, you will do better to save the money and get a suitable bolt action rifle. The bolt gun is MUCH more reloader friendly and generally more accurate.

The 740, 742, and 760 series were not the best rifles Remington has built. The new ones are not much better. If you prefer an autoloading centerfire, the Browning auto is monumentally better, if more expensive.

8. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I was told yes, but not exactly sure what other people have said. I'm sure there are others who could answer this question for (miketmx) more completely than I can.

Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

9. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Congrats to the Son-in-Law on his Elk!!! Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

10. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Do yourself a favor. Get a Browning BAR in 300WSM Sub-MOA with Nikon 4X with Talley QD rings. That was with factory ammo. I gave up on the rems a long time ago. If you are serious the money shouldn't matter. Rick Gibbs

11. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

12. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Since I broke my teeth on a 12ga. 870, getting the same gun in 30.06 was a no brainer. I have found the gun very dependable and just like the 12ga. killed the deer when I did my part.

JON

13. kenf

kenf Active Member

What are you looking to pay for one Rick. I have a nice one for sale. Bluing is nice and it has the walnut stock with fancy checkering, not the basket weave.

Ken

14. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

"Does anyone know if the Remington synthetic stock and forend for the 7600 will fit on a 760?? miketmx"

Mike if you are interested in a Synthetic stock and forend for a 760, a shop here in town is going out of business and has a new one on the wall with 20% off yesterday afternoon. Don't know what they are asking but you could call and see. Their number is 509-452-1181, keep in mind the store is a madhouse at times right now.

Good Luck,

Kerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.