1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone get notified when their power goes off

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does anyone have a system that if you are away from home and your power goes off you are notified automatically?

For example so you could come back and start a generator or take some other action?

regards from Iowa

Gene

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have always worried about it when we leave for long periods

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Same company.

Power outage...

http://www.diycontrols.com/c-190-power-outage-alarms.aspx

This will monitor the temperature in the home and notify you...

http://www.diycontrols.com/c-187-temperature-freeze-alarms.aspx?gclid=CJGPp-ycrqACFc9S6wodQxxDaA&

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ya, mine notifies me about 30 seconds prior to when the lights flicker. Lol.

If I'm gone for more than a day, my neighbor keeps an eye on things. If my power goes out, so does his. I have a small generator that is enough to run a couple of lights and the well so the livestock can be watered.

ss

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Any normal home security system that reports to a monitoring service will do that.

Power failure will be reported to you on your cellphone by the monitoring service. I have one client with a low temp alarm so if his furnace goes off he can get to his year round cottage before the pipes freeze.

HM

6. andybull

andybull Active Member

At my Carolina home I have a 45 KW Onan generator with a auto transfer switch. Last winter my neighbor called to tell me that the generator had been running nonstop for three days, it turns out during a storm a tree branch had fallen on the power line causing the power outage in my home.

This home is 850 miles from my permanent residence, this way if the power goes out it goes out.

Andy

7. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Yes, I have a small device at home that calls my cell phone if the temp falls below 55 or the elec goes off. I am not home right now and don't remember the name but it was quite reasonable. I found it on the webb.

jim brown

8. raceman90

raceman90 TS Member

I actually sell these
    It is a simple device that plugs into a outlet and a phone line, will notify you of power outage or temp drop. They will call 3 preprogrammed phone numbers.
    If interested i can check price for you, they are not super expensive.

9. jim brown

Race, sounds like the one I have. I can call home and it reports the temp too. Works great for me.

jim brown

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

raceman- how much do they run

Gene

11. raceman90

raceman90 TS Member

I will check today and let you know

12. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Raceman - I'm also very interested in one of these.

Tom Strunk

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Yup, when it's scheduled...like this past Wed. for 90 minutes...

14. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I never get notified when my power goes off I only know it if im at home at the time so I have to call them and say Hey my power is off.

Ok they will say so is everyone's in the neighborhood!

End of discusion they will fix it when they can.

So for me it wouldn't do me much good to get notified if my power goes of if im not at home because the neighbor's had already called in so no use in me wasting my cell phone minutes to call them witht he same ole answer!!
    Foggy

15. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I can tell right away when NCIS stops coming across the TV.

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I put an electric clock in conjunction with my gas furnace electrical source. I can look at the clock to tell how long it has been off. I too have a small generator to run the frig. and central heat fan. Being notified when it goes off and I am not home would be good. Ray

17. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

I actually sell these It is a simple device that plugs into a outlet and a phone line, will notify you of power outage or temp drop. They will call 3 preprogrammed phone numbers. If interested i can check price for you, they are not super expensive.(quote)

Not to be a pain but a couple questions since I have been in the phone industry all my life.

If the power is out and its plugged in to a outlet where does it get its power?

Many people now are IP based with their phones as with ALL Time Warner customers for instance. When the power goes out they have no phone. How does it dial out. In the event of a widespread power outage I'd estimate less than half of the cellular companies have on site generators to run 1/3rd their cell sites. You can't depend on them either.

18. jim brown

Chris,

It has an internal rechargable battery and it is hard wired into the phone line with a standard modular wall jack. Mine works fine.

jim brown

19. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

This pic was sent to me by a friend who wanted to show me what some idiot did who was constantly bothered by his power going out. Problem "solved" by just taking those pesky breakers right out of the box!

[​IMG]

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I liked M R Ducks post!

Because I had a networking and computer systems business, I sell/sold many, many APC UPS systems.

I have a small one connected to my fax machine, a rack mount system that run my shipping computer system, another large one for this computer I am using, and one to run the power to my phones... and extra rechargables.

I really wanted to post a smart-alek remark that when the power goes out, how you gonna get notified, carrier pigeon, but I refrained.

Now, when my power goes out, my systems run for a while, and the phones work for a long time. Also have a Honda generator that rarely is used and only for extended periods of outages. I have an outside outlet wired such that I can shut-off the incoming power to the house and/or the shop, have the generator keep the fridge & freezer going, and run my hot water pumps, as I have natural gas fired stove, dryer, and boiler system. We can run the washer on elect through the generator.

Both the house and shop are 200A service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pge notifies me by cellphone of power outages