1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOES ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fssberson, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Share your memories... does anyone remeber I.W. Harper bourbon? Or a case of shells was really a case, not a flat. Or paper wads? Fred

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Ted Williams brand guns from Sears. Fred

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

A case of shells was 20 boxes. They probably had too many lawsuits from old men trying to carry them so they went to 10 which is a flat. Bulge.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Roll crimps--Alcan flightemax wads--Rem H wads--original Hi-Score (before 700X) buying reloading components from Sears & Roebuck catalog all pre measured amounts enough for 2 boxes of shells "WOW"--Herters "the absolute best" (wish they were still in business) just memories now. Ross Puls

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

It's all in the pricing. A case of 20 boxes could be bought for about the price of todays flat. Even with the terrible gas milage of the older cars gas at thirty-nine cents a gallon made it cheap to drive to a shoot. Entries were far less then todays figures and many of the prizes were cherished by the winners instead of being critized as cheap. You don't have to be too old to remember. But with age, memories fade.

Big Jack

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Peters paper hull shells. Saved my allowance to buy a box from the dusty old hardware. Bill

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

fssberson,

I have one of the Ted Williams guns, a Winchester model 77 .22 semi auto. I recall it was my 10th Birthday, making the gun...wow, almost 55 years young.

Big Jack, my 69 RR drank like a fish with 391 gears and a Hurst shifter on a HD 4 speed, but premium was only .28 a gallon in 1969 most of the time, and my Dad's corporate account got a .02 per gallon discount at a station across the street from the plant. When my Dad was buying, I would slide down to Chevron and put a tank of what was called on the street as "white" pump, which was 104 octane as I recall. No pinging with that stuff in the tank, so I saved it for Friday night street racing on the local downtown raceways.

8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

The old Western Auto stores, which sold shotguns under the name Western field or feld.

Regards....Gerald

9. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Being a 'trap boy' and sneaking a beer into the trap house?

LA in MA

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

slipping over the Indana line into Ohio when I was 18 for some 3.2 beer with 12.9 cents a gal gas in the tank

11. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

When I was 7 or 8 years old, I would buy my shotgun shells 3 or 4 at a time from the local hardware store. I could not afford a whole box of shells. The shells were always up high, and next to the shells was an open box of dynamite. The sticks were packed in sawdust. I assumed you had to be an adult to buy the dynamite, but I loved to get a stick out of the box and smell it. It smelled so good. Within 15 minutes, I would have the worse headache of a lifetime. That’s how I got high in my youth. I’m still messing with nitro, but now it’s little pills. Ha, ha

12. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Being 16 yrs old and "bootlegging" quarts of Coors beer out of my "40" Ford.I had a friend that his dad owned a "Bar" across the county line and he and i would buy beer by the case from his dad.We would park on the "Sears" parking lot and sell Quarts of beer for a Dollar!!!.If the Bar owner or myself did that nowdays they (Police) would throw US UNDER the Jail. Fun times !!!!! Joe joe90t

13. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Unsingle, You bring back another old favorite memory..we would buy 1/4 sticks from the local hardware on the pretext of blowing out stumps. Tape them up and shoot them with rifles until you blew them up. Heck of a blast, but a great target. Bounty on crows feet, used that money to buy more shells so we could shoot more crows. We would bait them with a dead rabbit and shoot them with .22 shorts..about thirty cents a box.

Big Jack

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Joe90T, I did kind of the same thing my Dad used to raise a bunch of turkeys and the guys that hauled the turkey feed were always younger guys, old to me, but I would get to know them and they would buy me beer or booze, and I was the official bootlegger in high school

I would take orders all week most of the kids would order premium beer and then on Wednesday call the suppliers and order the beer but tell them to buy the cheapest there was, and if anybody complained I just told them I would give their money back, never had to though, made some damn good money

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

I must be older than you guys because I was an adult when all that stuff was commonplace. I can remember back when toys were made of wood or pot metal. NO airconditioning at all in my hometown. Outdoor toilets in town were common,as well as raising chickens in your back yard.etc !!!!!!

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I was in a liquor store the other day and bought a bottle of "Old Granddad," I had never had any before. It's some good hooch. They also had "Four Roses" of the shelf. I think I'll try that next time. I didn't know it was still made.

17. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Now you guys did it. Got me thinking of how great it was being a kid. The only things I had to worry about was ammo for hunting & trapping.Sears 22 ammo .19 a box .23 for longs and .27 for long rifles 12ga target loads $2.27 And how easy it was to find a place to hunt. I really miss the cars 70 roadrunner with a 426 hemi Dads 57 chevy and his 70 chevelle 454 4spd and the hemi cuda And the hearse my best friend used to take to the drive in He could sneak a lot of people in also a cooler of beer his older brother bought for us Now if you will excuse me I think Ill sit in the recliner listen to some 70s music and day dream about the days gone bye

18. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Back in the early 60's, my Dad brought home a box of M-80s. They would blow a good size hole in the lawn. Took some to school one day, and lit one in the bathroom, and flushed it. The toilet was one with the tank mounted up on the wall, with a pull chain. Boy what a mess. I got a real beating over that from the principal and my Dad. Charlie

19. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Pennsylvania..........$4.00 bounty on Fox....$5.00 bounty on Great Horned Owls...are you kidding me???? I'm not even sure you're allowed to get rid of a nuisance chipmunk now............Uncle Sam

20. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

The mention of Federal paper hulls brought back memories!

Many a long Minnesota winter was made a bit more tolerable by spending saturday or sunday afternoons back in the early 70's with my friends, shooting barn pigeons. We had a regular route set up, and didn't even have to stop and ask permission.

My friend and I shot 20 gauge papers in a pair of Rossi side by sides. Being cheap (as well as poor, by virtue of being married with kids), we made those hulls stretch by using masking tape when the crimps fell apart; it kept the shot from running out of the barrel! Sometimes a wrap of tape around the base would allow one more load before finally burning through and separating.

Nothing sharpened our shooting skills like trying to hit a dodging and swooping pigeon as it shot out of the top of a silo!

Kiv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.