1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else mix shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

this is more of a question for the long range game shooters, like protections, annies, and shoot offs. I have found that I have more success hitting targets at a great distance when I mix 2 or sometimes 3 different shot sizes together. for a second or third shot from the 27 yd line I mix 7's and 6's. for the first shot in a long range shoot off(less than 50 yards) i use 6's and 5's. and for the second or third shot in a shoot off(more than 50 yards) i will mix 4's, 5's, and 6's. for blue chips/ piece shoots i will mix 8's and 5's to break the pieces. Im curious how many other shooters do the same thing as i do. thanks BYG

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Best be careful, some clubs restrict your shot sizes to 7 1/2 's so if you get caught you might have a problem especially now that you confessed to it on here ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

One shot Vodka and 2 shots Vermouth.

4. letts

letts TS Member

I shoot reclaim at the present time, lots of different shot. Due my great skill or my lack their of I see no advantage.

Letts

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Yes Remington had a 7 1/2- 8 duplex shell,Winchester had some 2X4 game loads also. There was no advantage,they were all discontinued about 15 years ago. Clyde

6. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I dont have to worry about shot size restrictions at the clubs i shoot. I have tried all of my current reloads with a single size of shot but I didnt hit as many targets with those shells. I dont know if its all mental or if the patterns has improved. BYG

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What you are doing is making your shot string longer. The larger shot retains it's energy longer and the smaller shot trails behind. If this is "working" for you it is symptomatic of a problem with your shooting.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I mix one with a beer now and then.

-Gary

9. 3357

3357 Member

mixed 4s and 5s = "Kentucky 9s"

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I believe several years ago there was a thread on this subject. If I recall correctly there was some research done and the randomly mixed size shot load performed consistently worse than a single size shot load on the patterning board.

The true duplex factory loads were put together with the about a half charge of smaller size shot loaded first into the wad cup. Then the shell was "topped off" so to speak with a half charge of the larger size shot. It seemed that the true duplex pattern results were better than with a single size of shot, but marginally so.

11. jjv1234

jjv1234 Member

I like to throw a 00 Buck pellet or two into my trap loads. You never know when that prized 18 pointer is going to stagger out of the trap house or wander over to see what all the noise in that grassy clearing is.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

When this question comes up (though it doesn't come up as often as the 7-1/2's or 8's, or the recoil from fast/slow powder issue) you usually get two or three answers, all of which are true.

1. If you check your shot right out of the factory shot bags, often times the variance is enough to say you're getting 7-1/2's and 8's in a bag marked 8's anyway.

2. If this really worked, Remington would still be doing it.

3. At 16 yards, you could mix 7-1/2's 8's, 8-1/2's and 9's randomly, and it probably wouldn't matter.

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If you check any bag of shot on the market today, take a caliper reading of every pellet in that bag, you'll find that your easily shooting 3 sizes of shot.

Shot making is not an "exact science"...

But "if it feels good do it". Continue on, your way. As with the 7.5 versus 8's battle, its what works for you...

14. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

since it was mention, what about 9s, and as far about recoil use a P.F. stock or any of the higher end set up that are available, all equal no felt recoil, more money less recoil.

15. RLC323

RLC323 Member

One of the previous discussions on this topic. http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread_archive2.cfm?threadid=86718

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What usually works the best is to put the shot on target. Most other factors are insignificant if you can just do that one thing.

17. TD1958

TD1958 Member

A.J. unlike you I mix mine with clay target pitch to turn the sky black.LOL!!!!!!!! Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.