1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone air brush wood grain on a stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by loanman, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loanman

loanman Active Member

is there anyone out there that can air brush wood grain on a stock? I have a half wood and half bondo stock that I would like to have someone air brush to look like wood instead of painting it a solid color

I know Beretta has a dipping process so I am sure it can be done?

2. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Go to a local bike show and you'll learn who's the best in your area. Some of these guys are unbelievably talented. You'll probably need to coat the finished product with some type of semi-gloss or flat clear coat to protect it. Interesting approach.

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Also if you want to go radical they're really good at Grim Reaper's, LOL.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A friend of mine has a film dipping service, and can do several types of wood grain.

5. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Check with local auto restorers. They may be able to put you in touch with someome that does dashboards and interior window surrounds on early cars. I know a guy that does it on Model A's. He makes the metal parts look like the most beautiful burl walnut I have ever seen. There must be others out there that can do the same.
    I have tried it a couple of times and what I did turned out decent after getting some tips from him.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Great link Brian. I'm going to keep that one for future referance.

ss

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What SS said x2. I've got a Stag Arms AR15 i'd love to have camo dipped. Very cool. I have seen this done on TV. Very cool process and hard for my small mind to grasp how it works. Thanks for the link Brian.

Matt

8. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

An old house in the Nashville, Tn area that was used in the civil war as a hospital had the base boards painted and textured to look like fine marble. They still look good today even after all these years. It is amazing what some folks can do with paint.

Someone on here may know the name of the place. I don't remember.

9. dudleyone

dudleyone TS Member

I think this is what you are looking for.

10. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Mark Larson in Washington state does it, too.

Some pics...

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=216348#Post216348

11. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Here is the hydrographic film process on youtube. The film can be camo or many of the versions of wood grain and burl wood.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I paint my stock (PFS) some wild colors with an air brush. I have two sets of wood and plastic so I've tried many colors. It's kind of fun and certainly gets a lot of looks. I tried the dipping process, and wasted about $150.00. Believe me, the paint works better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.