1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anybody compete with auto loaders?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wheelchair shooter, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

I am curious about how many people use semi autos for competition. I do not see or hear of many people using these type of guns. Why?

Thad

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have used a Beretta 391 and actually started registered shooting with a Remington 1187. You still see these types of shotguns on the line and they are capable of shooting good scores.

The reason people tend to go to the break open style guns has to do with simplicity of operation, greater durability and minimal maintenance requirements.

3. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

There are tons of youth shooters using them. Less felt recoil.

Last season on our youth team we had 5 kids with Remington 1100 classics. (one of which took 3rd place in AIM Nationals), 2 with Remington 1100 field guns, 3 shooting Beretta 3901RL's and 1 kid shooting a Benelli.

11 of the 17 kids we had shooting last year were using semi-autos.

4. Robb

Robb Member

I used 1100's for years. Go for it. You will feel good when you beat the $10000 crowd. No shame at all for autos but use shell catcher.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The big dollar gun owners are embarassed when they get beat by a $600 auto loader, so you don't hear much about it. HMB

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Pete McCall was one of the finest with a Winchester Super-X Model 1!!

7. WGB

WGB Member

I suppose it depends on the "competition". If you mean ANY type of competition lots of people shoot autos. If you mean big league competition, maybe not so much.

Pretty funny the last few comments were the typical "I beat the high dollar shooter with my $299 Turkish Masterpiece." That has nothing to do with the original post. Does it makes you feel better about yourself or your choice of shotguns to post that comment? Pretty fragile egos on here.

Doesn't matter what anyone shoots.

8. pigman66

pigman66 TS Member

I injured a shoulder while in the military and use a Remington 1100 comp to shoot with. I can't take the recoil of an over and under.
    Paul

9. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

I shoot a 391 and have shot some good scores with it. There is only one other person that shoots at our club that shoots a semi auto and everyone else shoots SBT's.Even at our state shoot there were no semi autos. All you here about are the SBT guns. I was just wondering why.

Thanks, Thad

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Daro Handy...Rem. 1100...BIG DOG

11. shaggist

shaggist Member

I shoot Winchester Super X-1s for several reasons. It has very little felt recoil and one gun can be used for all claybird sports. I have injured shoulders, and will become a Senior Veteran shooter the next birthday. I can't absorb the recoil of a 3 dram, 1 1/8oz load 300 times in one day and still be able to function reasonably well. I don't have the same stamina or endurance as I did in my younger days, so anyway I can reduce the fatigue factor I am going to useit.

My major problem is, I am a 29 year guy living in a 69 year old body.

Jack

12. Robb

Robb Member

WGB, I was speaking about the GAH.You are right though that it matters not what a man shoots only how he shoots it. Mine was $400 BTW.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

My 1100 drives the Canterbury crazy.

14. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Love my 1100's. Ran some nice score with it and hasn't let me down.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If someone really believes they can't compete with an autoloader they might want to look up Pete McCall's averages when he shot that SX-1. They're really scary. What a fine shooter he was!!

16. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I stood right next to an all american that broke a 99 in the Dbles once in Butte Mt. He laughed when he missed the one. He was shooting a Beretta 390 I believe. I don't think I have ever seen birds broke with such smoke.

Rick in MT

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I don't shoot registered, so I'm only competing against myself. But I prefer a gas autoloader because of the recoil reduction. I initially used an 870, but two, sometimes three rounds of trap were all my shoulder cared for. I can shoot all day long with an 1100 or 1187.

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Big Leo used an 1100 for a lot of years and shot terrific scores with it. Tom Strunk shot a Super-X 1 for years getting his Grand Slam at #50 on the list. Also was the second shooter in history to break all 300 targets the same day,16s, 27 yard caps and doubles. Yeah, the semi-autos will work and work well.

Hap

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Shot an 1100 trap, then a 11-87 trap, Then a single barrel trap gun. Then I wanted to shoot doubles so I spent a couple of years with a 391 trap. I am back to an O/U. The semi autos are great shooters and really were dependable, but the down side is the cleaning. The semi autos dump the unburned crap from the inside of the shells into the trigger group and shell lifter. Dirty powder seemed to make this worse. An O/U can shoot all season without cleaning or relubricating the triggers.

20. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I shoot a Benelli Cordoba and do pretty good with it,I do have a shell catcher on though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ron sellers trap shooting

trap shooter ron sellers