1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does a slow/fast pull still exist?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

After being away from trapshooting, I'm trying to get back in the saddle again.While shooting our league shoot I had a mic that was picking up my call much later than the others. I had to change to a scream of "up" to get a good pull.I've never ran in to this before.What's the rule on this? Is there a such thing as a fast or slow pull with the voice release set up?

2. tedskeet

tedskeet TS Member

NO YOU ARE ALLOWED 2 F/F PER ROUND THAT WOULD BE 8 F/F PER 100

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If the speaker/mics aren't properly calibrated, it may take more volume or a different pitch to launch a target. Make sure the mic is aimed at you and don't be shy. The amount of delay is set by the control box and the trap, not the speaker/mic. You might want to ask them to replace the speaker. Mark

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If the bird does not release on your call, it's nothing...

You can ask that the offending speaker be replace if it is indeed defective for others. If it's just you, well, now that's a problem.

5. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

you can get a slow pull with a voice call, what happens I think is the mic misses the first part of the call and catches it a second late.

This happened to me and I turned it down as a slow pull. A big arguement ensued as I stated that it was a slow pull and the ref went into a big tirade about a slow pull being impossible with a Canterbury. Very problematic. I missed the next two targets by being upset at the ref after being straight about 40 targets into the h-cap event. Sumbitch.

What about that?

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Not unusual with voice systems although much better than human pullers. Notice Leo moves his speaker to the right when this issue pops up!!

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

IMO, It's a poor call, not a slow pull, but with most trap shooters, it's never the shooters fault. :) See the bird, shoot the bird! Mark

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Many times when a station won't deliver a target on call, the speaker is dead. The shooter may not realize his speaker is not picking up his call and calls louder. The adjacent speaker picks up the call and throws the target creating a slow pull.

Surfer

9. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

good point surfer

10. Shawn

Shawn Member

bjk1972

Yes there is still a slow or fast pull. Make sure to let the score keeper know it was slow or fast otherwise they may charge you with a Failure to fire.

E. NO TARGET The referee/scorer shall rule “NO TARGET” and allow another target(s) in the following instances:

6. When the trap is sprung without any call of pull, or when it is sprung at any material interval of time before or after the call of the contestant, provided the contestant does not fire. If the contestant fires, the result must be scored.

Welcome back to trap shooting

Shawn

11. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

You must not shoot much.........speakers throw plenty of "off" time targets.

GS

12. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

We have not experienced that issue with our wireless voice system. However we only use the the system for registered targets. Daily practice is with a puller/scorer on the field with a button. We have found the equipment stays in much better shape and is flawless when we have a shoot. The voice systems always work better when shooters call Pull and emphasize the P. As far as the trap help goes, I teach them what a slow pull is and what a fast pull is and ask them to try to ensure the target comes out on "Pa" of the call "Pull".

That is of course unless the shooter is known for not tipping the trap help. In that case, I tell the trappers to alternate slow pulls with quick pulls and to call/score lost on any target not attempted unless broken. The shooter may call for another target.

Shoot safely, well and often.

13. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

There will always be slow pulls wether electronic or hand release. Its part of the game and a ref that says it isn't possible should not have the designation...

14. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

At the Southwestern Grand a couple of years ago, shooting singles. I got a slow pull and when I didn't shoot the scorer called "failure to fire". I questioned him and indicated it was a slow pull, and he told me that they were instructed at the beginning of each day in their "trap help meeting" that with voice activators there was no such thing as a slow pull and it was to be scored as an FTF. He was just doing what he was told, so there really was no point in arguing.

To answer the original question, yes there still are slow or fast pulls. Slow is usually someone not calling loud enough or sharp enough and getting the target late in their call instead of at the beginning of their call, or calling too quickly after the prior person has shot before the machine is ready to throw again. The fast ones are usually caused by some sound other than the shooter (loud call on the next field, closing the action on a semi, etc).

Scott

15. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I am in charge of maintaining our clubs trap equipment, so I get ALL the complaints. Most of the time, if the rest of the stations are functioning properly for the shooter, its that the offending mic/speaker is out of calibration. Let me emphasize the...."if the rest of the stations are functioning properly for the shooter".
    We have a couple of spares and replacing the speaker/mic solves the problem. By the way, Bob Schultz services our CVR's and does an outstanding job with almost instant turn around times.

Mark

p.s. We use the wireless systems. Replace or check the batteries. By the time the low battery light comes on its too late.

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Also interesting to note the a failure to fire is different than a no target as explained in the failure rule

D. FAILURE TO FIRE

The following procedure shall be followed in all tournaments:

1. A contestant shall be allowed two (2) failures to fire in Singles and Handicap events, for any reason other than stated in Paragraph C.,2. above, during each sub-event regardless of the length of the sub-event. When the first or second allowable Failure to Fire in any sub-event occurs, the contestant shall be allowed to call for and fire at another target, and the result of the shot will be scored in accordance with these Official Rules. During shoot-offs for All Around and High Over All events shooters will be allowed 1 Failure to Fire in each of the three (3) disciplines (Singles, Handicap, Doubles).

2. A contestant shall be allowed 2 failures to fire, for any reason other

Paragraph (2) C says

2. When a whole target appears promptly after a contestant’s recognizable command and is within the legal limits of flight and the contestant voluntarily does not fire;

Just thought the difference should be noted.

Bob Lawless

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

When one shooter out of five has a problem with every position you know the shooters call is not correct. The microphone should be on the shooters off side for best results, i.e. on the left side for a right handed shooter. Sometimes it's the trap machine that's causing slower release times.

Eric

18. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: When one shooter out of five

Seen that more than a few times on squads that I was on...

19. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

It's not always the volume of the call that doesn't trigger the mic. Sometimes it what you use for a call. Those that go "aaahhhh" seem to have problems. They go "aaaahhh", no bird....again "aaaahhh" no bird. Move the mic, look down into it and go "pull" bird comes right on time. Put the gun up and go "aaahhh" no bird.

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

RickN,

That sounds like the definition of insanity. "Doing the same thing over & over and expecting different results"

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.