1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does a ported bbl. affect your shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

If some of the gases exit the bbl thru the ports does this not affect shot speed or pattern?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

No - and that's the reason porting is ineffective with shotgun target loads. There isn't enough pressure present for enough to be bled off to make any change in muzzle velocity. That's how porting works - it bleeds off some pressure before the ejecta clears the muzzle, which in turn will reduce velocity if the pressure is reduced enough.

Chronograph the same ammo through a ported barrel and an identical non-ported barrel - the difference will be very small and could just be the difference in the two barrel's bores causing it.

Ed

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. HMB

4. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Operating at the low relative low pressures that shotgun shells produce, I can't see how shotgun porting is that effective....

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Porting is not for reducing recoil. It's for reducing barrel jump. Some (many) shooters like porting. Just look at all the ported guns on any rack.

6. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

The volume being vented cannot affect your wad upon exit. And has been said, porting helps to reduce muzzle jump.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>..."Some (many) shooters like porting."...</i></blockquote>ALL shooters like porting; some like to use it and the rest like to have something else to whine and complain about!

Keller

8. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Doesn't the shot escaping from the porting holes cut down on shot to the target.

Too bad they don't include mufflers for the noise. LOL Ken U

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Cosmic rays entering your barrel through the ports will effect the shot pattern. HMB

10. AveragEd

You guys are going to think this is pure bull but a reader wrote to tell me about how a fellow shooter was hit by shot that escaped from a ported barrel on a skeet gun. I mentioned it in the mail section of my column and allowed that I really didn't think that is where the stray pellets originated.

Last month, I received a handwritten letter from the "victim" who assured me that the errant shot came from a fellow shooter's gun's ports. They had in fact duplicated it numerous times and he swears that if you stand beside that shooter's gun, sooner or later you will be hit by pellets.

I didn't get into what kind of gun it is, what kind of porting it has or, perhaps most important, what kind of wads are involved (if any?). I admit to still being a little doubtful.

Ed

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Ed, that letter was funny.

12. quartering

quartering Active Member

do you drill holes in your car fenders to improve braking?

13. Animal

Animal Member

"Cosmic rays entering your barrel through the ports will effect the shot pattern. HMB"

And that is exactly why I cover my ports with tin foil.

14. 3357

3357 Member

when I bought my XT for doubles I would have gladly paid extra for NO porting.

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Has about as much effect as punching louvers in the hood of your car...cosmetics. See Porsche thread above. Regards, Ed

16. jawinchester

jawinchester Member

When I see a buddy shoot 25 straight on the skeet field, it has nothing to do with whether he has ported barrels. One of porting's biggest effects is to transfer noise sideways. When pulling for fellow skeeters I stay as far away from ported barrels as possible.

--Jerry

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Brd Slyr, Don't forget to put some tin foil inside your hat. HMB

18. brownk80

brownk80 Member

"...if you stand beside that shooter's gun..."? If you are stupid enough to stand beside a shooters gun when they are shooting skeet it isn's shot that is hitting you it is the small pieces of your brain bouncing around your head!

Every sport has its own idiot. Michael Vick, Jose Conseco, "victim", just to name a few.

19. AveragEd

Perhaps I didn't explain what he said very well. By "beside," the writer meant "to the side" as in several feet away or even became "beside" the gun when the shooter swung it after a target.

Boy, right away with the name-calling!

Ed

20. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

I was shooting doubles,I was on post 4 the shooter on post two had a ported barrel with the elliptical (spelling)porting, when he shot the first (right) bird something hit me on my arm about the middle of my bicept. I though a bee had stung me, I grabbed my arm and there was a piece of lead shot stuck to my skin. It was in about the shape of an hour glass and maybe .0015thick and maybe 3/16 inch long. When I pulled it off it was still warm to the touch. Now I didn't see it come from his barrel, but I don't know where else it could have come from. As small as it was it couldn't have traveled very far and still be hot and have enough energy to stick to my skin.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.