1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Does A Barrel Weight Help Slow Down Swing Of Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jawhawker, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It should with the effect being to not necessarily slow you down but rather, smooth you out. The magic point will require experimenting.

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yes and holding out a little further on your forearm will help, too. Might try this first. This has really helped my control...and scores. Best Regards, Ed

3. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

+1 for Old Goats suggestion!

Pat

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Learning gun control is a lot cheaper and brings more lasting results that hanging an anchor on the barrel.

Phil Kiner told me that the reason I ran past targets was that I wasn't looking at them.

Keller

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Well then, what were you looking at?

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

+2 for old goats suggestion----and after you are done "admiring" the beads forget them, look out in front of the traphouse & tell that computer (the one between your ears) to be READY for a little orange thing coming out. Remember you don't care when you break the bird just so you break it, don't pull (release) the trigger until you see that fuzzy--blurry blob of the muzzle right where you know it should be. 25 st is better than 23 inkballs & two 0s. Ross Puls

7. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Well then, what were you looking at?"</i></blockquote>I was watching either the beads or the ass end of the targets. I locked onto the back of the targets and never got my eye in front of it.

Keller

8. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Keller,
    I have been experiencing the same problems as of late. Either I catch myself looking at the beads or I am locked onto the back end of the target. Any tricks as to how you overcame this problem??

Thanks,

Jim Bradbury

9. Unknown1

No tricks...just back to basics and paying attention to details.

I rewrote my move to the target. I spent a lot of time teaching myself to not move the gun until I had a sold eye lock on the front edge of every target I got. I did a lot of standing behind other shooters watching their targets but that's not the same as looking over the barrel knowing you have to shoot the next one.

I think it helped that I shoot with one eye because I was also able to incorporate a higher gun hold into the mix. Now I hold about 1-2 barrel widths above the lip of the house and look out over and beyond the barrel. When the target appears now they look like they are going a lot slower than they used to. I've got myself to the point where I find it and focus on it before I move to it...most of the time. The good shots already know this; me? I had to discover it for myself.

I honestly thought that it was gonna slow me way down doing things step by step but I think I am actually moving to targets quicker than I was before because now I know where to go.

Keller

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I have made a neoprene & velcro wrist strap with a pocket for a Lyman lead ingot.

Used it to smooth out swings on light guns

worked great but as you get smoother, you dont need it so much

regards

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Any time you add weight forward of the balance point, it will slow down the inertia of the gun.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

In my opinion 90% of all missed targets are from not keeping the meat on the stock or aiming instead of pointing. I like Ross explanation. I firmly believe in not looking at the beads but this is hard to do until you have shot hundreds of rounds through that particular gun and know where it shoots. With that said I am shooting well with my 90T and the weight is a big factor as it does slow me down which eliminates a lot of errors

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to slow down gun swing

how to slow down trap swing

slow down gun swing