1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Does a 25lb Bag of Shot Weigh 25lbs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Not always! I've weighed bags that didn't.

BB

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Just a guess, but a relatively good one. I think that shot is probable not weighed during bagging. It is probably 'volumetrically' bagged. If it wasn't wouldn't high antimony shot bags have more shot in them?

I hear Neil's footsteps coming......................

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I just weighed all of my 412 bags...

Average weight per bag: 25 lbs. 4 oz.

Curt

P.S. Yeah, yeah...April Fool's Day is 10 weeks away!!

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have a large supply of shot but the only scales I have that will weigh them are only accurate to around 1/2 pound. Because the size of the shot in the bags is not always the size of the shot stamped on the bags with some brands, I see no reason to expect the weight in the bags to be very accurate. A bag of #6 shot appears to me to have the same volume as a bag of #9 shot. The interesting, and a little complex, mathematical packing theory would not predict that 25 pounds of #6 shot in a bag would have the same volume as 25 pounds of #9 shot.

Pat Ireland

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Pat is right again. Doesn't it depend on the MOST important question this site has ever discussed?

7-1/2's or 8's

Tom(AJ100)

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You should return them and get ones that weigh 25 lbs. HMB

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I weighed 3 bags of west coast magnum - three different sizes, 7.5, 5, 4 and they all weighed almost exactly the same 25.1 lbs

8. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Come on SUMMER..................Roger

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What about a 25 lb bag of feathers. Is that lighter than a 25 lb bag of shot?

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How many 1 Oz feather loads can we get from a 25 pound bag of feathers Tim....

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Why, 400 of course!

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Everyone: Weigh your shot, and take the overage out, putting it in a coffee can. When you get emough, fill a shot bag and secure it with a zip tie.

When you get 2 bags, notify me and I will send you the money for a flat rate USPS box and take the surplus away.

HM

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I just weighed a bag of Remington Mag. and a bag of Black Diamond shot on dig. scales supposedly accurate to 2 oz. They both weighed 25.4 lb. Bags would weigh a couple oz.'s. They are probably exactly 25lb. They aren't going to give any away.

14. Ricky B

Ricky B TS Member

What weighs more, an ounce of shot, or an ounce of gold? Yes, a trick question, but not in the way most people think.

As you well know EE, an ounce of gold weighs more!

Shot, being made of lead, is measured in avoirdupois ounces, and gold, being a precious metal, is measured in troy ounces. An avoirdupois ounce has 437.5 grains to the ounce while the troy ounce has 480 grains to the ounce. Thus a troy ounce is heavier than an avoirdupois ounce.

But a pound of shot is heavier than a pound of gold because an avoirdupois pound has 16 ounces while a troy pound has only 12. So a pound of lead weighs 7,000 grains while a pound of gold weighs 5,760 grains.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ricky- I did like your accurate and logical post; however, you made one error. Lead has now become a precious metal.

Pat Ireland

16. Cray

Cray Member

Does a ton of feathers weigh a ton??? Cray

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The law says an advertised weight on a product must weigh that much and usually a smidgeon more.

Beer Low power 3.2 cannot be over that amount, 6.0% beer cannot be over that amount because of the alcohol tax, same goes for whiskey. 6% beer must be over 3.2% but not over 6%. there is an ATF inspector at the brewery that has a tool to ck. this out, I have seen it a Bottler in New Jersey when I was applying for a job as Maint. Supervisor.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how much does a bag of 6 shot weigh
how much does a bag of bird shot weigh
how much does lead shot weigh
is lead measured in troy ounces

lead shot 25lbs