1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dodge Caravan

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Need a mechanics advice. My daughters 2002 Dodge Caravan wants to stall, she took it to the local Dodge Dealer and after $300+ it still wants to stall. It will always start again but very annoying at the stop lights. Any ideas? Glenn

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Dirty injector(s), or bad fuel pump, or intake manifold leak, or computer or sensor problem, or plugged converter which, a plugged converter, highly unlikely. Also, highly unlikely, damaged exhaust system or bad O2 sensor. A dealer "should" have got it right the first time. What's up with that?

3. boba7449

boba7449 Member

WHAT DID THE DEALER ACTUALLY DO ? GOOD POSSIBILITY THAT THROTTLE BODY IS DIRTY AND NEEDS TO BE CLEANED OR IDLE SPEED MOTOR IS BAD.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I owned a then-new 2001 for 2 years years. It was the biggest collection of engineering and assembly incompetence ever collected in one place. I wish you good luck with your Caravan.

MK

5. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Thanks for the ideas

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

As stated in by another by Chango 2, it sounds like a fuel problem, but start with cheap repairs. Air filter could be clogged look there then have some one check fuel pressuer, if it's low, replace the fuel filter and recheck pressuers. Clean the injectors.

7. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had a 2005 with the same problem. Did a throttle chamber cleaning and a Injection flush/cleaning, cost 155.95 at the dealership.

good luck
    Doug

P.s. Cured the problem

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Three things come to mind. EGR, Idle Control, or Throttle Body cleaning. The Idle control might be electrical or mechanical in nature. Same issues for EGR. The Throttle body is usually deposits that require a good cleaning. Can't do much remotely, since I don't play with Caravans much, but most modern gasoline powered vehicles share these common issues.

9. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Glenn: there is one thing you could try that won't cost you any money. Its called "adaptive numerator". Its the engine computers way of counting holes in the flywheel windows so it knows what cylinder to fire. If it has had a dead battery lately, it could of lost adaptive numerator. So the next thing any person would think is, if I lost adaptive numerator, how does one find it again. Well Glenn heres what you do. Drive somewhere that is isolated. Pull the shifter handle down into 1st gear. Accelerate to approx 4,000 rpms and let off the accelerator allowing the van to coast for 7 seconds without braking. You have to do this 3 times.Hope this helps. Birdtracker

10. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Never heard of this, are you on the level? glenn

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

glenn

Yes, Birdtracker is absolutely on the level.

On some Chrysler vehicles, the adaptive numerator has to be learned by the PCM in order for the Misfire Monitors to be allowed to run. It's part of the OBDII emissions system strategies. The Processor needs to calibrate to "normal", so it knows what "abnormal" crankshaft speed (Acceleration) variations are. Usually, the "Check Engine" light could illuminate and throw a code like P1398 if the strategies were not resolved. The MIL light may also NOT illuminate, but the code may still be set.

I just thought that you did not mention anything like "rough running" or "misfire", and did not mention a MIL illumination. If the MIL were illuminated, you should interrogate the PCM for stored codes and continue diagnosis by the code. Otherwise, you would need to look for something that would cause a stall. I mentioned three areas to point to. There is a link above, where some people have had a LOT of similar issues and have thrown parts at their vehicles. Maybe some of the symptoms and cures might help you out.

Here is a cut and paste from some documentation regarding the OBDII Monitors. It gives a non-detailed explanation, but it's at least something to go on.

Here is some interesting reading regarding OBDII Readiness monitoring:

Only the monitors, which are not YES in the CARB Readiness Status, need to be completed. Specific criteria need to be met for each monitor. The most efficient order to run the monitors has been outlined below, including suggestions to aid the process.

Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection with Purge Monitor
    This monitor requires a cool down cycle, usually an overnight soak for at least 8 hours without the engine running. The ambient temperature must decrease overnight - parking the vehicle outside is advised. To run this test the fuel level must be between 15-85% full. Criteria for EVAP monitor:

Engine off time greater than one hour .
    Fuel Level between 15% and 85%.
    Start Up ECT and IAT within 10°C (18°F).
    Vehicle started and run until Purge Monitor reports a result.
    NOTE: If the vehicle does not report a result and the conditions where correct. It may take up to two weeks to fail the small leak monitor. DO NOT use this test to attempt to determine a fault. Use the appropriate service information procedure for finding a small leak. If there are no faults and the conditions are correct this test will run and report a pass. Note the Small leak test can find leaks less than 10 thousands of an inch. If a small leak is present it takes approximately one week of normal driving to report a failure.

Catalyst / O2 Monitor
    The Catalyst and O2 Monitor information are acquired and processed at the same time. Most vehicles will need to be driven at highway speed (less than 50 mph) (73km/h) for a few minutes. Some vehicles run the monitor at idle in drive. If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission, using 4th gear may assist in meeting the monitor running criteria.

Engine RPM between 1200 to 3000.
    Engine temperature greater than 70°C (158°F)
    Engine run time greater than 92 seconds
    MAP between 10 - 20 kPa (7.5 - 15 Hg)
    Vehicle speed between 20 - 70 mph (29–103 km/h)

EGR Monitor
    After the vehicle has reached the below conditions and during a throttle decel the EGR monitor will run.

Engine RPM between 1375 - 2500
    Engine temperature greater than 70°C (158°F)
    Engine run time greater than 125 seconds
    Vehicle speed between 25 - 70 mph (37–103 km/h)

O2 Sensor Heater Monitor
    This monitor is now continuously running once the heaters are energized. Pass information will be processed at power down.

Mis-Fire Monitor
    The Misfire Monitor is a continuous two-trip monitor. The monitor uses two different tests/counters:

NOTE: The Adaptive Numerator must be learned before the PCM will run the Mis-Fire Monitor. The PCM updates the Adaptive Numerator at every key-ON, and is relearned after battery disconnect. The Misfire Monitor will not run until the Adaptive Numerator has updated since the last battery disconnect. If the Adaptive Numerator is equal to the default value then the PCM knows that the Adaptive Numerator has not been learned and does not permit the Misfire Monitor to run. If the Adaptive Numerator exceeds a calibrated percentage, the PCM sets a DTC for CKP NOT LEARNED and illuminates the MIL.

200 Revolution Counter
    - Looks for misfire that can cause immediate catalyst damage.

1000 Revolution Counter
    - Looks for misfire that can cause emissions to increase 1.5 times the Federal Test Procedure (FTP) standards. This test must also identify misfire percentages that might cause a “durability demonstration vehicle” to fail an Inspection and Maintenance Program tailpipe emissions test.

12. birdtracker

its on the level. Sorry but this is 2010. Have you heard of diesel exhaust fluid yet? Birdtracker

13. birdtracker

adaptive numerator will not have a check engine light or fault code. You can P.M me if neccessary. Birdtracker

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Diesel Exhaust Fluid for Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) Technology? Yes I've heard of it. Cummins had distributed some advance information some years back.

AND, there very well can be a DTC P1398 set in a Chrysler or Jeep PCM. It may or may not illuminate the MIL as I stated before. The ones I have seen frequently were caused by erroneous PCM programming. An updated ROM calibration was required to resolve some of them. It IS related to the Adaptive Numerator and Misfire Monitor. It would likely be a "Manufacturer Designated" DTC, since the format is usually P1xxx.

The line in my last post that references the process is as follows: " If the Adaptive Numerator exceeds a calibrated percentage, the PCM sets a DTC for CKP NOT LEARNED and illuminates the MIL."

But, I don't claim to be a Chrysler expert, I just stayed in a Holiday Inn Express a few times.

15. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Mass Air Flow sensor.

Bet you 2 to 1 its this.

16. birdtracker

Buc: : you owe everyone here. Not a G.M product. Has an pressure sensor but not air flow. I am saddled with a G.M product that has a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. $200 aftermarket or $400 factory. Someday will make it to the salvage yard and try and find a good one. Birdtracker

17. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

It could be the coil but it should only start acting up after the engine is good and warm.

18. birdtracker

Please don't leave us hanging! Birdtracker

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You must have bought my old one I traded in. Had the same problem and sent it to Chrysler mechanic training school. It came back the same way and spent plenty of time on a tow truck. Thank goodness it's gone!!

20. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I'll let you know if they get it fixed what it was. I guess the RPM's will also vary when they stop at a stop light? Also, if you move your foot quickly from the brake to the footfeed you can keep it going if it is acting up. Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1999 dodge grand caravan misfire adaptive numerator

92 dodge minivan stalling after couple minutes low idle egr

dealership always wants to replace pcm in dodge caravans