1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dodge 6.7 pick up info

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Elk guide, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elk guide

Elk guide TS Member

Looking at buying a 08 Dodge pick up with a cummins 6.7. Any one have one and tell me any problems, mpg, etc. Thanks

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I have been hearing about problems with catalytic convertors and the mileage stinks compared to 07 and earlier with the 5.9 diesel. I also was a huge Dodge diesel fan till they went to this new motor. Bill

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

If it has to be a Dodge---look around for a good 5.9 liter. The new ones are best described as "Twice the fuel and half the power".

4. dodge ram

dodge ram Member

my 93 with the 5.9 has 200000 miles on it. no trouble. 19 miles per gallon in town, 224 highway, and will tow anything.

5. dodge ram

dodge ram Member

oops 24 highway

6. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

I have an 08 4x4 megacab, it will get around 16-18mpg depending on speed. This is after I put about 25k on it. The first 10-15k it wasn't to good, around 12-14mpg. I haven't had it back for any warranty work and am happy with the room the truck has. It does have plenty of power and the exhaust brake does work good pulling a trailer. I have owned an 04 4x4 quadcab, and still have a 97 4x4 one ton for the farm beater. You can't beat the cummins for torque.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Duramax: Best all-arounder, period. Particularly with some Banks upgrades, but those are hardly needed. Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, the very best. There, now I've added the fuel, expect flames..

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Do a search on the 6.7 Cummins and you will come up with lots of problems, many with the emission system. You might want to consider a early 07 5.9

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

my 6.7 gets about 15mpg in town 17 on the highway, had a few problems with the big smoke filter when I first got it, after a few trips to the dealer they did some "deletes" and I havent had any more problems with it, I have the auto trans, jake brake 4 door dually 2008

10. magic

magic Member

I have a 97 1ton 2wd dually.....240k miles and never been apart. B series 5.9 Cummins engines are amazing.

11. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

08 CQ 4x4 6.7 3500 Auto SRW here. 30,000 trouble free miles this last year. My wife drives it about 90% of the time. The 07 6.7 really had their fair share of problems and probably should not have been put out. Updates and reflash programing for a lot of folks. Unlike the 5.9 the 6.7 hates to be idled. Everyone I know that has had issues with the 6.7 has been related to extended idleing and fowling the turbo and DPF.

I've had 2 5.9s (both 6spds)and I can tell you that this is a beast when it comes to power. You can pull a house down the road doing 90 if you want.

MPG initially was around 14 mixed drivng but has been bumping up as it breaks in. Pulling has been 10-14 mpg depending on wind, Empty highway between 16-19.5 running 80 mph @ 2050 rpm, again depending on wind. Around town is now about 15 mpg.

I'd still have the 05 dually 4x4 if it were't for low sulfer diesel... greenies and money grubbing politicians really know how to ruin a good thing.

My brother is averaging 10 mpg in his 08 6.7 6spd dually 4x4, that is with a 2500 lb flatbed and 14000 lbs horse trailer (empty). He's still under 10k miles.

The Duramax is great if you don't plan on leaving a parking lot (ground clearance).

The new Ford is great if you plan on carrying ten gallons of extra diesel with you.

Garry

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Do these new "green n clean" diesels have required emission inspections now like their gas brothers?

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

more and more states are implementing emissions on diesel vehicles, from what I hear some are exhaust tested and others are visual, such as missing cats and EGR deletes. My state of Pa. so far are not checking diesels.

14. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

can you say UREAU. You will soon if you buy new diesels. Or compressed ammonia! LOL Birdtracker

15. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

older diesel semi trucks have to be up to 2007 emission standards in calif before long . i wouldn,t be surprised most of the rest of the country will follow suit. the same may apply to diesel vehicles of all kind before long. i know of an incident in which a trucker got caught in calif having removed the new exhaust system on a newer truck & put straight pipes on it.the fine was $10,000 dollars & he fixed it back the way it was from the factory before he left the scales. the muffler on the 09 & 10 semi trucks runs $5,000 bucks. dwain

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

these newfangled muffler/soot refryers scare the hell out of me...i think the govt has over stepped technology and made the truck companies sell us white elephants just to shut the EPA up

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Elk Feeder, I own a salvage yard and I can tell ya they AIN'T made the ford or chev diesel yet that will out work the Dodge dollar for dollar. Bill Grill

18. Elk guide

Elk guide TS Member

Thanks for the info. I went to Dave Smiths in Idaho and bought a 08 Dodge with the 6.7. Seems that the earlier ones or the one that was lugged around was the ones having problems. So I will take a chance i guess. Got 17.1 on the way home driving 268 miles on bad roads and in 4x4 part ways. 3:48 rear end. 6 speed stick. Truck only has 18,000 so maybe it will get better after break in. I got to say that Dave Smith in Kelloge Idaho is the place to buy a truck. No pressure and good prices. Thanks again for the info.

19. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

TRY THIS WEB SITE,IT IS ONE OF THE BEST FOR DODGE/CUMMINS,
    THER ARE MORE LINKS AT WWW.RV.NET INTHE TOW VEHICLE FORUMS
    REGUARDS
    JIM
    http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.