1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOD rescinds order to mutilate spent brass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    But... but... but.... some people here think this never happened in the first place.

2. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Details...details...
    First off, let me say that I have zero personal interest in surplus brass. You might think, well then, you don't have a dog in this fight...but I believe ANYTHING that impacts ANY shooter...affects me as well. Call me old school...but I'm one of those cranky guys that just happens to believe that for all we owe to the intellectuals in Philadelphia who, with God's guidance created the blueprint for our nation...we owe just as much or more...to the farmers that stood on Lexington Green in April of 1775. It's not The SECOND Amendment by accident, and I wil oppose ANYTHING that appears to diminish the role of the Rifleman in America.
    Let's get the whole story on this, and if appropriate...get some SERIOUS campaign assistance flowing to any friends we find that were involved.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'd like to think I did it (I know better):

Senator Feingold:

I must congratulate you for your stand on government spending. All Wiconsinites are going to suffer greatly due to the massive inflation that is coming as a result of all the money being created out of nowhere.

Yes, it's being borrowed. And interest will be paid on it. I believe half the federal income is already going to pay interest as it is. A family can not live that way, and our country should not either.

There is another pressing issue. The administration is putting restrictions on hobby firearms shooters:

It has come to my attention that the Department of Defense has issued a directive that all expended military brass (fired cases) will now be shredded and sold for scrap material, rather than resold by Government Liquidators LLC to the civilian market for remanufacture.

You may not be aware of it, but there is a severe shortage of ammunition available for sale to the public across the country, causing problems for shooters, hunters, and reloaders everywhere.

Now, apparently the Obama administration, realizing they cannot move against private firearms ownership since the landmark decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in the Washington D.C./Heller case, has made their move in another way.

By cutting off the resale of expended military ammunition to remanufacturers, they have put a stranglehold on the nation's ammunition supply.

Further, they have reduced the return to the government on expended brass by 80%. What was sold for remanufacturer at a fair return to the government, will now cost the taxpayers untold sums of money as the cost of scrap brass is far below the price per pound for expended military ammunition.

In addition, the use of remanufactured ammunition is a huge asset to law enforcement agencies across the country who buy millions of rounds of reloaded ammunition a year from these manufacturers for practice rounds.

With this market gone, law enforcement will no longer be able to purchase inexpensive reloaded ammunition, and with the continuing combat status of military forces across the Middle East, original manufacturers of new ammunition are turning out everything they can make to the government, thus exacerbating the shortage of new ammunition in both the civilian and law enforcement market.

Lastly, in these harsh economic times, does it not strike you as cold and calculating that the Obama administration has no compunction against ruining an industry that employs thousands of American citizens in the remanufacturing of sporting and military ammunition. One major resupplier, Georgia Arms, the fifth largest manufacturer of centerfire pistol and rifle ammunition has informed me he will have to quickly lay off half his 60-person workforce, as he has had to cancel contracts with dozens of police agencies who had contracted with him to supply them with remanufactured .223 ammunition.

Georgia Arms has been practically put out of business by this directive that all expended military brass must be shredded. His current contracts have been canceled, and he is notifying his customers across the country he can no longer supply their ammunition needs.

Please look into this immediately. This move by the Obama administration is nothing but a back-door strike against firearms ownership in this country--if shooters can't buy ammunition, the guns are little better than steel clubs--and this is obviously the intent.

Thank you for your time and efforts in this serious attack against the Second Amendment rights of the American citizenry.

Sincerely,

HM

4. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Hope this is for real.

tom

http://www.jpfo.org/alerts03/alert20090317.htm

5. stillmisses

stillmisses TS Member

I finally received this e-mail from the DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) to my in quiry of the mutilatioon of brass 50 cal and under. It is official, the destruction order has been redinded. I receieved this e-mail @ 10:42 this AM. mike T.

Dear Sir, The Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service (DRMS), a field activity of the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), is the Department of Defense (DOD) activity responsible for the disposition of excess and surplus DOD Property.

The primary focus of the DRMS mission is to protect national security by ensuring property is properly identified for reutilization and disposition and not released for public sale when to do so would jeopardize national security.

During the past two years, DRMS revised its processes to further ensure only appropriate items were made available for public sale. To strengthen current controls and to mitigate future security risk, the DOD issued policy that prohibits the sale of military unique items controlled by the Department of State through its Munitions List.

Small arms cartridge cases are identified as a sensitive Munitions List item and were held pending review of the policy relating to the category of items in which cartridge cases were included. Upon review, the Defense Logistics Agency has determined the cartridge cases could be appropriately placed in a category of government property allowing for their release for sale.

The DRMS sales contractor (Government Liquidation) has been notified of this decision and has begun the process of reoffering the cases that have been held pending completion of the policy review. As was previously required, buyers who purchase cartridge cases from the government must be approved to do so under Trade Security Controls.

GREGORY ORTIZ
    Sales Contracting Officer DRMS J-362
    ph 269 961-7558 (dsn) 661 fx 269 961-4020
    dsn) 661
    mailto:greg.ortiz@dla.mil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.