1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOD ends sale of reloadable ammunition brass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by halfmile, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Back door gun control. there is no economic reason for this. Police departments all across the country use reloaded military ammo, not to mention the resellers pay a hell of a lot more than the scrap price.

I faxed my Senator yesterday. Everyone on this forum should raise their voice.

If they think we aren't watching, even worse will come down the pike.

HM

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well the brass belongs to the DOD so I guess they can dispose of it as they want. My guess is that they want the brass 'de-milled' because they cannot control where this stuff might end up. I don't see a gun control agenda here, sorry. The DOD has a long history of destroying old ammo, nothing new here.

3. STOS

STOS Member

Well i guess if you take the ammo away that is called ammo control not gun control.So i guess that is ok.

4. wolfram

No Sportshot, I really don't see this as a gun control move. I can see how it will have a big negative effect for people that have been enjoying low cost ammo for the black rifles and the remanufacturers of that ammo. As painful as those things are, did the government ever promise to keep you in brass? Do you think this is one of your 'god given' rights as an american? When you pay taxes to fund our military do you have a caveat in there that assures salvage rights on the brass?

Why don't we just demand loaded .223s from the government?

5. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I shoot trap and get other peoples Gun Club hulls to load. I can not buy new all the time.

this government will destroy brass and get much less for scrap than from ammo remanufacturers, but why should the Governmant try yo save any money thay have all the tax payers to support them.
    This is not their only money losing proposition.

6. STOS

STOS Member

Does anyone know how many jobs will be lost due to this action?Not to mention the 2+billion dollars in lost revenue for us.

7. creteham

creteham Member

I'll take this approach:

With all the "talking heads" in government complaining about "fraud, inefficiency, and waste" in the private sector, isn't this an example of the same thing in government? One would think that the DoD would be wise to sell the reloadable cases for more than they can get for scrap, and not have to pay someone to destroy the cases.

I'm with halfmile and others on this one. Another subtle method of gun control by attacking ammunition by artificially raising the price.

Terry

8. wolfram

There is a major ammo depot about 50 miles from where I live and I know a couple of guys that work there. One of the things they regularly do is destroy outdated ammo (including small arms stuff). Using the money saving logic, this ammo should be used as training ammo or sold to the civilian market. Well guess what it doesn't happen that way and the destruction process has been going on for quite awhile. Believe me I would love to have a pallet or two of 60's vintage .45 acp or 7.62 and would gladly 'destroy' it myself for free.

Now if we want to get on our high horses about saving jobs in the ammo making sector well then we better give up the practice of handloading all together and just use factory made stuff. What you don't want to support the people making brass and ammo in the USA? No I don't see a gun control agenda here, I see a source of cheap brass going away and more predictions of the sky falling.

9. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Hoosier. My model 12's will hold 7 rounds...stroker

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The remanufacturers like Black Hills use fired military brass.

Those of you who don't see a problem, guess what? Your police department uses remanufactured ammo for range and training purposes. Forcing them to buy new will definitely strain their budgets.

So Thank St. Erkel for another tax increase at the local level.

HM

11. Weathermaker

Weathermaker TS Member

Evidently, an agency of the Department of Defense has issued a directive that all spent military brass must be destroyed.

Here is one link that gives more details: http://www.jpfo.org/alerts03/alert20090313.htm

We can all post our feelings here...which is okay.

But, each of us needs to contact our own congressional and senatorial folks and ask for their help to get this directive reversed.

Here is a simple text message that I sent:

"Dear (Senator/Congressman),

It has come to my attention that an agency of the Department of Defense has just directed that all military fired brass must be destroyed. As a taxpayer, I oppose this action as the sale of spent military brass is a source of income that, to a degree, offsets other government expenditures.

In addition, as one that participates in military rifle shooting matches, it reduces my option to buy reloaded ammunition at a reasonable cost. We must remember, ownership of government property whether new, excess or surplus, is ultimately by the people.

As my (senator/congressman), I request you to represent me and take the necessary actions to reverse this directive by the Department of Defense.

Thank you,

(Signed)
    (City, State)"

12. Weathermaker

Weathermaker TS Member

Update:

From a member of another forum:

"I called the NRA-ILA (INSTITUTE FOR LEGISLATIVE ACTION). I spoke with a guy named Eric and he put me on hold for a few minutes till he could get the latest info on this subject.

After returning to the phone he gave me a bunch of info. The NRA is definitely aware of the problem and have heard from some reloaded ammo companies and individuals. Eric rattled off all the DOD agencies invlolved and apparently this may have been "somewhat of a mistake" The ranking DOD agency has heard our concerns and condsiders them VALID!!

Right now, the word is from DOD to the NRA that they hope to have a WAIVER put into place within a two or three weeks which will CORRECT this situation and return once fired brass, .50 caliber and below to the sales policies previously used!!!

Eric said it might be helpful to call our Congressmen just in case and make them aware of the impact on the DOD budget, police training, and inidividual rights."

I was the original poster on several forums regarding this...and, did take some heat about the authenticy of this issue. But, darn it, all I was trying to do is get folks to contact their elected reps to express some concern...just like Eric at NRA-ILA suggested.

It disappoints me that they are so many that would rather naysay and argue someone's intellect. I know there are a lot of times when rumors get started by someone, which starts a lot of needless concern on everyone else.

On the other hand, when you have a majority of folks saying the same thing, from a variety of sources...you'd think that the idea would sink in that there may be some basis to the issue at hand.

In my opinion, this is one of the reasons the pro-gun cause hasn't done as well as it could have over the years.

But, if you study the history of the founding of our great country...you'll find that our fore-fathers were also of strong minds and wills. A lot of "diferences in viewpoints" ended up in duals.

Fortunately, we don't do that today. If we did, the membership on some forums might be fewer. (Smiling)

13. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Another waste of taxpayer money. The government sells it, right? Now they want to destroy it and we ahve to buy new for our other government agencies. That or we get less income. STUPID. Used brass sells for more than for scrap brass. Even if it is not gun control, they are trying to make shooting more difficult and more expensive. If you do not see that, go to the bathroom, look in the mirror and repeat "I am an idiot".

Mike

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

What do you think that will do to the price of once fired commercial .223 brass? All this does is cause a supply to dry up. There's definitely an agenda behind this move. Basically, it sucks. BT-100dc

15. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

BT,,everything in DC sucks,,,,including,, ,, well, you know,,,,

16. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

The ban has been rescinded as of 3/17/09
    as posted on the Firearms Blog.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheFirearmBlog/~3/0b2T4qXc6Jk/

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Let me try to put this in perspective by paraphrasing wolfram:<br>
    <br>
    And banning lead shot isn't a gun control issue. Yes it will have a big negative impact on trapshooters who have been enjoying low cost ammo for their trap guns. As painful as things are, did the government promise to allow you to shoot lead shot? Do you think this is one of your 'god given' rights as an american? When you pay taxes to fund government do you have a caveat in their that ensures you will have a right to lead shot?

18. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

IABforme - thanks for posting that. I want to see it in writing from the DoD but it looks like another victory for our side! Awesome!

Jennifer

Idaho State Co-Coordinator

Second Amendment Sisters

19. wolfram

So Brian you make the huge leap from a governmental agency not selling brass in reloadable form to a ban on lead shot. Somehow this makes some kind of sense to you?

So what you are really saying is that you are a democrat when it suits your needs. For example lets say I think the government should keep me supplied with cheap brass. How is this really any different than the slum dog that thinks the government should keep him supplied with 40 Ozers. It ain't.

20. Weathermaker

Weathermaker TS Member

Looks like the "directive" has been reversed. Here is a link from The Firearm Blog that has the information:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/03/18/dod-brass-ban-lifted/

Thanks to everyone who responded to this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.