1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doc Watson R.I.P

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 22hornet, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Doc Watson passed away Tuesday at the age of 89. I hope he is playing "Shady Grove" with his son Merle in Heaven. Doc was one of the smoothest and fastest flat pickers around. Some of today's would be rockers could learn a thing or two from Doc. R.I.P.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

ahmen to that 22hornet!! He will be missed. I have several cd's with him and Earl, Ricky, Allison. Listen to them while working out daily

3. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Has been a hero of mine since the sixties. I have had the honor of seeing him in live performance a number of times, and he was always wonderful! I saw a young man pay homage to Doc in a live performance at the Silver Dollar City Bluegrass & Barbeque festival on Monday. He did "Deep River Blues" and if you closed your eyes you would have sworn Doc was picking on stage! The young man's name is Zeb Snyder and he is only 16 years old! Doc will be an influence on acoustic guitar players for years to come. Martinpicker (Jack Farrow)

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qyQOCJ4SUSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just great stuff.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I loved his voice just as much as his guitar playing.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Not many Bluegrass lovers on here. They are missing out on some fine music

7. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Lou, it seems you and i have a lot in common. Doc helped me thru a lot of miles in my Semi for a lot of years. XM radio was a lifesaver for me because of Bluegrass Junction and Doc Watson. Joe joe90t

8. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

I also loved Doc Watson's music. I first heard of him during a discussion with friends at the Alabama State shoot in the 70s. a fellow shooter named Bill McGinnis invited a few of us to come to his house and listen to some records. Bill had every Bluegrass album known to man and Doc Watson was his favorite.

That was a memorable night. Another great experience, compliments of my trapshooting friends.

Snookassassin, Clif Adams

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.