1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you use WindJammer wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikeo65, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeo65

mikeo65 TS Member

I'm thinking about moving from a Winchester WAA12 1 1/8 wad to a WindJammer WJI-12118 wad... I have new and old Winchester hulls and W209 primers, and solo 1000 powder... just wondering from those of you that use the same components how you like the results.

Did you use a replacement wad from DownRange, Claybuster, etc… , If you are using a different powder what kind are you using?

Thank,
    Mike

2. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Just loaded up some STS hulls with Chedditte primers along with 17 grains of Promo using CB4118 wads. I though only used a 1oz shot load. Looking for a denser pattern at 16 yds and a savings on powder as I had been using 19 grains of Promo. I expect a fps of 1150 or a little more. Jim

3. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I may be mistaken, but I think you would have to use more powder with the WindJammer wad. I shoot a one-ounce STS load with 19.4 grains of Clays. The recipe actually calls for 19.7 grains.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I use the Spolar wad which is similar in design to a Windjammer. Fred

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Years ago I used to use Windjammer wads, but the flimsy fingers (petals) were a pain...kept trying to turn over and jam up the load before the shot dropped in. They require more powder as has been mentioned. Not my choice, but others like time. Now all I load is Downrange XL-1s bright yellow/green and XL-1 1/8 blue in Remington STS or Nitro hulls. Regards, Ed

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have used the DR WJ 1 1/8 oz wad and it works well in new and old style AA's. No problem with petals folding over.

Worst wads I have for that are a batch of WAA12's. Two more cases to go and I am done with them.

Don Verna

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Downranges Jammer XL-1 and 17gr. of Claydot in any Remington hull gives me great crimps out of my MEC9000

8. GGPOST

GGPOST Member

I've loaded the Windjammer brand WJI12118 (white) and Downrange Windjammer style DRWJRPL (orange wad) Claybuster Windjammer CB4118-12B (light blue wad) with Winchester AA or Remington STS hulls, Cheddite primers, 18.5 grains of Promo, 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot. This is with a MEC 9000. I use this at 20 yards and up because I find the shot pattern tighter with an 8 pedal wads vs. a 4 pedal wad at the same distance. I have an abundance of Federal hulls and do the same load with a 12S3 style 4 finger wad and love it at 16 yds. I think the pattern opens quicker with the 4 pedal wad. Having a fixed full choke, I've adjusted with loads a little. After some trial and error, I stick with 4 pedal at the 16-19 yards, and 8 pedal from 20 up. I have found that the 8 pedal wad creates a cleaner, more uniform pattern in my mind. Once someone makes an 8 pedal wad SPECIFIC for a straight wall hull, I'll be trying that. The only issue with 8 pedal wads is it is very easy to insert a pedal into the shot tube when reloading and not notice it. If you do that, you will fold down that pedal with the shot. Otherwise, it will not happen. I've loaded some new clear white Cheddite hulls and you can see the wad and the folded pedal when this is done.
    My spouse shoots a 1 oz load, 8 1/2 oz shot with a Federal hull, Downrange DRF0 wad, 16 grains of Promo, Cheddite primer, with an improved modified choke at 16 yds. It patterns very well on paper. She's new to the sport (last October), is a bit recoil sensitive and this lighter load helps. Once I put her into a BT 99 mid January, she's always in the 18-23 hit range and smokes the target most of the time. I have shot this load at 16 yards also and actually see no difference between the load I shoot at 16 yds and what she shoots. I just guess it's in my head when I have that extra 1/8 oz out there but in all actually, she's throwing a higher shot count. I have cut this back even more for our daughter who just started shooting this month. Same as my spouse but 16 grains of Green dot. Shoots fine.

9. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

Dverna, I totally agree with you about pedals folding over. Seems Like I have way less trouble with that now that I'm using DR. WJ-12-RPL's instead of WAA12's.

After the windjammers come out of the clothes dryer their pedals are open way farther than a WAA12.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

GG, there is an eight-petal wad made for straight-wall cases, the CB4100 "Lightning" wad. Although marketed as a 7/8 and one-ounce wad, I found the shot cup is the same depth as the 1-1/8 Windjammer's and asked Claybuster about using the 4100 in Federal hulls with 1-1/8 ounce of shot. The person who owned the company at the time (Bill-something) replied, telling me that his favorite load is the CB4100 in Gold Medal hulls with 1-1/8 ounce of shot.

Ed

11. GGPOST

GGPOST Member

Ed,

I'll need to try that.
    Thanks, Gary

12. leadvail

leadvail Member

I used a few case's. Price is right, but the petals being bent and having to hold them apart is a pain and putting them thru the dryer is a bigger pain. Life is too short the way it is.
    I did find in my limited pattern tests that they pattern slightly tighter than AA types. Bob

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I tried others when I first started shooting. I quickly went to 1 1/8 ounce load and went to Windjammers only. I use AA red hulls (the old style)Winchester primers and regular Clays powder. I only shoot one load. I like the way they patterned and never looked back. I do load some new style hulls and let them lay.Ray

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

YES Thousands and thousands of them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. Crow Valley

Crow Valley TS Member

I started using windjammer wads in the late 1980's. I did so because my buddy was using them and I could not believe how hard he was smoking targets. The 2 of us being very competitive, I decided to switch also and it seemed overnight I was hitting targets harder than I had ever before.
    I swear by windjammers and will use nothing else.

Randy

16. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

I have used nothing but Windjammers since sometime in the 80's. I tryed Claybuster winjammers and did not like them. I went to the Grand in 2006 and I met Kevin of downrange. I have been using the Downrange Windjammers ever since.

Rick

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

they have about four petals too many to work well in a progressive press. good luck with it

19. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

The windjammers work best in a press when the shot is dropped as the wad is seated, like the Dillon.I tryed them in a 366 and gave up, the pettels would get folded down into the shot, blowing large holes in the pattern.

20. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Has anyone done any patterning with the WJ's past the 23 yard line?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
20 gauge windjammer vs claybuster
what is a windjammer wad good for
what shoots farther windjammer or wt12
wind jammer wads
windjammer vs claybuster
windjammer wad

windjammer wads

windjammer wads and green dot