1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you use Rio primers? Read this...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The thread about the Trapshooting USA magazine caused me to check out issue #9 on line. On pages 61-62 there is an article by Tom Ceretto about primer swapping. In the article he writes about the yearly primer brisance tests the powder companies do and in speaking of the tests done this year by Alliant he wrote:<blockquote><I>"One of the reasons Quesenberry makes these primer checks is that some primer manufacturers make changes and do not inform powder companies (especially imports) or reloaders of the changes. When Federal changed from the 209 primer to the 209A primer it was a change from a mild primer to a hot primer and the 209A could not be used in the same recipes as the 209 (or higher pressures resulted). Rio went from a mild primer to a hot primer recently and the same problems developed."</i></blockquote>I have read that a number of posters here use Rio primers. I don't know how "recently" the change was made but the direction of the article causes me to think that it occurred since the last test . Alliant may have more details. This is what was written in the article.

MK

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Except that the change from the Federal 209 to the 209A was not "change from a mild primer to a hot primer." The 209 was "hot" in it's day and if you remember the three-or-four page handout which gave the new recipes you will recall that it was difficult or impossible to see any changes at all.

And Tom leaves the reader to wonder what he means by "the same problems developed." What problems, specifically, was he referring to, does anyone know? I don't recall any, at least in trap-appropriate loads.

Neil

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- Does it strike you as odd that a company making components for reloading would make a change in the strength of their component and not tell anyone? I fear many reloaders pay great attention the the powder they use but just cram in almost any wad or primer they have around.

Pat Ireland

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use this primer exclusively, and have found it similar to the 209A (Afterburner) Federal.

I do not push the envelope. 7/8 oz at 1350, one ounce at 1250 with Solo 1000, and 1 1/8 ounce at 1250 with Solo 1250. Nowhere near redline pressures with 209A primers. I generally use Riefenhauser type hulls, and prefer the Eurotrash hulls. Load'em once and toss'em.

I am into my third 50K, so any problems would likely have surfaced by now.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"MK- Does it strike you as odd..."</I></blockquote>Pat- Heck yeah, but DAMFINO!

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.