1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you trust or have faith in your gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

This can generate some poor taste posters, but is in the best interest in a shooter and his ability.

You have a Trap Gun and you shoot regularly, now when you are on the line ang getting ready to shoot, do you have trust or faith in your gun breaking the target, here is what I have found and I believe others have found out the same thing.

First thing is I know my gun fitting specs for me. When I get a new gun I have the LOP cut to my length of pull and cut at Zero Pitch, that is what I shoot best, I then move the Adj comb up and over so I can obtain my sight picture
    which is looking flat down the rib and the Center Bead is directly in line and fully in the center of the Front Bead.

Now when I shoot the gun I want to SMOKE the target, I normally set the Adjustable rib to it's highest shooting Point of Impact as that I shoot a high shooting Trapgun If it don't shoot 18-20"inches high I either make it shoot that high, or I sell or Trade it for another gun that does.

I recently owned 2 Blasers The first one was coming along fine thanx to Norbert at Blaser for his expertise in working with the Bbls and getting one to shoot 120% High. And the Blaser has THE BEST WEIGHT SYSTEM OF ANY FACTORY GUN BUILT. I wanted a Blaser so I swapped off 2 of my Trapguns to get it.
    that I shot Very well. But I really did not give it the time I should have,
    I had not gotten the faith in it I needed, so I traded it off for another gun.

And I got a Silver Seitz w/#2 adj rib and a Soft Touch Stock, after shooting it and it was already at my dimensions but did not shoot high enough, I called Richie at Silver Seitz and and asked if they had a Higher shooting rib and he said yes a #3 rib so we worked out the deal and I got that rib, now the gun shot exactly where I wanted it to shoot, and when I called for a target I knew iot was going to break, That is the Gun I shot in the Challenge at the Ohio State Shoot, and it did a fantastic job, but I stll had the desire for a Blaser.

I posted the Silver Seitz on here and it was gone in 20 minutes and traded for a Blaser w/a Stock Lock Stock and Pat Mccarthy Double Release Triggers, this gun came at almost my dimensions except the pitch, It had 1 1/2 inches of down pitch and the gun recoiled up into my face, so I corrected that and only enough was cut to get Zero Pitch. What I found is I did not like the Stock Lock Stock as it jumped on my shoulder, Pat said I needed to hold it tighter, I tried that and I just don't hold a gun that tight, and the release trigger was set at 120 oz set and 80 oz release which is to hard for mke to hold and too fast for me, I got i down toabout 70 oz set and 35 oz release, close but not close enough for me, I gave it a fair chance in my mind but was not winning buddy shoots like I used to so it has gone down the road.

I have gotten another Combo and it is having a set of Double Release triggers
    being installed at The Grand, I am presently awaiting it's arrival and will have the stock cut to my dimensions and will be giving it, it's test run Friday if it arrives in time.

What I am saying is YOU HAVE TO HAVE FAITH AND TRUST IN YOUR GUN.
    If not get rid of it and get another one that does instill that trust.

Will post results of the new gun after I get it nand shoot it.

I have owned probably more trap guns than any other shooter on this site or close to it, when at a shoot they ask what are you shooting this week.

They have noticed recently that I have not been winning the amount of buddy shoots that I usually do.HOPEFULLY THAT WILL CHANGE FRIDAY NIGHT.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've owned my 1100 since the 70's and it has never failed me. I have failed it but it has never failed me. I have complete faith in my 1100 for that matter all my shotguns. It's not the tool it's the craftsman and how he uses the tool.

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

So like I asked in a previous post you are not actually in Sparta you sent your gun to the Grand.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Are ya gonna give your faithful gun a pet name, too?

Keller

5. Dr.Longshot

Calkid and Unknown Triggers are in my gun now and it is on the way to me now, gun was taken to Sparta for the work. I am not in Sparta. No Name yet for this gun.

Saturday is my sons Birthday and BOSS HOG is cooking a hog for the party,this is a real BOSS HOG COOKING HOG ON A ROLLING HOG COOKER TRAILER.

Name is in the works.

The Silver Seitz served it's purpose well, Especially on the 30 yards.

The Silver Seitz now has a #4 adjustable rib the owner told me.

My instinct tells me this one will do it's job well, I have faith in it, I hope my faith is correct.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

but nothing replaces the hard work, effort and years of experience behind a gun. but then everyone is different.

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Short answer?

Hellya, it's a Ljutic

8. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

You've never heard the saying, "Beware the man with one gun." ? There's a reason he /she has only one gun.

My 'faithful' gun's name is "Grace".

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hope it smokes them and everything suits you to a T Gary....I've been so lucky and blessed that the Browning Plus guns I have are so consistant and trustworthy that I can buy one and set it up exactly as I have another identical gun that Im already shooting and the results are perfect...As for the fit for me..perfect and tunable if my body shape/size changes..the trust part is automatic..as a Browning..none of them have ever broke and I expect they never will in my remaining lifetime...and I know if I'm on my game any given day ..that success is highly probable

10. Dr.Longshot

CalvinMD that is trust in the very best scheme of things, thats great

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Gary (DLS)
    The day you lose faith in your gun is the day that gun should be offered for sale.

Having said that, I know a lot of good shooters that, IMO would be great shooters if they just stuck with one gun. Some people enjoy the buying and the trying out of different guns ( be it trap, skeet, sporting) more then they enjoy the shooting sport itself. I say good for them if that is what they enjoy have at it you have earned it. Others I have seen think the gun is going to pick up that extra 2,3 or 10 birds and put them on the podium.

With all due respect; The day a trap gun is invented that will break 100 straight without a competent shooter pulling the trigger is the day the game is over. Thankfully its not going to happen. Put your faith in you and your abilities not the gun. Remember, and I am sure it has been said on here before; "Its not the arrow-its the Indian." Enjoy!

Regards, Joe

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary! thank God I have a fairly low budget rig that really suits me as since getting hammered health wise in the past few years I cant afford champagne equipment on a Kool-Aid wallet ; ))...please pass along how your results are with your new gun...being knowledgeable like you are is half the battle as to narrowing what you need to get down to serious business! Crush'em buddy!

13. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Yes, or I would have sold it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.