1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you tip on carryout?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I got up at 4am this morning and started working on odd jobs around the house. Next thing I know it is 6pm and I haven't did a thing to celebrate Labor Day. Well anyway I decided to order a pizza from the "Papa John's" a couple of miles from the house. I ordered it online and opted to pick it up, since I would be out anyway fueling the truck. The order came up to $11.88 and I printed out the order.

I went into pick up the pizza and handed the guy the exact amount, he gave me the pizza and as I turned to walk out he said sarcastically "thanks for the tip".

Well anyway do you guys tip on carryout. I never have, haven't even thought about it till now.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

NO, anymore than you would tip the person at the counter or takeout window at McDonalds.

Eric

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Good point Eric.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The guy was a douchebag, and was likely unhappy about working on Labor Day. You don't tip for take-out unless you feel like it due to exceptional service (like an expedited order or accommodaiting an unusual request). For the guy to expect it and comment like he did to you is completely out of line and warrants a phone call to the manager.

Since we're on the topic, I always thought it was incredibly ballsy for the jokers at Starbuck to charge $5 for a cup of coffee nd then have the audacity to put out a tip jar. They need to pay the "barrista" out of their 95% gross margin.

-Gary

5. browntown

browntown TS Member

yes I do, because I'm a sucker and when there's a tip line on the charge slip I feel obligated. For corporate expenses I'm supposed to only tip 10% on pickup but I'm not sure if that sends a signal to the server (who I do repeat business with) that I'm unhappy since I tip 20% when I dine in.

Hell, I tip the guy at the carwash, the furniture movers, and once even the cable guy. I distinctly remember working for tips in college and how nice it was when I got an unexpected gratuity.

That being said, if some teenager said "thanks for the tip", I might not be as nice. Had a blackjack dealer say that to me once when I went up to a single deck table, played a 500$ chip, lost, and walked away.

I tip the coffee girl $1 everyday. Like I said, I'm a sucker.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would have said, "you earned it".

HM

7. radeck

radeck Member

I tip "To Insure Prompt Service". If I have to stand in a line for standard service, then I don't believe a TIP is warranted. When I buy a donut from one of my favorite locally owned family shops and the owner passes me the change over their "tips appreciated jar” I smile and say "thank you very much".

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For take out? No.

For lattes or coffee? I don't drink either, so it's a moot point.

For delivery? Yes.

For buffets? Generally not, but there have been exceptions. Some buffets have full service staff for drinks, etc.

If I opt to eat in at a full service restaurant, I tip generously (20%) if the service and food are good. If they're not, I'm speaking to the manager.

My company 'suggests' a 15% tip. I've always tipped 20% if warranted. No one has ever questioned it.

For carwashes? For the guy who wipes down my windows and resets my mirrors, a dollar tip, which is fair for a $5 machine wash.

9. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Hell no.

10. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I am with Brownie I tip everybody even self parking where the guys telling me where to park but........... not on take -out and I am not sure why??

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

To the kid at Papa John's - here's your tip:

"Don't cook bacon naked"

'nuf said!

Curt

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I always wondered about a local buffet restaurants. You stand in line and pay before you go in. Then you seat yourself. The girl comes up, looks at your tickets and says "help yourself". You get your own plates, silverware and napkins. You walk over to the drink area and get your own drinks. The girl comes later and askes how did you like it. Then a bus boy comes and clears your plates. Of course there is a sign on the salt and pepper rack that says "don't forget to tip the wait staff". I don't get it, I am the wait staff.

In a nicer restaurant where I sit and they actually serve me, I have no problems tipping.

13. lboh

lboh Member

not carry out, but tip related.

I fly quite a bit and the Charlotte, NC Airport added attendants to all their restrooms with big tip jars right beside the exits. There are a few that rush to hand you a paper towel before you get it yourself, I guess in an attempt to make you feel obligated and then lurk around as you dry your hands and walk past their tip jar.

This really chaps my azz for some reason and no, I don't go into my pocket as I leave and pass the tip jar.

14. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I guess I need to get out more. What the H could an attendant help you with in a restroom?

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The local pizza joint that I freguent must have a special thing that pops up when I want a pie delivered to the house. They are always prompt and very curteous. Therefore I generally tip them $5 and they are happy.

I delivered pizza's years ago for extra spending money and it didn't take long to figure out the good ones.

ss

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If they delivered it yes, ifs its carry out Hell No ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I use to deliver pizza's. If the person comes in and picks up their order its a NO. If its delivered its a YES.

If someone did that to me at the counter I would have turned around and said you want a tip? OK I would start to dig around my pocket and then pull my hand out and look at it. Then say "don't stand up in a canoe" then leave.

18. dhip

dhip Active Member

Usually,on take out,I tell them to keep the coin money if thre's change,(only wears holes in my pockets anyway)only take the bills.

Doug H.

19. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

NO & I would have let the owner or Mgr know about his attitude. My next step would be an internet review. I always review restaurants good & bad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.