1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think there are Winchester Model 12's....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BLKLABS, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

Do you think there are still Winchester Model 12's somewhere that are new in the box? Why dont they put the Model 12 back in production even from the custom shop? I'm sure they would sell enough to cover costs. Every trap shooter should own at least one.

2. spritc

spritc Active Member

I saw a couple last night on http://www.gunbroker.com. but they weren't cheap.

If this link doesn't work try the one above and then do a search for model 12.

3. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

I was just looking around at Gunbroker but didnt see any. Maybe I should look harder. Thanks

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I bought a nib Trap "Y" model 12 in 73 or 74 (think it was the 1st year) and the cost was $425.00 I remember well. That BTW was alot of money. Maybe by the late 70's they went for $1000 but I doubt it. Not trying to be rude sarge but that's the price I remember.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

No one will ever build a New Winchester Model-12 . Lots of reasons Price being just one . A New Pre-64 Model-12 would need to cost Eight Grand or more . If you think about it the magic was in the time and not the gun . If you talk to an older shooter about the Model-12,s watch his eyes . He will go back to the time when he shot a New Pre-64 Model-12 and broke them all and that is the Magic . The Model-12 is just one of the best guns every made but the memory,s made with a Model-12 are way better then the gun will ever be .

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Last one I saw was a late Y model nib trap that Guns Unlimited had for sale.

This was 20 yrs. or more . The only thing wrong was it wouldnt go together. How it got buy inspection I dont know.

If I recall it was priced at about 1000. Ill bet a dozen guys tried their luck to get it together but no go. The finish was more black than blue and overall rough in my opinion.

I agree with Hoosier Daddy. Find a nice older one and get it restored.

Regards...... Gerald

7. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I'll agree with everybody else. Buy a M-12 in good shape and send it off to Wright's for resto. Better than new.

8. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the model 12 is like the dc 3 airplane, we remember it better than it was.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Don't tell anyone...but...many of us still shoot mod 12s!

They handle beautifully, if you notice...all the "high dollar" guns have the same silhouette because the original designers of the Mod 12 got it right the 1st time!

If no one has messed with the choke, hard to find a better pattern all the way to the back fence!

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I believe one of PA's finest shooters just broke 100 straight at the Grand from the fence with -you guessed it-a Model 12!!

11. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

All I've got is a field M12 but I've shot trap with it and the swing in that gun is hard to beat! Memories or not, they are one heck of a gun!

Steve

12. striper

striper Member

I wish I would have started my trap shooting with my mod 12s I would not be gun poor. I had to try a couple O/Us which I still own and shoot but when it comes to the matches out come the pigeon grade mod 12 trap and I Im in love. Points great no recoil problem wish I would have kept those I had in my collection 40 years ago.Best gun for the money ever made!! JMHO

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Not for sale. Jeff

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I know where they're three of those!!

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Dawg , Are they N I B ? if so are they for sale ? Jeff

16. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Plenty of model 12's around. The old farts that are hoarding them are dying off every day. The Model 12's popularity comes and goes, as does the value. Sometimes you can't find one, sometimes there are many to choose from. Just keep looking, and you'll find one new in box. Best place to find a decent price on one is at a small town gun auction. I am not a fan of getting kicked by a mule, so I sold off my 12's years ago.

17. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i had a ivory hydro coil last year less than 1 box of shells shot thru it, stu wright sold it for me. supposedly one of the ivory hydro coils sold at rock island auction for a pretty good some of cash. felix bedlan has a ivory trap & skeet new in box. cabelas in kansas city has a new in box 3 pin trap gun i believe it is priced at 4400 bucks. a little high i think dwain

18. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

I just found a pre-64 pigeon grade trap thats new in the box. They want more than I'm willing to spend though. Heres the link http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=106601736

19. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

When some of you talk about Wright's doing a refurbish, what exactly do they do or what did you have done and approximately what is the cost?

20. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

www.wrightsgunsmiths.com. or 618-357-8933 they can do about anything dwain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.