1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you stack the beads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I don't use the beads... they're both flat black.

I trust the fit of my gun.

Keller

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I see the beads only to confirm the gun is straight with my eye, the distance between the beads just to reference comb of the stock. On my pigeon guns, I see 1/2" between the beads. On my trap guns, there're 1/4" between, on my Bunker & skeet guns, they stack together.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I set my comb for the shot pattern and then set the rib so the beads are in a row. I only check them when I mount my gun and then look at the target only.

5. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

What's a bead?
    Seriously though, I do not stack the beads. I rarely see them but from my view, there is about an inch to an inch and a quarter between them.

6. jayco32

jayco32 TS Member

I add spacers to the comb until the gun is shooting where i am looking. I don't care if the beads are stacked or not. If I look at the beads to make sure they are lined up when I mount the gun, my eyes will sometimes come back to the bead when I am swinging and I hear the dreaded lost. If I only focus over the trap when I shoulder the gun that never happens. You still know where the bead is, you just don't focus on it. Focus on the target only.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It has been so long since I LOOKED at them, I am not sure they are still there.

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Dont let these guys fool you. "what beads",,,,"I never check..."
    Truth is the best shooter still checks his beads. They just dont admit it. I was talking with a known shooter and he said " I never bead check" then a few minutes later he said, "holy crap went to pull up on a target and noticed my bead was gone, not sure how many targets I shot b4 i noticed" FACT is he noticed! That just proves we all bead check at some point. The more experienced shooters just dont check to often as us newbies.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If the gun fits you the second bead is not needed.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Everyone needs a reference of barrel placement.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I use them as a starting point, but after my desired POI is found they are inconsequential...I set for smoke from 27 and then learn how much I need to float the bird from 16s...I'm a one-eyed shoot off the end of the barrel type shooter

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

No

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

I know what I'm about to say is heresy to trapshooters. But I'm willing to be stoned for my beliefs.

Try shooting some other clay target sports, and shoot them "gun low".

That is, shoot skeet or sporting clays. Call for the bird with the gun NOT MOUNTED.

In fact, at skeet, I call for the bird before I've closed the action on my over/under. And yes, I do it on station 8. And in fact, I sometimes shoot station 8 halfway between the shooting pad and the skeet house (for entertainment purposes only), calling for the bird with the action open. Am I shooting all 25's like this? Nope. But I'd put money on shooting a 23! And I CAN hit the station 8 "halfway" targets doing this.

The point is that there is absolutely NO TIME whatsoever to look at a bead, look for a bead, or think about a bead with this style of shooting. And you can break targets consistently without a bead even mounted on your shotgun.

I do quite a lot of duck hunting as well. And there is NEVER sufficient time to think about beads when shooting ducks - at least not where I hunt! And the ducks never fly overhead when I yell "PULL!" from my boat either. That's annoying....

Shoot the way you want. If it makes you feel more comfortable to line up the beads in a "figure 8" before calling for the target, do it. If it messes with your mind to study the beads, don't do it. The main thing is to mount the shotgun properly and firmly, keep your eyes over the barrel, keep your head down, firmly mounted on the stock, and SEE THE TARGET!!! Swing your eyes and upper body relative to the target. The gun will do what it's supposed to do if you do all of that stuff.

Having said all of that, I do "dial back" my freestyle shooting form while trapshooting, mainly because it screws up the timing of the other shooters. But personally, I don't find that being more regimented in my shooting improves my scores. In fact, it's the opposite. The more time I have to think about all of this shooting voodoo, the more likely I am to drop a target.

Awaiting the stoning...
    jh

14. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

No, I don't have center beads.

I shoot FITASC with a very low gun start. A score of 90x100 often wins.

I shoot sportng clays with (mostly) a slghtly low gun. A score of 95x100 often wins.

I shoot trap with a completely mounted gun with a firm cheek weld. A score of 99x100 occasionally wins.

I don't shoot skeet. What does a score of 23x25 or 92x100 win?

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not since I started shooting targets out West. You all throw'em a lot higher out here.

16. Smiley

Smiley Member

Having read this thread through I would ask when do you pull the trigger?If you don't see the bead then what reference point do you use to aline the barrels so that you have the shot hitting the clay.
    I personally believe that we all see the bead but use our periferal vision as our primary focus is on the target
    Paul

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I stack them on every shot and check alignment on every shot, before I lift my eye focus and call for the bird. Just my way, and works for me. I did find out using a ShotKam I do a little dip of the barrel as I start my swing. Maybe a 1/2-1". I never knew I did that. Now the guys I shoot with call it the "Jim Dip."

18. alf174

alf174 Member

A skeet score of less than 25x25 or 100x100 gets you nothing.

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

My gun fits me, so I really wonder if both beads are really needed? I have always heard that we are suppose to point a shotgun and not aim, so I will try shooting without any beads and see what happens. Personally, I believe my scores may possibly rise without them on my barrel.
    Steve Balistreri

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

No. If you stack the beads the adjustment is so small that it's likely being accomplished by mashing/non-mashing your cheek on the stock. How long do you think you can hold that precise a mount when you're chasing a target? I use the beads to check my mount. Stacking them is wasted time.

Bob Falfa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do you stack nova beads

where do beads need to be for skeet