1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you shoot warm-up rounds the day of a shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by r2d1robert, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r2d1robert

r2d1robert TS Member

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding shooting a round or two of practice prior to the start of a competition (if that's allowed by the organizers). Any thoughts?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I usually shoot a round of singles just before I go out, a round of handicap before the event, and a round of doubles before that event. I find that it not only helps me get in the groove, but, it also relaxes me to the point that I'm ready to go when it's my turn to compete.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

No, but my first trap in competition is usually my worst, so I probably should.

4. The Stive

The Stive Member

No John

5. In Clay We Crush

In Clay We Crush TS Member

I think as long as it doesn't get in your head. If that practice is a poor one. Then it should be fine.

Good or bad warm ups always seemed too relax me. And remind me it's all about fun . When shooting becomes a job. And everyone and or thing around you is the reason you are missing targets.

Then it's time to find something else. I got away from competitive shooting. Because the grumpy not as good as they think they are . Shooters seemed too out number the really good people. And there are some truly good folks.

Shoot well....

6. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I might now that I have one new knee and think I can tolerate it...

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

No

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. chemist

chemist Member

Most sports allow a warm up event. Our club does not usually have the trap field open for this. At the NJ state shoot last year I was able to shoot a wam up and it took off the first shot jitter as i like to shoot in an early squad. Even 5 shots would help. Maybe the top guns are ok without warm ups.

10. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I miss the old days when you could fire a shot over the house prior to the start of a registered shoot. That was the late 70's, and maybe the early 80's when you could do that. I would pick a broken clay on the ground, keep my eyes open before, during, and after the shot. Literally watch the piece get ripped to shreds. Then... I was READY!!!

11. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

NO! When I get to the shoot I'm in the game, hyper and excited to smash clays. One bird at a time!

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

David Kelly said in a interview, always shoot a practice before an event so I follow his advice. Just about every pro sport or event has practice before game time. Why wouldn't you do the same for clay target events....................

Surfer

13. Scootermac50

Scootermac50 Active Member

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yes, whenever possible. Regards, Ed

15. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I liked it when I started, but I hate that often (VERY) the practice trap is not set the same as the competition traps. That really screws up the beginning shooters and I think a rule should require the same setting. It doesn't really effect me much now if I shoot before or not and at the cost of shells and poor prizes; why waste money! AJ

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Go to the practice trap, that's where you'll see the best shooters. "The harder I work, the luckier I get"...

best....mike

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Trapshooting is nothing like sex, therefore you do not need to warm up ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

sometimes

19. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

20. us820

us820 Active Member

Never.I would rather have the mental energy saved for my event over the warm up targets.Tournaments are just what you shoot to show how hard you worked on the off weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.