1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you shoot sporting clays for fun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tripod, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Browning 32" 425 sporting. Which I should have kept by the way.

2. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

I'm hooked on sporting. You answered your own question- a 'sporting' gun. Now, how much can you afford? A Beretta 391 sporting or 682 gold E are probably first on the list of "can't go wrong". Choose a gun that will last thousands of rounds cause yer gonna have fun.

3. andybull

andybull Active Member

I shoot a 32" K80 Cowboy Gun. In all honesty after shooting registered Sporting Clays and Fitasc for well over 15 years, I purchased a Ljutic One Touch. I went to a Trap field to shoot it, all the while I kept looking at the five stand field next door wanting to go there and shoot at those targets instead.

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Have not done it yet but the 5 Stand and Sporting Clays Vintage shoots have caught my attention. What a great reason to get my Dad's Parker and LC Smiths out of deep storage.

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot sporting on two occasions, was not happy with my scores (68/72) but had a great time and will no doubt do it more in the future ... It was a very relaxed and more like a social event with guns ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I shoot it about once or twice a month, 5-stand and skeet also about once a month. I'm always up for a humbeling experience. I don't have an off season for trap most of my trap is shot during fall, winter, late winter into the spring. Summer is smallmouth time for me. I mostly shoot trap for the convenience, someone is always shooting somewhere everyday of the week.

I run across very, very few trap guys who shoot SC or Skeet. Why????????????????, because of the humbeling experience I think. If you hunt, sc and skeet will help you. Alot more of a social game and outing and most guys there will tuck a new shooter under his wing with hopes that he learned something and will come back. At least this is what I've seen. Overall a better experience for a new shooter vs. showing up to the trap range for a first time.

I have alot of room for improvement, much to work on. I should try to shoot it more regular. Alot more angles, more to aquire, different set up evertime out.

Browning Citori Sporting 12ga., Beretta AL 391 Sporting Optima 12 ga.

Want to shoot some 20 ga. sporting/skeet and I'm eyeing up a 20 ga. Citori. I'm hoping the new 725 Sporting will put the 625's on sale and clearance to pick one up at a good price.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It sounds like you were in my part of North Carolina. The Beretta 391 is one of the most popular sporting clays gun and the fact that it's
    one of least expensive isn't the reason.
    If you choose an over/under, there's no single favorite.
    Kreighoff,Kolar,Perazzi,Browning,Beretta,Blaser-you'll
    see them all.

8. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

A little advice. (some will disagree) Buy the best quality gun you can afford and then spend the rest of your money on shells!! If you are going to buy a gun and keep if forever it really doesn't matter what you buy. However, if you are a buy/sell type of guy like me, find a good deal and stick with late model Perazzis and the K-80. These two guns are by far the most sound investment. Look at it like having your money in a separate bank account. I have bought and sold a semi load of Perazzis and K-80s...you just can't go wrong if you know what you are buying. I finance my shooting by buying and selling sporting clays guns. I can't decide which is more fun, shooting these guns or buying and selling them.

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I don't shoot it for the fame and fortune :)

It's a lot of fun and much more challenging.

My website has a lot of sporting clays pictures and reviews.

http://www.ysr-racer.com/
    397416255.jpg

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I shoot sporting in my off season. I shoot trap in my off season as well. I enjoy both. Same gun, different chokes.

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Dixie, I shoot sporting clays and really enjoy it. I shoot it with my doubles gun, a 32" MX8 which shoots 60/40. It came fixed choke so I had Briley install thinwall chokes in it. Now it's perfect for both, IMO.

Depending upon what you now shoot and it's POI and choke, there might be no reason to buy a sporting clays labeled gun. Of course, if you're trying to justify the expense of a new shotgun to your wife then, by all means, use this "need" as an excuse. It's worth a try- what do you have to lose? LOL.

12. cafowler

cafowler Member

Hey Galang Pham, when'd you start hanging out at Trapshooter.com, the "dark side", or wait, is SC the "dark side"? I'm so confused.

I started shooting Sporting and discoverd trap/skeet just in the last couple years. I enjoy all the shotgun games, but I'll always be a Sporting shooter first.

13. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I do shoot both Sporting Clays and Skeet for fun. Trap has become like work. I hope I don't get that way about Sporting Clays or Skeet...

bluedsteel

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shoot trap as my primary shooting game just because there are more places to shoot it around my area. We have to drive 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours to get to a decent, competitive, sporting course.

There is a huge difference between a local, soft, course and a tough NSCA course.

If you can break most of the targets with a Skeet/IC choke, you've not shot a competitive sporting course.

15. 3357

3357 Member

I shoot 5 stand in the winter because of snow. 30" 682 with adj comb.

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shoot trap because there are two clubs within 20 miles but, I had a sporting clays 16 station field about 45 miles away. I frequented it every other week until it shut down because of economics. It's great fun and it wouldn't take much to swithch from trap to s. c.

17. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Yes. I am a far better sporting clays and skeet shooter than I am a trapshooter. Sporting clays, for me, is much more fun due to the variety of targets and terrain at the various clubs but I much prefer registered trap over registered sporting clays for competition.

18. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I shoot Sporting all year long. I mix it with Trap. Skeet too. I love the shooting Sports. All a challenge for me. I would call Trap primary though. Dave T.

19. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

You can never go wrong with a 390 sporting model on the sporting course or the skeet field.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I like sporting clays a lot more than trap. Unfortunately, sporting clays is also much more expensive than trap, so I shoot more trap than sporting clays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

galang pham shotgun

galang pham sporting clays

sask sporting clays shoots mossbank