1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you shoot over birds often?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I recently changed where I place my hand on the forearm. What I found was if I place my hand at the end of the forearm it tends to help me from jumping over the target. Alls I can figure is by changing the 'axis' my arm was providing for lifting the gun it slowed the movement enough to help keep me under the target. Jim

2. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Jim, I guess changing your forehand position is one way of skinning the cat.I used to 'inkball' 90 targets out of 100, shoot the lids off 5, and miss 5 over the top. By lowering the comb of my gun I now get solid but low hits on 90, 'inkball' 5, and shoot the lid off 5...I sacrificed quality of hits for an increased number of hits. The alternative was to concentrate more, look harder at the target and make a conscious effort to stay under the bird...all completely unacceptable solutions LOL. I guess that's what separates the likes of me from the very good shots...they put more in, so get more out. Cheers-Graham.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

frank hoppe in trap & field , wrote an article--" it aint always how it looks"-- i do think he's right!!! muzzle control is lost by , calling for the target and then not focusing on it ( it'll seem faster so you jump the barrel to catch up) and or raising your head , even just alil as you go to the target, will make your barrel "flip" up!!!

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It has and always will be my hardest target.. station 3 straightaway..

5. maka

maka Member

Food for thought? Many shoot high shooting guns, ie 70/30, 80/20, 100%. My question is, are the traps set at the 9ft. height and conditions such as wind direction change and target flight changes? In addition, are to many just accepting the existing hieght. All good.

6. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

xringjim,
    When I put my hand closer to the barrel, I shoot better also, especially on post 1 and 5. It gives me better control.
    Travis

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well from what I can tell the hand on the forend shouldn't be controling the gun at all. Your swing should be coming from your platform feet, knees and hips not from your arms. Your control should be from your trigger hand.

Try putting your total focus on the leading edge of the target. To quote Mel Gibson in The Patriot "Think Small Miss Small"

Bob Lawless

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

maka, you are right. Around here high birds have become normal. Protractors and radar guns, instead of T bars and 50 yard stakes.

9. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Bob, I think the quote is "Aim small, miss small".

Shoot safe, John

10. ivanhoe

dog easy, you could be right but I believe the point was made. If your gun fit you properly, the smaller the spot you focus on the more accurate the shot you will make.

Bob Lawless

11. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Bob,

That sounds right to me, but since I am the worst trap shooter in the history of Texas, I'm in no position to have a position.

I know the quote only because I saw the movie yesterday.

Shoot safe, John

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ivanhoe (AKA) Bob, Hit The Nail On The Head. You never use your front arm to move the shotgun up or down, or even Left or Right. This needs to be done from Below your Belly Button, because everthing above the ole Belly Button better not move while your a shooten. This is real easy to do on them ole Stait-aways. You move that shotgun with your front arm you just moved your eye over the barrel, maybe not every time, but way to often!!! Missed is what you'll hear nest. Break-em all. Jeff

13. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

Ivanhoe,
    You are right. It's just that moving my hand closer to the barrel gives better stability, and doesn't make the gun so "whippy."
    Travis

14. ivanhoe

kansasshooter When your gun becomes whippy it is because are not starting your gun with your platform. You have started your swing with your arms.

You have to remember you are going to catch a target traveling at just over 40 MPH I believe it is 42 MPH to be more precise. You are shooting a projecta that is travelling a lot faster(usually 1145-1200 FPS)all you need to do is get the gun and the target together in your vision it isn't a point of panic. The target can't out run your shot.

You exert a lot of force to get the gun moving because something has made you feel you are late. When this force is exerted you go right to the target to quickly and it takes on the appearence of a whippy move to the target. You need to make your initial move more smoothly(swing from you platform or as Jeff say below your Belly Button)and the whippy feeling will go away.

The problems with these thing is you need to work on them one at a time until they become almost second nature. Then move on to the next thing that needs work.

Trust me when I say it is easier said than done and it takes more work on somethings than it does on other things.

Bob Lawless

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

With your upper body rigid and all movement restricted to below the waist, as it should be when shooting, the position of the forward hand on the gun does not change the amount of gun movement as the lower body rotates.

But, extending the forward hand does decrease the weight of the gun that is supported by the forward hand. The reduction in supported weight may provide a benefit for some.

Pat Ireland

16. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

To get back to thread topic, No, just when I pick up my head. Stay in the gun and it's dust.

bob

17. ABH

ABH Member

I shoot over birds.

I shoot under birds.

Sometimes I think I shoot around birds.

ART H.

18. andybull

andybull Active Member

I corrected the problem by shooting a release.

19. RJ

RJ TS Member

Sometimes I believe I shoot through the bird, or it was wearing a flack jacket. I hit one the other day and dust flew everywhere and it didn't even change it's trajectory either. One of my favs. a slight right angled straight away. I was shooting #8's as I do for 16's with 17 grains of Red Dot. Through a Remington Tornament Skeet 1100 26" Barrel With an Extended Improved Modified Choke Tube. I love shooting this gun it usually smokes em. Bird must have been made with something harder than clay. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.