1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you shoot caps w/out your buddies ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hwy13, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello,,

I was listening to a shooter saying he misses so many targets from the 27
    yd. line , that he only shoots with his friends.

He doesn't want to accept a reduction, and his friends don't care what score he shoots.

This fellow said he is not going to squad with people he doesn't know & miss
    targets ahead of the shooter on his right.

This shooter feels he could disrupt the squad with a low score or with a poor round of shooting.

It got me wondering ? Do shooters shy away from caps unless they are with their usual squad ? Does " lost " ahead of you affect your shooting ?
    I would think being very slow to call for the bird, would disrupt more
    than a missed bird ??

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If you are thinking out on the line, you might as well be drinking. What the other shooters do, should not matter. It is difficult to do. The only thing that bothers me when the shooter misses before me is the fact that the bird is still flying out in my vision when I mount the gun. The more often it happens the more you notice it.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, I don't HAVE any buddies. So when I go to a shoot I just usually tell the squadder to put me anywhere you need somebody and I shoot with whoever they put me with, and I've met some mighty fine people that way and a few assholes.

It doesn't distract me at all if the others on the squad are missing targets, what DOES distract me is squadmates that constantly break the shooting rythym, squad leaders that start shooting after the post change before the whole squad is ready and people that can't seem to mount their guns "just right" so they go thru' the whole mounting process two or three times everytime they shoot and people who make wimpy little "peep" calls and then can't understand why the voice calls don't work and...........oh, you get the idea? Thank's for listening to me vent, I feel better already!

John C. Saubak

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Some of my friends shoot short yardage, some shoot long, I'm middle.

I usually shot with folks I don't know.

No big deal.

We're all trap shooters.

5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I think all major shoots should be random squadding. No more good old boy clubs. let the "pros" mingle with the less talented, this would have tendency to help elevate the less talented scores.

6. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Old Cowboy, Very well put, What you said, I agree with you 100 % would like to have you on my squad..

Trap-4

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You're on the field for what, an hour or so? You still have the other 23/day to hang out with your buddies. Shooting a good score, and being competitive far outweighs my desire to shoot with my friends.

8. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I don't want to shoot with my friends at all. Stick me out there with 4 good shooters I don't know and my focus just went way up. I've shot with relatives, friends and squads of complete strangers - my scores are always better with the latter. If I'm going to break 'em all, that's where it's going to happen.

Rich

9. Shawn

Shawn Member

It is always more fun to shoot with friends.
    I have shot on many squads where I didn't know all or any of my squad mates and I still had a nice time.

10. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the person in the original thread could take a 2 yard reduction but still shoot with his buddies. Can't we shoot with anyone so long as they have no more than a 2 yard difference for safety reasons?

I've read this argument from several people on other threads, and it doesn't make sense. Take a 2 yard reduction and still shoot with them. I think for most people it's an issue of pride.

11. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I like to shoot 16 with people I know, I think it is more a social event Handi caps my Friend are short or mid I am long so I shoot with other people and enjoy that most the time.

12. open choke

open choke TS Member

Well for safety reasons if they are in a different yardage I guess I don't have much a choice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.