1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you shoot at clubs that do not have pat traps?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Do any of you still shoot tournaments at clubs that do not have Pat traps? The reason I ask is that most shooters I know say that if a trap boy or girl is pulling that will result in lower scores compared to automatic machines?

I belong to a small club and the pullers are pretty good. Do you believe scores will be lower if shot at non Pat trap gun clubs?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I shoot at clubs regularly they have hand set as well as clubs that use voice release. Not really a difference in my opinion. If the puller is good, I see no difference. A puller can have an early or late call just as easy as a voice release trap will require more than one call or need to mic moved, etc.

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Yup...in the last few years I've shot registered targets over GMV Superstars and Outer's traps....

Ron Burr

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Steve.... We shoot over Super Stars quite a bit here. In fact, our club has 4 of them. A lot of shooters say they can not tell any difference between a Super Star and a Pat, but, I'm here to tell you that the Super Star throws better targets, especially doubles targets. The release in the Super Star is equivalent to the old Winchester handsets. Both have mechanical triggers for firing, whereas the Pat Trap uses electronic triggers, and are a little slower. How much slower, you might ask? Shoot over a Pat trap and then immediately go shoot over a Super Star and you will have your answer. Even with the "instant" release set up in the voice boxes, the Pat trap is slower. Both are great traps, we just prefer the Super Stars. If you have a good puller and setter, you really wouldn't notice any difference between the handset and the Super Star, and the scores would be pretty much the same off either one. You would, however, notice a big difference if you did the same thing with a Pat.... Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Dan, why is faster better? You wouldn't be moving your gun before you see the target would you? :>)

jim brown

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jim...Jim...Jim... You KNOW that never happens...lol. I just prefer to have the target set into the air as soon as I call for the target rather than have a small delay in releasing after the call. I want it NOW!, no delay. If, and that's a big "if", you shot only off Pat traps, one could very easily become accustomed to the delay and not have a problem with it. That being said, we don't live in a perfect world, so we get the target when we get the target, regardless of what trap we are shooting over. Like I said, both traps are great units and I enjoy shooting over both. However, I ALWAYS check the traps I'm shooting over at a registered event so I can adjust accordingly. As long as I know what trap is in the house I know what to expect. I, personally, would just rather shoot Super Stars, especially when it comes to doubles targets...know what I mean.... Dan

8. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

It appears the question really isn't shooting over Pat traps vs. other brand of machines, but shooting on fields with phono pulls vs. manual button release. As already mentioned there are better pullers than others. When shooting on fields with manual pulls it is in the shooters best interest to show appreciation for the puller and always be gentle with critique and generous with praise as every puller has a learning curve. If you find an obstinate puller, address your concerns only with appropriate club management. Personally, I don't have a preference shooting on fields with phono pulls or manual. Lyle

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

If you have shot any events at the PA State Home grounds, (Elysburg) in recant years, you've shot over Super Stars. There's 12 banks (48) of 'em + practice traps. They are wearing out and will be replaced with PAT traps, hopefully, in the next two years. Switching over to shoot doubles is not as easy as PAT, but they throw good targets. It's really a moot point though, because the company is out of business, and PAT Trap is the only game in town, if you're talking a lot of new machines. In this case ~ $350,000 worth.

11. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

The shoots at Missouri Trap Association, (Linn Creek,) are thrown by the scorer/puller and I have never had a problem. Martinpicker

12. senior smoke

Any one know what type of machine the Grand American uses? I have not shot registered in 6 or 7 years. Here in Wisconsin, I don't think I have shot other than Pat traps.

The club I shoot at on Sundays has Remington manual release machines to my knowledge. Any one know how the Winchester machines were compared to the Remington machines?
    Steve

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Sparta has G series Pat's, bought when they were in Vandalia.

14. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Our club has Beomat Traps GMV Super Stars and a Pat Trap. We also have trap pullers and voice release. If you want a variety that works, contact me. LOL

Chuck

15. senior smoke

Years ago before automatic traps at a state shoot, a well known squad of shooters who had been on their state trap teams were caught taking the club's best female puller down the line with them so she could pull all events for them.

It was not long before they were caught. How many times shooters had good scores going and you ran into a puller that would mess up the entire squad but good.

Those were the days, when you needed a bit of luck to run a straight, nice targets, and good pullers.
    Steve

16. jim brown

Actually Roger, I think you will find that the only motor in a PAT runs all the time unless they have recently changed. That makes motor surge fire a little difficult.

jim brown

17. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Roger...and I guess that's why about 75% of clubs use Pat Traps....Right?

The only big club that I can think of that uses GMV's is the Pa. home grounds...

18. jim brown

Actually Roger the motor does not surge. A small burst of pressure from the hydraulics pushes the arm past center firing the machine. This can be adjusted by a competent mechanic.

Nebraska just sold all of it's Super Stars (nearly new) and replaced them with PATs due to shooter demand. You may be right but you are definitely in the minority. BTW I don't have a dog in this fight, I have never missed a target because of the brand of machine in the house.

jim brown

19. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Well Roger...I hate to be the one to tell you....but in this case popularity and quality do run hand in hand when your talking Pat Trap.

It's just the first choice for clubs when buying new automatic target throwers.

I really don't think these clubs buy Pat Trap knowing it isn't any good.

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't believe that the PSSA had a preference for one machine over another when they were buying their automatic traps but their choices were severely limited through no fault of their own.

They invited all of us delegates from gun clubs to Elysburg one Saturday in September for a shooting and meeting session. They removed their handset machines from four trap houses with the expectation that they would have several brands of automatic traps in those houses for us to shoot over. Every maker of that type of trap was invited but only GMV accepted, so we shot over four GMV ATMs and when the vote was taken that afternoon, there was only one horse in the race.

That said, the GMVs gave decent service and until recently, I didn't hear a lot of complaining about them. At the 2000 or 2001 state shoot, Harlan Campbell Jr. told me that Elysburg's doubles were the best he ever shot.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beomat traps vs pat trap
matarelli shooting

trap machine mattarelli