1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you rest your muzzle on your shoe?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ysr_racer, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Well, you probably shouldn't.

I've got more pic's, but they're pretty graphic.

(p.s. it's not me)
    [​IMG]

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

This happened twice in two years at the Illinois State Shoot. Junior self thought "hot dogs" with mush for brains. Your question should have been "do you rest you loaded and cocked shotgun muzzle on your shoe." Bet that picture is a shoe containing a sub jr. or jr.

3. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Yes all the time , as I wait my turn to shoot with a unloaded gun. I have also been known to change choke tubes with my fingers on occasions with an unloaded gun. My Moma always says "stupid is as stupid does".

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Ouch! and NO!

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

...anyone who rests their loaded (action closed) gun on their foot is a full blown moron, it's as simple as that. Now that this subject has been brought up, it won't die for 2 or 3 weeks because you'll have those who think that resting your gun on your foot with the action open is horribly dangerous versus those who say it's perfectly safe. I, for one, rest my BT on my foot with the action open and KNOW it's perfectly safe. But you'll still have people that say it's dangerous because "that shell could go off at any time!!!" My 2 cents. Josh

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

He's a "hoppin down the bunny trail" for a whaile now. I thought my gout was bad.

7. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

I worked at the grand years ago as trap machine mechanic , one morning the sctp was shooting and we had a few trap houses that had all orange targets in them , we were waiting for the replacement targets to put back in the house , i noticed this young man shooting an 1100 , he would shoot his target and rest the gun on his foot and get the empty hull out and put i live one in and shut the action and never move the gun from his foot til it was his turn to shoot again . i emmediatly walked over and stopped them from shooting and explained to everyone why i stopped them . then one of the parents stopped me and asked why i stopped them and was little pissy about it and i told them too that they were going to be carrying there kid out of here if he did not quit putting the gun on his foot . SAFTEY SAFTEY SAFTEY DRILL IT INTO THERE HEAD

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

common seance will go along way.

tony

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Another zero gene pool offspring!

AndyH ;-)

10. GD

GD TS Member

Give us some more pictures maybe that will register what can happen.

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>> Give us some more pictures maybe that will register what can happen.

They're pretty bad, if the moderators say it's "OK", then I'll post them.

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Years ago I shot games with an older guy maybe in his late 70,s and he shot a Model-12 Winchester . He shot a release trigger and if we were shooting a protection and if he was the second shooter and did,t need to shoot he would HOLD the trigger untill his turn again WITN THE MUZZLE ON HIS FOOT . I,m sure he is gone now as that was 30 years ago .

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Josh---You hit the nail on the head so to speak. Its safe when its safe and its not when its not. If you shoot your foot then you didn't have enough safety training and you should not be allowed near a gun. Its as simple as that.----Matt

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Yes I do. Placing the open gun on my toe protector relieves the pain in my back. I could take prescription drugs to stop the pain but I feel the toe protector is the safer of the two. Post-2

15. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Show the pics, he still has his toes, they are just thin......You might save someone else. GOOD LUCK

16. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

For those who think it is unsafe to have an open o/u resting on your toe because a shell can go off at any time, consider the loss if the shell went off in your pocket.

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

With a break open what's the problem? If it wasn't safe do you think there would be so many toe rest pads on the market?

18. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Buy a T&K Magnetic Barrel Rest. You can buy them through Shotgun Sports Magazine and they combine safety with comfort. Years ago I saw a device that uses adhesive to mount on the end of the barrel with a short protrusion that allows you to rest your barrel on the concrete without contact to the barrel. Could make one up, I suppose with a small wood dowel and some contact tape.

19. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

We a similar accident here in Texas in the 4H....hot shot kid would load with the barrel on his foot and swing the butt up to close the action and the roll on up into his mount...it was his STYLE. A style his parent or coach should have corrected

Now no kid or adult in 4H can use a toe tab to rest the gun barrel....that's a big handicap for some of these little guys...they have to hold the gun's weight all the time or use one of those magnet pads. Classic example of how one dumb a$$ can effect all of us.

Cheap trick...pick up a few of those truck tire treads you see on the side of the road. Jigsaw into about 6" pieces and place on every pad. They make good barrel rests, cheap, won't blow away, won't rot in your lifetime, and if someone swipes one...who cares!

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Never.

I use one of those rubber pads with a magnet in them. Works great.

"Never point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot."

If the shell in a break open gun went off with the action open, there would be little or no damage to one's foot.

But that's not the problem.

The problem is that one time, you're not paying attention, something distracts you, and you close the gun and bang. Happened at our club a few years back. As the story goes, the trap machine was having problems. While they were trying to fix it, this guy had the muzzle of the gun resting on his foot, and was closing the action, pulling the trigger on an empty chamber "click" and opening the action. Just a mindless thing to pass the time. They fixed the machine and went on with their round.

Unfortunately, the trap machine had a problem again. So this guy decides to while the time away by closing the action, pulling the trigger, only this time it went bang because he forgot to take the shell out of the chamber. Took the guy's foot off. Yes, a break action gun.

I agree it is unlikely, but I go back to the basic rules of safe gun handling. Don't point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot.

Here's the other thing. Kids see you resting your break-open gun barrel on your foot. They think its OK to do with their semi-auto or pump gun. They close the action with the gun still on their foot, and bang. Again, unlikely, but it happens.

I prefer to err on the side of overly safe.

I don't even like gun barrels pointed at me even when I can see the action is open. Just gives me a little pucker factor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

t&k magnetic barrel rest

tk magnetic barrel rest
where to piont your muzzle in trap