1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you remember?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 22hornet, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I am sitting here re-reading A Listening Walk by Gene Hill for the 50th or so time, and was thinking what a great bunch of writers Field and Stream magazine had. Some of my favorites were Gene Hill, Bob Brister, Ted Trueblood, Warren Page and Ed Zern. I miss them all. F&S just ain't the same.

2. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Don't forget Pat McManus. I re-read one of his books recently and laughed till I cried. I would reccomend any of his books for a truly enjoyable winter escape.
    Just seeing the names that you mentioned brought back memories of the past.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

You guys are right. There used to be some good ones. And to think, there actually was a time when Gore Tex and snowboards hadn't been invented yet...

4. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I would add Jack Mitchell to the list.

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hornet.....I agree! I have an original copy of the Outdoor Life mag in which Jack O'Conner's very first article appeared. Thinking about giving it to the O'Conner museum in Lewiston, Idaho.

6. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Mr. Frazier;
    I like Pat McManus too!. His stories always crack me up. It's been awhile since I've read an Outdoor life. Do they still publish his column?

Unloader....I don't remember 0.19 per gallon for gas. I think I remember 30 cents for gas, 35 cents for smokes, and 25 cents for a 7 oz. pony bottle of Rolling Rock beer in the bars. Real Latrobe Rolling Rock....not that crap that A-B brews in Newark, NJ. How dare they!!!!

Hornet

7. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

18 cents,,Jan. 1962, in "No-where" Neb. at a go-op store, on my way to Offett AFB

8. The Stive

The Stive Member

I love to read Gene Hill. I have as many of his books that I can find. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.