1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you remember your first win in trapshooting?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    A couple times a year I clean out my reloading room. Last time I did this I was not able to completely finish.

It was raining today here in Milwaukee, so I decided to finish cleaning up my reloading room instead of going shooting.

I ran across my very first trophy that I ever won in trapshooting. I also found a picture that was taken with me holding my first trophy.

It was in the early 70's, as I still had black hair, and I was half the man I am today. I shot an old style BT99 that day, and I took runner up in class E with a score of 47 out of 50. I have a smile on my face like I had just won a new Corvette, as I was so happy and proud of myself. This trophy was so important to me as it was my first club championship shoot that I shot in at the Boxhorn gun club.

Lois Bennett took the picture of me as she was one of the owners of the club along with her husband Dick. Lois is no longer with us, but she was always nice to me and the other shooters as she made me feel like I was Dan Bonnilas that day.

This trophy means a lot to me as it was a time when shoots were very well attended, and the average working man could still afford to purchase a bag of shot and a pound of Red Dot powder without mortgaging the house.

Sadly, as I am looking at this photo I now realize that so many of my fellow shooters from that club championship shoot are no longer with us. I miss those days and those fellow shooting friends of mine.

Do you remember your first win in trapshooting? When and where did you win, and what was the prize?
    Steve Balistreri

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

My first "nice" trophy I have hanging in my office.

1983 Minnesota state shoot, Jimmy Robinson Preliminary handicap. I have a picture of Jimmy presenting me with this picture.

[​IMG]

3. senior smoke

Rick:
    That is so neat, and getting to meet Jimmy Robinson too. All Trapshooters owe a huge debt of gratitude to Jimmy for all the work he did through out the years in promoting our sport. I never got to meet him as I wish I did.
    Steve

4. C-Money

C-Money Member

I made 'A' class earlyer this year. Won my first 'A' class ATA event this past weekend. To me, this was a great accomplishment. Winning the runner up in Handi on the same day was some very tasty icing on the cake! It was a great weekend!

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember my first win. So far back that I couldn't tell you where or for what, but I well remember the adrenaline rush that lasted for days. The following week I had to drive a long distance by car for a business meeting. The whole drive there and back I relived the events of that winning day over and over. I was hooked for life!

milt

6. claydust0069

claydust0069 Member

Yes, I still have the set of Browning steak knives (unnopened) that was part of the trophy (along with cash). I had just started shooting trap and was only shooting singles. I showed up at this club on Sunday after church thinking I could still get into singles. It had closed ten minutes before I got there. They said, "You could shoot handicap." I asked what that would mean for yardage and they said I had to shoot from 20 yd line. I said, "no problem...12 feet ain't nothing." I actually tied with someone for high score (there were about 45 shooters) and the predetermined tie breaker was long run from back. I had run my final 25 and had a 24 on third trap so I won and got half a yard.

7. senior smoke

I think you will all agree that your first win is very special no matter the prize. At the time I won my first trophy Dan Bonnilas was the man in trapshooting.

In those early years I read every issue over and over of the American shotgunner magazine. That was a great magazine with interviews with trap's great shooters. They gave us numerous tips to possibly improve our scores at that time.

The 70's to me was a very special time for our sport. I remember Leo as a kid in that magazine. You just knew he would be great someday. I recall seeing Leo at the Grand American in Ohio in the early years when he shot an 1100.

I remember saying to myself that his 1100 looked like a toy gun in his hands. Of all the all Americans that I have personally met he was the nicest to talk to. In my opinion, he deserves everything he gets in this sport, as he has worked extremely hard at becoming one of the best shooters in the world.
    Steve

8. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

Its funny I stumbled upon this post. Just 20 minutes ago I was cleaning my computer space and found folded up the sheet from the first 3 rounds of trap I ever shot. I kept them because I wanted to see my average as well as if I ever got better. I had just the day before bought a shotgun (stoeger 26' barrel coach gun) I went up to just observe and see what the ettiquet was and a guy told me "go pay the man and come to the line we will point you in the right direction" My first round I hit 20/25 much to everyones surprize they said first time WOW the next round I had was 9/25 followed by 15/25, this sheet is dated 10/1/2011. Needless to say I WAS HOOKED! 2 weeks later I shot my first ATA shoot while on vacation in fla at Silver Dollar and shot a 78/100 I was tickled told my wife just 2 more and I would have averaged 20 per trap. One guy walked up to me and said "you broke alot of targets with that little gun. My first win wasin May when I earn a place on the NE ohio zone team in class C and won the HOA. July 7th I won my firstsingles in class C and also my first 100. Today 4 guns after my stoeger over 6600 ATA targets I finished in 5th place yesterday at Cardinal shooting center handicap championship beating out over 800 shooters and a shoot off I will never forget. The trophy is a mere trinket compared with the thrill of it all..oscar

9. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Not yet!

LOL

I cherish the "Father and Son" trophies that my son and I won (they're cheap items- just a 12 and a 20 hull, glued to a piece of wood - the Trap Chairman at my club is a cheapskate! LOL)

He has a pile of hardware..... And I remember HIS wins!

10. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

12 yrs old, Ft. Lupton Co, fireman had one trap out west of town, handcocked, borrowed Model 12. I hit all 5 from up close then 2 old guys and I went way back and I hit the only bird. Won a sack of groceries(I would bet they missed on purpose). That was in about 1954. That sack of groceries has cost me about $200,000 to date, but a lifetime of enjoyment.

11. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello,,

' 1957 ' We were in the Explorer Scouts , The event was MoSkeet Trap, 22 birdshot, Smoothbore rifles, mini - clays, great times .

Each Scout shot at 2 stationary clays on a fence post, then shot at 3 clays in the air. 4 of us hit 4 out of 5

To break the ties we then shot at 5 clays in the air, My first place prize was a 50 count box of 22 ammo. I can't remember how far the clays went, I remember that they were higher than my head, maybe 7 feet off the ground.

12. mette56

Great thread Steve! Trapshooters are story tellers. Some great stories above...thanks!

milt

13. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Was about 12 or 13 years old, shooting at Tahlequa Oklahoma. The newspaper reporter was there and took a pic of everyone that won a trophy. J.B. Curtsinger, me, Shirley Richardson, and I think J. B. Hunt. Wish I still had the newspaper but I lost it in a house fire years ago. Seems like a hundred years ago now. John

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I don't shoot registered, so does winning a turkey shoot count?

15. mette56

bcnu,

You should contact the newspaper direct and give them the exact date of the article. They should have it microfilm or other recording devise and should be able to provide you a copy of that article with pictures. I've done that before. Good luck,

milt

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

1967. I was 7 and the event was 50 singles n 50 handicap. I broke 67 and won high Jr. It was a stick man trophy at a club called Hilltop. Owner and club are long gone but ironically our local club is called Hilltop. Thirty miles and 4 decades seperate the two.

17. senior smoke

Brian:
    Brian:
    Yes, winning a turkey does count.
    Steve

A lot of you have some very interesting stories to tell about your first win. I have a friend who has a basement full of toasters, irons, lamps, still in boxes that he won at shoots and has never had a need to use them.

I asked him one time why he keeps them? He said each lamp, toaster, and iron has a story behind it.

I certainly had more fun years ago shooting and winning these type of prizes than today. One of the best days of shooting that I ever had ended in a shoot off that I won. I won a black metal stick with a black garbage bag attached. The guy said it was to be used for hunting geese???
    Steve

18. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Won a lewis class merchandise trophy at Fostoria,Ohio Times Review Newspaper shoot many moons ago. A pair of insulated underware & a box of cigars. Trophy's were donated by area merchants. These were 50 bird shoots & were very well attended with top shooters. Entry was a couple of bucks. AH! those were the days. Go shootin with 2 boxes of $1.00 reloads & $5.00 in your pocket.
    Clyde Doll

19. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

I have never seriously competed in trap shooting events but a high light that comes to mind is when a club that I joined years ago ( I have since rejoined the club) was having a fun shoot during it's pig roast day. We shot an Annie Oakley and a Wingding shoot and I won both events. They gave me two Olympic style metals to wear and I felt unbeatable with my Remington 100 3" mag. That is a memory!

20. senior smoke

Clyde:
    You are absolutely correct, those were some fun days. One time I shot at a chicken shoot and I tied for high score. They had us shoot off and stand in the back of a pick up truck as they strapped us in so not to fall out as they drove us in back of the 27 yard line while we shot targets. As usual, I lost, but that was dangerous and different.

I remember some shoots where they even had live turkeys for prizes. One day I won a butcher size porter house steak on a 50 bird event, as it was huge. I was so proud as I walked into the door of my house, I showed my wife and she asked how much did that steak cost me? I said $50.00. She said that sounds like a good deal, not!

To be young again, to shoot a 1,000 targets a week like I use to shoot. They are just fond memories now that put a smile on my face today. I hope the younger kids in this sport will have good times like most of us use to have.
    Steve

BigDave:
    You sound like you are still proud of those medals today as you should be. Great shooting.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

frank mccarthy trapshooter