1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you remember your first time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Do you remember your first time that you shot trap? What year was it, what gun did you use for shooting that day, and at what gun club? I had a score of 8 which is not that much lower than what I shoot today.

1970, old style BT99, Boxhorn's gun club.

Steve Balistreri

2. rudifer81

rudifer81 TS Member

1976, Ithaca Model 37, Beaver River F&GC

3. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

1968, 10 years old. Tailgate of my uncles 62 Chevy pick-up on the old cinder road west of town. 870 20 gauge and hand thrown targets.

1969 at the VFW in Bowling Green, Mo. (about 20 or so miles south of where Big Leo lives) on an actual trap field with 870 12 gauge.

4. C-Money

C-Money Member

I was 7, Edinboro Sportsman Club, Model 12, 20ga, Remington rabbit/squirrel 7 1/2 loads 7/8oz. I broke a 4 on each post for a 20 out of 25. I was hooked. I remember it like it was yesterday!

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

1956 or 57 at the Old Winchester GC in Ft Wayne Indiana, shot a model 12 solid rib 32" hunting gun. I was 15

6. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I shot true "TRAP" the first time in March 2005 at the Kingsburg Gun Club, Kingsburg, Cal. My Beretta 686 OU 1oz 8's. Shot a 24 first time on the line, been hooked ever since.

7. BobHoukOregon

BobHoukOregon Member

1955 - Sacramento Trap Club - I was 14 and wanted to get ready for Dove season

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Some of you started shooting at a very young age. No wonder some of you are so good.
    Steve

9. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

1982 Crumlin Sportsmens Asso.BT 99...kicked like a mule, hurt my face... broke an 18...Hooked for life....

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I was about 14. I had an Ithaca model 37 16 ga with full choke. My step dad took me to the long gone Horseshoe trap club in Bidwell Park, Chico California. I had 27 of my hand loads loaded on a Herter's "Lee" type loader one at a time. A guy showed me what to do and ran me through those 27 purple paper-cased loads. I shot with one eye closed and looked at the bead and hit 23 of those targets. When I was done I could see these old guys sitting in the bleachers talking excitedly and pointing at me.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Somewhere in the early 90's,

870 Wingmaster w/field stock.

Portland Gun Club

Abysmal score, low teens, due to severe crossfiring.

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I was 18 and she was 21, she guided me through a wonderful experience, made it the most beautiful thing that ever happened to me, and making sure I'm addicted to it.

Wait, are you talking about TRAP? SHOOT!

13. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

1973, Ithaca Model 37, Eau Claire Rod & Gun Club, Wis.

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Let me start it over, it was a long time ago, can't remember when, but before I was married for sure.

We are talking about shooting TRAP, right?

It was a Beretta ASE90 Gold. I shot a 15 at Chevron Rod & Gun Club in Los Angeles, CA.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

1971 when I was 11...at Baltimore Co F&G using my Ted Williams single barrel 30" full choke with hard plastic buttplate..only cost $1.50 a round for juniors and my uncle loadec me two boxes a week for free in return for scrounging all the once fired AA's left laying( no rule of club claiming all dropped hulls)

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was 26, started and had to pay my own way all the way almost 38 years ago ... Maywood Sportsmans Club in Elmhurst, Illinois ... Joined the ATA as a Life Member the second registered shoot I went to, best $50 I ever spent ... I bought an Antonio Zoli over/under (two triggers) from a guy at Maywood SC, talk about a gun that would kick the living S*%$ out of you ... I got smart and bought a Remington 1100 TC or TB with really fancy wood on it, then another kicker Winchester 101 over/ under, go figure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My first time was in a hotel in Omaha right before I left for the Air Force, she was going in the Army

Oh you were talking about something else LOL

The first clay pigeon shooting was on Sunday mornings on the farm started about 1966, we called it trap or skeet, but it was just shooting targets thrown from a hand trap, it was really pretty hard to hit when we were younger we had good arms and could really launch them

I would spend all Saturday night reloading the shells, then sell to my friends and family

Some if the most fun target shooting was when I was in gunners school in Castle AFB, they had a course set up and you would ride in a seat in the back of a pick up and as they drove around they hit trip wires and it would release the target

That was fun, and I am sure my practice on the farm helped, I was the best in my class

18. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Wingover Lodge.....Keokuk, Iowa.....1977

I was working for H J Heinz at the time and Wingover was owned by them The entire facility was managed by John Broughton (Grand American Champion in 1948). I happened to be asked to join our Group President for a day of shooting trap. The memory comes from the great one on one coaching that I got from John that day and many after that. The most disheartening part of the day was shooting against John while he shot his gun upside down and from the hip......he hammered every target to my measly 15.

Jim C

19. 548

548 Guest

Must have been 1978 or '79. Used a single shot H&R 20 ga. Didn't take long to put that back in the closet where it belonged and start using a BT99.

548_2008_030372.jpg

If I remember correctly, the shotgun was $49 new. :)

20. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

January 2003 at age 47. The location was Ontario Rod and Gun Club, Ontario NY and used my 12 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster with no rib. This was a prize shoot where I broke 6 of 10 and won a chicken.

The rest is history...

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

skeet keokuk